• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

More 2D Zelda?

C

Caleb, Of Asui

So, for a while now, I've noticed a trend with video games in general where most of the time 2d games are for portable platforms while 3d games go on consoles. The DS (and the PSP, I guess) began to change that by allowing 3d games to work on portable platforms without being something 2d with 3d gameplay like F-Zero. Now, more recently, with the Nintendo 3DS, it seems like the 3DS is limited to 3D games, and nobody is making anything 2D for it (let me clarify, I speak in terms of gameplay. 3D graphics can have 2D gameplay).

As we know, Zelda's most recent portable installments, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, have been 2D in terms of gameplay (aside from the boat/train portions); however, with the 3DS, we're already seeing a full 3D title, Ocarina of Time, being remade. More likely than not, the first original Zelda title for the 3DS will be 3D as well. It's highly unlikely that we'll see walking portions be 2D like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. And on the Wii, games usually need to be very much 3D to implement Wii controls, which is something I don't see Nintendo backing out on with Zelda.

Where is our 2D Zelda, then? From a number of other games shown at E3 this year, I think it's safe to say that the new example being set is that games released on home consoles should either have motion controls or have a multi-player feature in the main gameplay. The way it looks, motion controls can usually only be used in 3D games, while multi-player tends to work better with 2D gameplay...

... which brings me back to Zelda. For the 3DS, I think we're only going to get 3D games. For the Wii, I think there will be mainly games with motion controls, meaning they will have to be 3D. Will we, then, ever see a 2D Zelda game ever again? Notice what I said earlier about multi-player on home consoles: it usually works better with 2D games.

My examples (New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Donkey Kong Country Returns) are all platformers (note: the latter two can have 2P). They haven't really had 2D multi-player games on the Wii other than these; however, look at Four Swords Adventures on the GameCube. That's the only remaining 2D Zelda game that cannot be played on a portable platform. This leads me to believe that, if we are to ever see a 2D Zelda game again, it will be a return of the Four Swords concept, or else some other iteration of multi-player Zelda.

I realize that having to have four players can limit the amount of exploring or puzzle-solving possible. If they were to go the route of two-player, however, maybe it wouldn't be limited as severely.

What do you think? Does the return of 2D Zelda require multi-player? Do you think Nintendo might consider using two players? Or is it possible that we will never see a 2D Zelda game again?

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
You made some great points, and I really enjoyed reading that. And, I hope we see more 2D Zelda games, and I hope that it doesn't need multiplayer. I like 2D better than 3D, and normal better than 2 players. The way Nintendo's going, it looks like we're not going to see anymore 2D Zelda games.

2D
LoZ - 1988
AoL (technically) - 1989
ALttP - 1992
LA - 1993
OoA - 2001
OoS - 2001
FS - 2002
FSA - 2004
MC - 2005

3D
OoT - 1998
MM - 2000
WW - 2003
TP - 2006
PH - 2007
ST - 2009
SS - 2011

Look at the years. You can see the longest 2D break was 8 years, but 5 of those years were the development of the very first 3D Zelda title. That being said, look at it from the latest to now. MC to SS. They've never had 2 games in the same year, so if the next Zelda game was 2D, it would have to come out in 2012. That's 7 years since the last one, and it wasn't all development, it was just all 3D games. The way Nintendo's going, I don't think that we're ever going to see another 2D Zelda game. It just gets me in the heart :kawaii: :cry:

C

Caleb, Of Asui

You should note that I classify Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks as 2D games for the most part, although for the other part (the boat and the train) it's 3D. Maybe the DS's life span will continue a bit longer than I anticipate, giving them time to maybe release another DS game. By the time everything DS has been consumed by the 3DS, however, everything's going to be 3D gameplay on the 3DS from then on out, including any Zelda titles.

You do make a point about 2D graphics, since the graphics of the DS titles are still 3D. It seems like for gaming in general 2D graphics are fading away. Microsoft's and Sony's consoles have been 3D-graphics-only for a long time (the PSP included), and the only Nintendo platform left that uses 2D graphics is the DS. Once the final stretch of DS games is released, 2D might as well be gone forever. It is indeed a little bit saddening. On the bright side, games that are 2D will seem even more retro. 8)

In regards to 2D gameplay, however, it does seem as if Nintendo's trying to keep that alive on the Wii with 2D multiplayer games. I personally like Four Swords a lot, so I would be absolutely welcome to a new four-player Zelda game. Aonuma has said that they're thinking about bringing it back. One thing I can imagine them doing, just so they can realistically release another 2D Zelda title, is make the game more single-player-based, while the second player can help with things and tag along, though player one would still be in charge of movement from screen to screen. Then there would be no need to limit exploration as much as they did in Four Swords Adventures. I think that's sort of what I was thinking before when I said that it wouldn't be limited as much with only two players. Having two instead of four isn't altogether unlikely, either. Look at Kirby's Epic Yarn and Donkey Kong Country Returns; they can both be played with two people, but not three or four.

MW7

Your evidence does seem pretty strong. I hate to say it but a new single player 2d Zelda game might never happen. Multiplayer games would be better than no 2d at all, but I think Nintendo understands that Zelda is one series that is best as a single-player experience. For this reason I think a new single player 2d Zelda game will probably be made but not anytime soon. Like you said the 3ds wasn't made to play 2d games, but Nintendo needs to remember that many people still like to see 2d Zelda games. Since a single player 2d Zelda game just wouldn't be made for a console, it has to be for a handheld but it won't be anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom