• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Master Mode: Is it REALLY that hard?

Really that hard?

• Total voters

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
So I've been doing a bit of master mode on Breath of The Wild since I bought the DLC, and I'm thinking that it's really not that hard...

Sure, the enemies are now bumped up a level, but they're really not that different. Killing those floating guys is REALLY easy, and if you already know how to beat the enemies, and use your surroundings, then you really don't have a different game mode.

I kinda wish they had more of a Master Quest, instead of just a hard mode, and I kinda feel like that with other games like TP and WW, but let's just keep this one about BoTW.

What are your thoughts?

For me (and this goes for the trials too) i have to get used to not being OP again.

I got killed at a bokoblin camp a few times in Master Mode because i wasnt in the right mindset but once i'd adjusted i started to make quick and easy progress.

funnier6

Courage~
Well I used it as an opportunity to complete the game without any armor (with few exceptions) so in that case it's really hard, though if you went all out I guess it's not a very big jump from normal.

If it was your first playthough of the game, then I think it would make a big difference... but if you've already completed the game at least once, then I think that sort of balances it out, as you already know where everything is and how to beat all of the enemies.

Nah, it's not that hard. The enemies are more annoying to defeat than difficult given the health regeneration thing, and once you get better weapons all that's irrelevant anyway.

So no, it's not that hard. Especially not if you beat normal mode beforehand.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I still find it harder, even though I'm just as comfortable now with weapons and gear as I was in my normal mode file. The health regeneration makes fighting large groups of monsters at once totally impractical, so if you get surrounded it becomes very difficult to fight effectively. Plus there's the powerhouse gold lynels, as well. And with the durability factor, it really forces you to think more about what you're doing than ever before because of how much health gold monsters have, especially with the health regeneration. Even just that one aspect-- health regeneration-- really makes a big difference. I've had to change how I fight from normal mode in order to stay efficient. I actually find myself avoiding fights more often now. And this is all even after I've gotten a fully awakened Master Sword. Considering most camps are now full of gold and silver monsters, it's really easy to burn through its incredible durability. So yes, I find it a lot harder.

In and of itself, yes, Master Mode is harder. There is no debate about it. Stronger (meaning, more health) enemies to start the game, and health regeneration make the early-game progress harder to deal with. You have to approach "gangs" of enemies differently than before. Taking out snipers and lookouts becomes much more important. Planning out your attacks becomes much more important (ie: taking out snipers first ... maybe going in at night using stealth so you can steal/burn their weapons before waking them up ... using sneak-strikes to try to get some lower-tier enemies out of the way to thin the herd, etc). It even (basically) asks you to avoid some fight altogether if you don't NEED to clear a camp for whatever reason.

However, once you "level up", it's just like before, but takes a LITTLE longer to kill camps of enemies due to more silvers and some golds being in the game now.

Of course, with Master Mode came the inclusion of Majora's Mask. This is like the ace-of-spades-trump-card for the game. Even with Kilton's masks, those were just one monster type at a time. Now, the Majora's Mask acts as Boko/Mob/Liz/Lynel/Stal all at the same time. This practically "breaks" the game if you use it constantly. If you DO use it constantly, you almost never have to fight any of the normal enemies unless you just want to. You can enter camps, open chests, take weapons, etc. without them caring at all.

In terms of the Trial of the Sword on normal vs. master mode ... I just tried it on Master Mode the other day for the first time, and it was notably harder ... but admit I was not prepared to really deal with it. I just wasn't in the mood to really be strategic. I wanted to see how it was if I just used the same tactics as in normal mode. It didn't go well.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
@Wiggum Stal monsters aren't affected by the mask.

Yes i feel Master Mode is a lot tougher at the start i couldn't kill a chuchu and i am in fact relying on Amiibo weapons to get by, the strength of the enemies means you can't take them on straight up unless you're hyper aggressive and instead it's generally better to ignore or head shot them constantly. I think by the time you get to Hateno you can cope with the lower tier monsters.

Same here. I never get attacked by them unless some keese or chuchus attack me. Then they change their minds.

Exactly ... there are things that can "inadvertently" trigger the otherwise fooled enemies into attacking you ... but at face value, the Majora's Mask works as designed on living Bokos, Moblins, Lizals and Lynels, as well as on all the night stals. Interestingly enough, you can even brandish a weapon around them, and hit things, or shoot things with you bow, or even bomb things near them ... but as long as you don't make an obvious aggressive/threatening move towards them, they just watch you in a very curious manner.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
In case of the Lynels it doesn't last long. I tried it out a couple of times. I tried to take a pic and he instantly attacked me. I used my telescope on him and he attacked me. Then I did nothing on another try and stood there next to him not doing anything at all and after a while he started to roar and attacked me. While other enemies like moblins etc aren't attacking you until something triggers them , the lynels do attack you after a while. At least that's what happened to me like 7 times in a row.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
In case of the Lynels it doesn't last long. I tried it out a couple of times. I tried to take a pic and he instantly attacked me. I used my telescope on him and he attacked me. Then I did nothing on another try and stood there next to him not doing anything at all and after a while he started to roar and attacked me. While other enemies like moblins etc aren't attacking you until something triggers them , the lynels do attack you after a while. At least that's what happened to me like 7 times in a row.

crap now i'm worried bout ploymus Lynel......... I'm scared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom