• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Metroid: Other M - In-depth Discussion

Okay, I know this is a Zelda forum. However, I was thinking that insight from hardcore fans of another one of Nintendo's major franchises might be something interesting to consider. Among the hardcore Metroid fanbase, Other M is somewhat split. From what I've seen over the past few years, opinions from that group tend to lean towards the "it's absolute crap" category. But, as someone who might not be as invested in Metroid as a whole, but has played Other M, what were your thoughts on it?

I won't post all of my thoughts in the OP, since it would probably be too long. But I would like to know this: Are you a HUGE fan of Metroid as a whole? Was Other M a good Metroid game? Was Other M a good game, but a terrible Metroid game? Or does Other M truly deserve the title of "one of the worst games ever", as some have labeled it? The game is extremely polarizing, which is why I think discussion could be interesting.

Also, I'd like to talk about all the elements of the game. The story, voice acting, mood, gameplay, bosses, structure, etc. Also, I think conversation about other Metroid games is extremely relevant; the first person view in Other M originated in the Prime series, the structure is very similar to Fusion, the story is obviously influenced by Super Metroid. All types of comparisons are probably well warranted.

So, my opinion on the game? I like it. I've played through it completely three separate times, two of them which were 100% runs.

Thoughts?

Also, I know there was a thread way back about the release of Other M, and I looked several pages back to see if I could fine one similar, but I didn't. This one is more about final thoughts of the game in retrospective than initial reactions back during the release.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I found the game to be a disappointment. The cutscenes were long and epically boring. They reduce Samus to a crying child and never amount to a compelling story.

Also, the gameplay is decent. Although I thought it got a little repetitive. I mean those look-around-with-the-wiimote sections were frustrating, and the constant fighting of monsters and tedious 1st person-can't-move missile systems were simply atrocious. I mean some of the basic platforming and boss battles were interesting. The simple combat against basic enemies never got too repetitive, but really, all that made me long for Prime 3.

I wanted Other M to show that the Wii had class. While it isn't terrible, it is a disappointment to someone who was becoming a Metroid Fan.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'm gonna start by answering the questions you asked at the beginning.

Are you a HUGE fan of Metroid as a whole? Was Other M a good Metroid game? Was Other M a good game, but a terrible Metroid game? Or does Other M truly deserve the title of "one of the worst games ever", as some have labeled it?

I would not describe myself as a "HUGE" Metroid fan but I do thoroughly enjoy the series and look forward to a new installment, should we ever get one.
I would not describe Other M as "a good game", and I would agree that it was "a terrible Metroid game".
I don't think it deserves to be called "one of the worst games ever". I mean, have you ever seen Gubble? But Other M is pretty bad.

In general, I hated the game. I struggle to find a single redeeming feature in it, and I'm really wracking my brain here. I sort of want to compare it to the Street Fighter movie for the "so-bad-its-entertaining" connection, but I can think of things I liked in that movie. Other M is more like the Mario Bros. movie: "Oh-God-why-is-this-happening-oh-please-let-me-die".

Ok, maybe not that bad, but there is certainly nothing positive I can say about the game except that it eventually ends. I could talk for ages about the game and no one wants that so I'll keep my points brief and expand in future posts if discussion continues.
- The story is appallingly written. It's like a first draft that was whipped up in a single day. The pacing is awful, the scenario is awful, the term 'characters' is far too generous, and the subtext is pasted onto the actual box and also hilariously inappropriate to the story. Every aspect of the story in Other M sings of amateurism and I often wondered whether Sakamoto was being serious or pulling my leg.

- The portrayal of Samus is so bad that I am listing it as a separate point to story. I've never read the manga (or any manga at all) so I don't know if the Samus of Other M is consistent with it, but if she is then I am very glad to have never known, until this thread, of a Metroid manga. Samus is one of the best examples of how a silent protagonist can be a boon to story-telling, particularly in the Prime games, and watching her stop being the person I thought she was for eighteen years and turn into a useless, helpless child with Daddy-issues was just about the worst part of the game.

- The gameplay is laughably simplistic and removes the joy that comes from traditional Metroid gameplay. No new power-ups, the existing ones are simplified so that they may as well not exist, auto-aim turns every fight into mashing the 1 Button, all of the enemies are fought in the same way to the point that there is, from a gameplay perspective, virtually no variety in them whatsoever, and with health and missiles regenerating there is very little reason to actually care about what happens in combat anyway. Using the Wiimote by itself was the biggest mistake they made when developing this game, and the fact that Sakamoto thought it would inspire creativity--which never once materialised in the game--just shows that he hadn't a clue.

- The game strips the exploration away from previous games by making every room a long corridor. There are a few larger, more open rooms but these are the rooms that either have no hidden objects or pathways, or make their hidden objects and pathways immediataely apparent to the player. Also, the reward of finding things is reduced since missile upgrades give you only 1 extra missile instead of five and most of the Energy Tanks are split into four parts, like Heart Pieces in Zelda (but unlike Zelda the only reward for an Energy Part is the Energy Part, not an interesting side-quest or a puzzle or learning a new way to use an item).

- Graphically I can't complain, but there's nothing to sing praises about either. They are simply graphics. They show what is happening. They are functional.

Yeah, I hated the game. Pretty much just hated it.

The statements provided in the above are representative of opinions, not facts. Taking what has been stated here too seriously will be treated as a sign of personal hollowness and a vain quest for validation through conflict driven by low self-esteem and any number of insecurities. Polite discussion is encouraged in place of circular argument that leaves everyone tired of humanity and needing a good lie down and a bourbon biscuit.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
- The portrayal of Samus is so bad that I am listing it as a separate point to story. I've never read the manga (or any manga at all) so I don't know if the Samus of Other M is consistent with it, but if she is then I am very glad to have never known, until this thread, of a Metroid manga. Samus is one of the best examples of how a silent protagonist can be a boon to story-telling, particularly in the Prime games, and watching her stop being the person I thought she was for eighteen years and turn into a useless, helpless child with Daddy-issues was just about the worst part of the game.

The Metroid manga is actually really, really good. It's set before the events of the original Metroid, showing a brief bit of Samus's childhood, how she came to live with the Chozo, how she and Adam met, and eventually drawing connections that lead up to the events of the original game. It's very well-written, with excellent dialogue and superb pacing, and it has a pretty tear-jerking moment. I'm not quite sure how Sakamoto managed to royally **** up the writing and execution of Samus in Other M, but it doesn't really matter, because it happened and it doesn't even remotely portray the quality of the manga.

- The gameplay is laughably simplistic and removes the joy that comes from traditional Metroid gameplay. No new power-ups, the existing ones are simplified so that they may as well not exist, auto-aim turns every fight into mashing the 1 Button, all of the enemies are fought in the same way to the point that there is, from a gameplay perspective, virtually no variety in them whatsoever, and with health and missiles regenerating there is very little reason to actually care about what happens in combat anyway. Using the Wiimote by itself was the biggest mistake they made when developing this game, and the fact that Sakamoto thought it would inspire creativity--which never once materialised in the game--just shows that he hadn't a clue.

I don't think you have a proper grasp of the game's core mechanics. It's really not a big deal that there aren't any new power-ups, since the game was a return to the series' side-scrolling roots, thereby reinstating the Speed Boost and Shinespark that the Primes unfortunately had to miss out on, and re-adapting other ones to their original state, only with slight adjustments to accommodate for the 3D level design. I don't see how they're "simplified" at all. They're certainly easier to use than in the 2D games, but is that really a problem? The 2D games often made using power-ups somewhat cumbersome, and streamlining was a pretty big necessity -- one that Other M addressed ideally. They're also not any simpler than they are in the Primes, i.e. they're not without depth and complexity.

Combat is drastically different than what was seen in any of the previous games. It's designed with a "run-'n-gun" style in mind, which is why enemies are much faster than ever before and why the sensemove mechanic was added in. It's based around twitch reflexes and the ability to outmaneuver your opponents, because there are a lot of them, and they're all extremely aggressive.

Health also doesn't regenerate on its own. I'm pretty sure you're aware of this, but you act as if it does. Well, it doesn't. It's only when your health reaches an extremely low point that you're allowed to recover SOME of it by standing PERFECTLY STILL and slowly refilling it, which will only actually take effect if you refill it all the way. It's not exactly easy to pull off during a fight, since, as I already covered, enemies are numerous and extremely aggressive. Missiles also only take on this roll because, along with health, enemies don't drop any. Just like with refilling lost health, you can only refill your missile tank if by standing still, opening yourself up to attacks, and it only refills if you recharge completely. The only other way to get missiles, as well as health, is via the Navigation Booths, which basically means you can't afford to constantly take abuse while not near any.

This also translates into why you only get one missile per upgrade. Since enemies don't drop any and you can refill your tank at any time, giving us five at a time would be ridiculously OP. It's a change in design to fit the other changes made. There's not really a reason to consider it a flaw.

And the Wii Remote is used just fine. I do think it'd have been better to use the Nunchuk, but the controls function properly and are pretty much second nature once you get the hang of them.

- The game strips the exploration away from previous games by making every room a long corridor. There are a few larger, more open rooms but these are the rooms that either have no hidden objects or pathways, or make their hidden objects and pathways immediataely apparent to the player. Also, the reward of finding things is reduced since missile upgrades give you only 1 extra missile instead of five and most of the Energy Tanks are split into four parts, like Heart Pieces in Zelda (but unlike Zelda the only reward for an Energy Part is the Energy Part, not an interesting side-quest or a puzzle or learning a new way to use an item).

The corridors aren't the problem. That's basically how the 2D games would have been had they been in 3D, and it's honestly not very different from the layout of the Prime games. The problem is the sheer restriction of where you're able to go for pretty much the entire first half of the game. The main cause of this is the doors that will arbitrarily lock behind you, preventing backtracking at certain points. It's not a problem once the second half kicks in, from what I can remember, but it's certainly a huge nuisance prior to. The game also isn't any more linear than Fusion, Prime 3, and Hunters.

It's also indisputably false that most of the Energy Tanks are split up. I think it's only three or four of them that are, which is unquestionably the minority. And since when have sidequests been part of any Metroid game? Collectibles have always been strictly "search and find", which, by the way, is actually used quite well with many of them. I was pretty surprised at how many I had missed when all of them were revealed upon reaching the post-game content, and the last 10%, or so, took a pretty good while to find. They're on-par with any previous Metroid games.

Salem

SICK
Here's a good video about Samus' characterisation in Other M:
[video=youtube;RqFm1ei6mjo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqFm1ei6mjo[/video]
It pretty much says everything I wanted to say on the subject on Samus herself in this game.

Untrue. Her character is perfectly in-line with the manga, which is 100% canon. She's SUPPOSED to be a naive and caring person with a hardened and angrier side, which was unquestionably displayed in Other M. The problem is the writing and execution surrounding this, which was absolute balls.
Even if you say the manga is canon and Other M's version of Samus matches it, that's not the point. Just watch this video to see what I mean.

The problem is the sheer restriction of where you're able to go for pretty much the entire first half of the game. The main cause of this is the doors that will arbitrarily lock behind you, preventing backtracking at certain points. It's not a problem once the second half kicks in, from what I can remember, but it's certainly a huge nuisance prior to. The game also isn't any more linear than Fusion, Prime 3, and Hunters.
It feels more like the last third rather than second half if you're being generous, In either case having arbitrary restrictions on where to go in a game based around exploration is just bad. Specially if the restriction were removed at the second half, that's is a HUGE chunk of the game you're just being guided with no options to go anywhere.

If they REALLY wanted the game to be super linear, they should have done away with the map COMPLETLY and divided the objections on a chapter by chapter progression. What I mean by that is the game(or Adam:rolleyes:) tells you to go to some place and do something, once you finish that mission, the chapter ends and you're taken to you next mission, or the end of that chapter that leads you to the beginning of the next if they just want the chapter/levels to blend in. This is pretty much how a lot of linear games in the market out there work.

What we got now is a game that doesn't do linearity OR non-linearity right.

Besides the bad characterisations of Samus and the gimped explorations I'll talk about the controls.

Switching from third-peson to first person to use the missiles is just awkward. I also don't like that you can't move during it. This game should have used the Nun-chuck and Wii-remote combination to have more buttons to work with.

Last edited:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
It's really not a big deal that there aren't any new power-ups, since the game was a return to the series' side-scrolling roots, thereby reinstating the Speed Boost and Shinespark that the Primes unfortunately had to miss out on, and re-adapting other ones to their original state, only with slight adjustments to accommodate for the 3D level design. I don't see how they're "simplified" at all. They're certainly easier to use than in the 2D games, but is that really a problem? The 2D games often made using power-ups somewhat cumbersome, and streamlining was a pretty big necessity -- one that Other M addressed ideally. They're also not any simpler than they are in the Primes, i.e. they're not without depth and complexity.

No new power-ups isn't a bad thing in itself, just a disappointment. If they weren't going to add anything new then they could have at least added a few more of the old, like the Spaser and the Hyper Beam. At east they would have fit the game's combat more than the Ice and Wave Beams. The ones they "adapted" for the game are a bad thing to me. The Ice Beam is a good example. In the original Metroid and in Super Metroid, the Ice Beam froze enemies so that you could use them as platforms. I think it was even necessary to do this at one point in Super. It meant that the weapon had an influence over level design and puzzles and was a bigger part of gameplay than just an aspect of the combat. In Other M it just makes your weapon do more damage. It still freezes things but only tiny creatures and anything in mid-air will fall, depriving the beam of one of its most interesting features from previous games. The way it is adapted in Other M just makes it a more powerful beam attack and strips its other uses away. This is what I mean when I say things were simplified.

The Wave Beam is also less useful than it was in Super, its unique ability only being used a couple of times to hit switches. In combat it just makes you do more damage, while in Super it let you kill enemies on the other side of walls and whatnot. I'll put that one down to the use of 3D compared to 2D and the effect that has on level design but that just means that the Wave Beam wasn't a very good choice of power-up to bring back for this game. Super Missiles are in the same boat, only being used to open a couple of doors. You can use them in combat, sure, but with the way you have to stop moving entirely to use them it's really not worth the hassle. They went from being a powerful weapon to being a key.

I'll agree that Other M streamlined the use of power-ups, since using them is quicker and simpler than in previous games, but I myself would say it was far from the ideal solution. I didn't like how the Ice and Wave Beams were just automatically and permanently added to your attack because it made them nothing more than basic upgrades, not new abilities. Cycling through the row of missiles and bombs isn't as easy as just pointing the Wiimote at the screen, but the fact that using missiles costs you your legs makes me a heck of a lot less willing to actually use them.

I just think that Other M picked the wrong power-ups to bring back and did a really bad job of shoving them in there. Bringing back old power-ups isn't bad when they are power-ups that work for the new game, but given how Other M is designed, the Ice and Wave Beams, Super Missiles, and even the Speed Boost just don't fit (I include the Speed Boost because of its dependance on long corridors. Even the Speed Boost areas of Super didn't feel as forced as the ones in Other M). They were poor choices for this game, and poorly handled to boot. This is why I think of them as a bad thing.

Combat is drastically different than what was seen in any of the previous games. It's designed with a "run-'n-gun" style in mind

Absolutely, it certainly is, but just because it was designed that way doesn't mean they achieved that. The first thing that jumps to my mind is how using missiles--a staple weapon of the franchise and one used extensively by most Metroid players, I'd wager--actually stops you moving entirely. That does not fit in with the 'run-n-gun' style at all. It's the exact opposite, actually, a shooting gallery. The biggest problem with the combat for me was how it was one button (well two when you include the dodge). "Press 1 until your thumb falls off to win." The auto-aim is built into the combat and it drains any engagement from it because you aren't doing anything. You don't have to think or watch out or be careful because just stand in range, hit 1 enough times, and everything will be dead.

The dodge mechanic threatened to make things a little bit interesting but once you realise that timing is not necessary then it just becomes another thumb work out. The dodge only happens when an enemy is just about to attack, but pressing the button too early has no consequence. You can just press it continuously and still dodge pretty much everything. Maybe that was a conscious design decision, but the point of a 'run-n-gun' style is to make combat exciting by making each fight an event. Reducing combat to two buttons that can be spammed ad nauseum makes every fight boring and monotonous. The enemies are more aggressive but Samus is too, since there's no reason to not just keep hitting the shoot button like its going out of style.

In previous Metroid games I have had enemies really give me a thrashing before and I've had to consider what weapons to use and how to approach situations. None of that was present in Other M because, no matter what, I could just go in and turbo the 1 button and walk out more or less unharmed. That's why I think the combat is a bad thing.

This also translates into why you only get one missile per upgrade. Since enemies don't drop any and you can refill your tank at any time, giving us five at a time would be ridiculously OP. It's a change in design to fit the other changes made. There's not really a reason to consider it a flaw.

I agree that infinite missiles would have made a five missile upgrade too powerful, but my issue with upgrades only giving you one extra shot has nothing to do with the combat, that's why I put it in my little exploration point. My issue with them is that they aren't as much of a reward as they previously were. When the only reason to look for things is to find them, as it is in Metroid, what you find has to be worth the effort. One extra missile just isn't worth it to me.

I used the example of Zelda's Heart Pieces to show what I feel is an important difference. In Metroid you look for things and then find them and that's it. You've called that "search and find" so I'll do the same. The reward for finding an Energy Tank is having an extra Energy Tank. Simple. Nothing wrong with that. What Zelda does is give us other incentives to find the Heart Pieces. At the core, all they do is give the player more health, but the way they are found is quite different. While many are just found out in the world, many others are the prize for solving a puzzle while others still are rewards for completing side-quests, which are entertaining in themselves. There's more than just "search and find" and I feel that is necessary when the reward is quite small, as Heart Pieces are, since you need four to actually get a reward.

That's my issue with the Energy Parts in particular. They are Heart Pieces, in function, but they are Heart Pieces without the extra bit that makes finding a useless-on-its-own item worthwhile. There are nine Energy Tanks in Other M, four of them are acquired from Energy Parts. This means that of the twenty-one Energy Tank related items hidden in the game, sixteen of them are useless on their own. While you do find one more complete Energy Tank than you do split ones, the Energy Parts far outnumber the Tanks as hidden collectibles. This means that the vast majority of the time you spend building your Energy capacity (over 3/4 of it) is spent gathering things that have no value until you get three more.

When the reward in a "search and find" scenario, as it is in Other M, is small I feel like I've wasted my effort because I didn't really get anything in return. One missile feels like when a child scribbles on some paper, shows it to their parent, and gets a pat on the head and a "Well done". Previous Metroid games made it feel like being given a sweet instead. I prefer sweets to being patronised. I'm not saying that side-quests ever have been or even should be a part of Metroid; I just want to feel like I'm being rewarded for my efforts like in the older games.

And the Wii Remote is used just fine. I do think it'd have been better to use the Nunchuk, but the controls function properly and are pretty much second nature once you get the hang of them.

The controls function and they don't take getting used to but my problem with the use of the Wiimote is not about how it performs but about what it allows. Sroa Link said it well:
This game should have used the Nun-chuck and Wii-remote combination to have more buttons to work with.

That's my issue with the Wiimote. It gives us so few inputs that it is the root cause of the game's simplistic combat, controls, power-ups, and level design. Nothing demonstrates how the use of a single Wiimote restricts this game more than the missiles. To aim the missiles we snap to first-person but due to the layout and shape of the controller our only directional input is a small d-pad sat at the top point of the controller, just out of reach of the thumb without stretching. Rather than make players navigate in such an awkward manner they 'solved' the problem of moving in first-person by breaking your legs.

The lack of buttons (or at least well-placed buttons when the Wiimote is held sideways) also leads to having our Beam upgrades stack instead of being equiped in a menu since that would require another button and the only ones not being used by moving and doing things are in really awkward positions. It's just easier to have the Beams stack, but it also simplifies them and their use to the detriment of the game.

What's funny is that Sakamoto defends the use of the lone Wiimote by saying that technical restrictions, and the creative way around them, with the original game led to the Ice Beam, and he wanted to force the same thing to happen with Other M. This is made funnier by the fact that the specific benefit of the Ice Beam, which came from those early limitations, was removed entirely in this game. You don't force creativity and Sakamoto shot himself in the foot to try to come up with ideas. He then promptly came up with none and passed out due to blood loss. I'm pretty sure I've called the Wiimote "The Death of Creativity" before and Other M is just another title which stamps that into my mind.

Salem

SICK
I've seen the video, Sroa, and I agree with it 100%. What I said absolutely IS the point, though, because she wasn't "reduced to a crying child".
Well, I haven't read the manga so I don't know how that relates but I'll say this: I would have been okay with her portrayal in Other M if; She didn't freak out when she saw Ridley and the Varia suit wasn't handled awkwardly.

Also I would've like it of she wasn't COMPLETELY subservient to to Adam and co., not because of feminist issues or anything, I mean she's a mercenary, she isn't supposed to "follow" the military of the Galactic federation and whatever.

That's my issue with the Wiimote. It gives us so few inputs that it is the root cause of the game's simplistic combat, controls, power-ups, and level design. Nothing demonstrates how the use of a single Wiimote restricts this game more than the missiles. To aim the missiles we snap to first-person but due to the layout and shape of the controller our only directional input is a small d-pad sat at the top point of the controller, just out of reach of the thumb without stretching. Rather than make players navigate in such an awkward manner they 'solved' the problem of moving in first-person by breaking your legs.

The lack of buttons (or at least well-placed buttons when the Wiimote is held sideways) also leads to having our Beam upgrades stack instead of being equiped in a menu since that would require another button and the only ones not being used by moving and doing things are in really awkward positions. It's just easier to have the Beams stack, but it also simplifies them and their use to the detriment of the game.

What's funny is that Sakamoto defends the use of the lone Wiimote by saying that technical restrictions, and the creative way around them, with the original game led to the Ice Beam, and he wanted to force the same thing to happen with Other M. This is made funnier by the fact that the specific benefit of the Ice Beam, which came from those early limitations, was removed entirely in this game. You don't force creativity and Sakamoto shot himself in the foot to try to come up with ideas. He then promptly came up with none and passed out due to blood loss. I'm pretty sure I've called the Wiimote "The Death of Creativity" before and Other M is just another title which stamps that into my mind.

Here's the thing, I would have been 100% okay with the Wii-remote only controls IF ONLY we didn't have the missiles OR have a better way to use them.

I actually thought the game controls very well for a 3D game that uses a controller that barely has more buttons than a NES controller.

Also about the Wiimote "The Death of Creativity", I dunno, I feel as though it wasn't actually used to it's fullest, at least the Wii Remote Plus, not the regular controller. After playing the sword game from Wii Sport Resort, I was excited on what they would do next with it, and SS sort of delivered but I'll just leave at that it might derail this thread.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I don't think I'll ever understand your bizarre standpoint of motion controls limiting creativity.

That's why you don't understand it right there, I've never said motion controls limit creativity; I've said the Wiimote limits creativity. Motion controls are fine and I like them. It's just the Wiimote that I don't like due to it having fewer buttons than other modern controllers and because, despite it being in use for seven years now, we've only really seen it be particularly useful for a handful of actions, namely aiming and sword-fighting.

Also about the Wiimote "The Death of Creativity", I dunno, I feel as though it wasn't actually used to it's fullest, at least the Wii Remote Plus, not the regular controller. After playing the sword game from Wii Sport Resort, I was excited on what they would do next with it, and SS sort of delivered but I'll just leave at that it might derail this thread.

Well that's part of why I think the Wiimote is a creative dead-end; even Nintendo have failed to do anything particularly amazing with it. Skyward Sword uses motion well but it still only uses it in a couple of ways that have been done before and, in some cases, done better. It's like everything the Wiimote could offer that was new was discovered in its first couple of years and then that was it.

Motion control itself has a place in gaming, but as far as I'm concerned, the Wiimote doesn't.

Seamlessly changing the topic, I also have to say that I didn't like Samus' reaction to Ridley in Other M, though I suppose from what I've been saying in this thread, that comes as no surprise. As far as I know, Ridley killed Samus' parents. I might be wrong about that but I vaguely recall reading something like that somewhere online once. Either that or Ridley caused some kind of trauma when Samus was a child. Juice might be able to elaborate on that detail. But, because of whatever happened when Samus was young, the idea that Ridley would trigger such a severe emotional response isn't out of place or even a bad idea. The bit that ruins it for me is that, by this point in the series chronology, Samus has fought and defeated Ridley on Zebes, on Tallon IV, those two times during Prime 3, and on Zebes again. Seeing Ridley alive and well for a sixth time shouldn't cause that kind of reaction. While the backstory for it is there, it makes no sense in this particular game because she's clearly already come to terms with her feelings in the years since.

And that Varia Suit thing was just plain awful. Samus is literally dying from exposure to the heat but she won't turn on her Varia Suit and save her own life because Daddy didn't give her the thumbs up. The story is my absolute least favourite aspect of this game and that moment made me pause the game and take a break while I tried to forget it/made a cup of tea and went over how stupid that scenario was in my mind.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I find Metroid: Other M to be a fantastic venture in what is otherwise a poorly advertised franchise. It's nothing short of perfection in my eyes, though the story could obviously use some patching up. But, really, what story is wholly perfect?

Untrue. Her character is perfectly in-line with the manga, which is 100% canon. She's SUPPOSED to be a naive and caring person with a hardened and angrier side, which was unquestionably displayed in Other M. The problem is the writing and execution surrounding this, which was absolute balls.

Neither the Zelda, nor the Metroid manga is canon.

Salem

SICK
Well that's part of why I think the Wiimote is a creative dead-end; even Nintendo have failed to do anything particularly amazing with it. Skyward Sword uses motion well but it still only uses it in a couple of ways that have been done before and, in some cases, done better. It's like everything the Wiimote could offer that was new was discovered in its first couple of years and then that was it.

Motion control itself has a place in gaming, but as far as I'm concerned, the Wiimote doesn't.
Honestly, I think the Wii-remote still has potential, it might be less likely to be utilised because the Wii U, Nintendo might wanna focus on the Gamepad, the current tech rather than Wiimote.

Seamlessly changing the topic, I also have to say that I didn't like Samus' reaction to Ridley in Other M, though I suppose from what I've been saying in this thread, that comes as no surprise. As far as I know, Ridley killed Samus' parents. I might be wrong about that but I vaguely recall reading something like that somewhere online once. Either that or Ridley caused some kind of trauma when Samus was a child. Juice might be able to elaborate on that detail. But, because of whatever happened when Samus was young, the idea that Ridley would trigger such a severe emotional response isn't out of place or even a bad idea. The bit that ruins it for me is that, by this point in the series chronology, Samus has fought and defeated Ridley on Zebes, on Tallon IV, those two times during Prime 3, and on Zebes again. Seeing Ridley alive and well for a sixth time shouldn't cause that kind of reaction. While the backstory for it is there, it makes no sense in this particular game because she's clearly already come to terms with her feelings in the years since.
Exactly, even if you didn't get the timeline right, the point is she fight him before, her reaction in this game should have been her first encounter with him in the NES one, but that one is foregone, they probably wanted to do that scene for the sake of it, disregarding Samus' history.

And that Varia Suit thing was just plain awful. Samus is literally dying from exposure to the heat but she won't turn on her Varia Suit and save her own life because Daddy didn't give her the thumbs up. The story is my absolute least favourite aspect of this game and that moment made me pause the game and take a break while I tried to forget it/made a cup of tea and went over how stupid that scenario was in my mind.
There are a number of ways they could have made Samus go to the volcano area without the Vario suit and NOT be awkward about it, but they didn't, so we ended it with this.

I find Metroid: Other M to be a fantastic venture in what is otherwise a poorly advertised franchise. It's nothing short of perfection in my eyes, though the story could obviously use some patching up. But, really, what story is wholly perfect?
The story is not the only thing wrong with it. Also it's not so much the story itself that's wrong, it's Samus's characterisation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom