• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Microsoft Getting Verification-happy

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Don't get me wrong, I understand and appreciate the need for account security, but I personally think Microsoft is taking it a bit too far. So, I need to add a secondary e-mail to my e-mail account? Fine. It's pretty quick and painless and now I have another way to reset my password.

But today my x-box refused to let me play my games until I upped the security on my account. Now, first of all, I don't have a Gold membership, meaning I don't play games live. I actually use no online features on my 360. The only thing my x-box does online is update the software version from time to time... that's it. There really is no need for me to set up any additional verification on myself because I only use my console to play my games by myself. But when I refused I was warned that I would not be able to save my progress if I started playing my game without upping my account security.

So, I decided to just get it over with and added a second e-mail adress. But apparently my account was already attached to BOTH my e-mails. I actually had to provide my phone number so that I could get a stupid text with a verification code. Once that was done, I was allowed to go in and play my games. But when I logged into my e-mail just now, I had received an e-mail asking me to further verify my phone number. I clicked the verification link, then I had to log in all over again - and then I was actually asked to send a confirmation code to my second e-mail adress - all so that I could verify that the phone number I had added and verified - actually was mine... I mean, how much further are they gonna take this???

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Blood samples, passport identification and a 30-day interview process with 4 references.

I miss the like button.

I hear the kinect on the XBOX one will serve as a retinal and fingerprint scanner, anyone who tries to access the consoles unauthorised will be gassed by the device.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Oh yeah this happened to me a few months back funnily.

First time it went alright but whenever I tired to sign in to use the online services, while playing a game, it told me to update my security for some reason. I did so and they confirmed the changes but the next day, however, they told me that I had to do a different form of security under a backup email address. This wouldn't be a problem but considering my backup address was fake it become a problem.

I actually wasn't able to connect online for a week or so, at the time I wasn't that bothered but it was still annoying nonetheless, I don't know why they made something so simple so complicated.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Oh yeah this happened to me a few months back funnily.

First time it went alright but whenever I tired to sign in to use the online services, while playing a game, it told me to update my security for some reason. I did so and they confirmed the changes but the next day, however, they told me that I had to do a different form of security under a backup email address. This wouldn't be a problem but considering my backup address was fake it become a problem.

I actually wasn't able to connect online for a week or so, at the time I wasn't that bothered but it was still annoying nonetheless, I don't know why they made something so simple so complicated.

But I didn't even try to access any online services, I was just trying to play Fable 3, and my save files are all on my console, so no online features needed...

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
Had the same issue with this a few months ago. But now my xbox is offline only because I never used it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom