• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Monster Hunter Monster Hunter Rise

Quin

Disaster Master
I didn't realise this was just a timed exclusive. I wonder what the ported versions will be like.
Only gonna be PC according to the leaks, but who knows
Better graphics and unlocked/better framerates are a given. Probably gonna double dip on this one. 30 fps is fine and all if its steady, but 60 is so much nicer, and I'm probably gonna spend a lot of time with this game.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Yeah they got posted early, but it's still better to post the official ones when they come up. Sword and Shield is another weapon I favor, and it's looking pretty good here. Wasn't terribly fond of it in World, so I dunno. I hope I can enjoy it here as much as I did in GenU.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Two more videos today, as well. Gunlance has always been my absolute least favorite weapon in the series. I'd rather use a gunner weapon than that. Insect Glaive follows its World moveset, and it was pretty solid there, so that's good.

Also I'm really excited to hear what I believe is Bryce Papenbrook's voice in that glaive trailer. He's my favorite voice actor. Makes me wanna use the hunter voices even more. please let use choose specific phrases tho for the love of god

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

After a weekend break, they're putting some more out. I used Switch Axe a lot in 3U and GenU but not so much in World. Looks pretty fun here. Great Sword is something I always try to like but I just can't like it outside of aerial style in GenU. Maybe wirebug will help with that.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Eq9AnnCW4AEVskb.jpg%3Alarge

This should be good. I wonder if this is gonna introduce us to the demo/beta.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Lots of good info today! Let's go piece by piece.

New trailer showed off a lot of good stuff! A new icy map, a new monster called Goss Harag which looks amazing, returning monsters such as Lagombi, Great Baggi, Khezu, Tigrex, Barioth, and Mizutsune, a new gameplay mechanics called Wyvern Riding that appears to be replacing the mounting system and it looks absolutely bonkers, they showed off the gathering hub and a bunch of new characters, we got our first look at Magnamalo gameplay, and finally we got a demo shadowdrop! Such an exciting stream. :)

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Played the demo for a while. Got through the tutorials and beginner mission. Started the intermediate mission and barely made a dent in the monster for that one. Ran into a bit of a brick wall with it. I have a somewhat positive opinion of it overall. Hopefully there's equipment or other items you can get to speed up fights in the full game (or maybe in the demo and I just haven't discovered them yet).

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Some quick demo impressions.

I did the trainings first, and I gotta say, the wirebug was an adjustment but I'm starting to get the hang of using it naturally. Its kinda throwing me off that dash and weapon actions like guarding and demon mode aren't the same button anymore. I'll have to take some time getting used to that. I ended up switching zr/zl and r/l so that the wirebug is on r/l, and I like that a lot better. I used 6 weapons so far in the demo, and I'm gonna talk about each of them.
  • Dual Blades are my main, and that's not changing here. Their World moveset feels a bit improved, or at least archdemon mode does. I'm happy about that. Wasn't thrilled with what World did to it. The silkbind moves are pretty fun and fluid, especially the one that's an adept evade from genu. I love that. I enjoyed them very much.
  • I was not happy with Sword and Shield. It feels like it mixed its old and new world movesets, and they butchered the momentum of the advancing slash. It has barely half the range it used to, so its no longer a gap-closer. That's total ass. Its silkbinds were kind of difficult to land, as well. Makes me sad, since sns is one of my favorite weapons usually.
  • Insect Glaive was about the same as in World, which is good, I guess. I'm not a fan of its silkbinds, but the rest was fine enough. I'm probably not gonna use it much, though.
  • Switch Axe feels like they made the transitions between sword and axe mode more fluid, with some moves coming out sooner in combos and others advancing forward when they didn't used to. I liked that. Its silkbinds are fun, too. Dunno how much I'll use it, but I did enjoy it.
  • Great Sword was a lot more fun than in World for me. The wirebug makes it kind of bootleg aerial style, which is what I was hoping for. It's a lot of fun to zoom in through the air, pull out your sword in midair, and slam it down on the monster. I got so involved in doing that that I actually forgot to test its silkbinds, lol.
  • Long Sword was also more fun than in World. I didn't like it there at all. I still can't figure out how to use iai, but its base moveset from old world feels a lot more faithful here than it did in World and I had more fun with it here. Its silkbinds are pretty satisfying, too. I might start to use it more again finally, whether I ever learn how to use iai or not.
I haven't done Mizutsune yet, but considering he was one of my favorites in Gen/U, I think I'm gonna enjoy him.

Quin

Disaster Master
Not liking many changes they made from the iceborne movesets, especially sword and shield and charge blade. I get that claw attacks would be removed but stuff like the slash turn and savage axe were just improvements, and the wirebug attacks aren't really cutting it for me.
liked what they did to mitzu though, crazy attacks.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Not liking many changes they made from the iceborne movesets, especially sword and shield and charge blade. I get that claw attacks would be removed but stuff like the slash turn and savage axe were just improvements, and the wirebug attacks aren't really cutting it for me.
liked what they did to mitzu though, crazy attacks.
Seems to be a general consensus that sns and cb got screwed over hard. I'm seeing a lot of complaints about glaive, too. Can't say I don't understand.

I did Mizu a few times last night and this morning, and man. He's incredibly fun. His new moves are exciting, and his fight is still like a dance, so I'm very happy. Visually, he looks gorgeous, too. His new theme is incredibly good with those vocals. THIS is how you do a returning monster justice. Can't wait to see his gear, as well. I love his weapons.

Playing with friends, some old players like me and some brand new with this game, is a ton of fun. Exploring the map has become second nature for me already, and it's extremely fun. I'm finding that I like the hunter voices on more than I expected to, even if some of the lines are cringey. So far, Rise is delivering pretty darn well.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
One thing I didn't mention before, but something I've been impressed with is the performance. Even though the resolution isn't spectacular, the game still looks and runs great on the Switch. Visuals look quite nice even at a distance and the frame rate, while not rock solid, is still incredibly consistent. Props to the MH team for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom