• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Marriage

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
After being inspired by reading the shoutbox earlier I have decided to make a thread about marriage.

What do you forum dwellers think about it. Is it something you have been through or would like to experience one day? Or perhaps it is the case you hate the idea and never want it for yourself.

Personally I don't think you have to marry the person you love and it doesnt mean you love them more because a piece of paper. Still, I'd rather like to be married one day if the right person came along. It has just always appealed to me, the idea of marriage and going through the ceremony of it.

Marriage as a legal concept is mostly so you can share financial responsibility of one another. It doesn't make your feelings more official or anything, but there would be benefits of being married by law if you plan to live together for the rest of your lives.

I personally do not intend to get married. That puts a lot of stress on me that I'll have to take over all my responsibilities alone, but for my own personal values, I have made the choice to never be in a relationship—romantic or otherwise. That, by extension, rules out marriage for me. Disrespecting that is disrespecting me as an individual. That's not to say I'll never have a roommate or something but if they try to come onto me, I'm outta there.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I'd love to get married. :) But at the same time, I don't think I could handle it. I have a lot of trouble working with other people so I'm sure I would have trouble dealing with another person 24/7. I know it's normal to argue but I have a "my way or the highway" attitude that doesn't work well in those types of situations.

Plus I am very controlling when it comes to money. I could never be with someone who spends more than they save.

Reactions: Dio

Ninja

Well well well
Growing up and seeing how my parents marriage slowly fell apart, kind of put me off of marriage. I swore to myself that I would only get married to someone who I believed to be right for me, and someone that would still love me after the honeymoon stage has ended. Luckily, Jessie and I have been together for 8 years, engaged for 3, and are waiting for the perfect time to get married.

We are in zero rush despite our families begging us to get married and have kids. We want to get married at the right time, and the same goes for children. I don't want to bring a child into this world if we don't have our **** together, especially our financials. Jessie has started working as a nurse and we are pulling about $130k a year right now, and we want to pay off her debt ($7,000) car loan, so we will be debt free except the mortgage.

Marriage is just a piece of paper which binds people together, we aren't needing to that at this time. We have our own bank accounts with one joint account for bills, and we have our own beliefs about certain topics, but we respect each other enough to look past flaws and always communicate to have a healthy relationship. To be honest, if we never marry but stay together, that's fine with me. If we stay together but never have kids, well, that's fine with me too.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Marriage is just a big step in a relationship, and the idea of a relationship sounds good to me.

Forget the legal aspects of marriage for a moment. What marriage really means - from a relationship standpoint - is that you have found someone that you are willing to commit the rest of your life to, and them to you. You are professing to each other that no matter what happens, you're going to be true to each other and find a way to work things out ... to be a team ... to support/help each other so that you both can reach your goals in life ... together.

It's a wonderful commitment, though not an easy one. It's a shame that so many marriages fall apart these days.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I see a lot of people describing it from a legal standpoint, so as to not be redundant, I'll describe it from a religious one.

Marriage from a Christian standpoint is simple, it(like baptism) is a ceremony that reflects what has already happened in your heart. In other words, it's a proclamation to the world. In the Quran, God loves to see marriage. He'll bless married couples with sustenance. And married men are said to be very responsible.

Both scriptures go into detail about wive's duties and husband duties, but that's pretty much the gist of it.

Honestly, haven't read the Torah in about 5 years so idk what it says about marriage.

My personal opinion about it is that marriage is much more than what the state defines it as. I'm grateful to be married and it's honestly made me as happy as I've ever been.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Marriage?

cuqdx41.jpg

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I get that people see it as a legal contract and nothing more but even so I would love to walk down the aisle looking like a princess and commit to my partner in front of all our friends and family. Marriage is not great in my family and has fallen apart quite a few times but even so it's a massive step in any relationship and I can't wait for when it happens to me (although me and my partner have just bought a house so one step at a time lol)

Misty

Ronin
Gotta agree with the one that said it is a lot more than a legal or financial document. That feels like a characterization marriage received half by the raging of the gay marriage debate and half by this being the first generation experiencing the 50% divorce rate. Not that this should necessarily become a debate, but maybe to offer some perspective to people saying stuff like that and see if you still think it is just a financial or legal document.

One of my uncles was married for a great many years to his wife who was renowned in the mountainside as being a real c word unlike anything Godzilla or Feminism could hope to match. The sort of woman who gave rise to the Salem Witch trials. Now, I'll leave aside the fact he didn't divorce or kill her and hide the body early on, although I suspect that was driven by aspects of marriage not legal of financial as well. Around the time she and he were turning sixty she got diagnosed with (I may have this detail wrong) Alzheimer disease and was becoming even meaner than the ninth level of hell she was before. Now, no one, literally no one would have blamed him for plopping her in a home and running as fast as he could. She was headed for mean potato brain land fast and she wasn't really a saint. Instead, he took care of her until she died about 9ish years later with only slight help from her sister and during the end a in home nurse. And that isn't like taking care of a cat where you clean the litterbox and make sure there is food and a toilet to drink from. Think of an adult sized baby who hates and is frightened of you. His vow to love, honor, and protect her meant a lot more than financial or legal connection even though you could not have found a less deserving woman if you tried. It was partially religiously motivated certainly, but it was also that what he'd said when they were 20 still meant something forty years of unhappy marriage later. That's the sort of dignity and honor that comforts you on your death bed by knowing you meant what you said and you said what you meant.

And since someone already mentioned the religious, I'll mention the more...philosophical? (Probs bad word, but still).

I don't think anyone who gets married and stays married thinks it is going to be easy. Most know it won't be a peachy walk in the park. Stuff happens and life is hard. This isn't something I think is being ignored.

I think marriage for two people is as much a statement and promise about themselves as it is about the other person. It isn't just them saying "I think I've found someone I could tolerate hanging out with day in and day out until one of us croaks no matter what". They're saying "I promise to be the sort of person that no matter what happens I'm still here when things aren't fun anymore and may never be again". It's a hefty promise to make about yourself and about how you feel for another person. Dare I say an ambitious statement.

But that's what marriage is truly. It's making an ambitious promise and spending your life living up to it no matter how many times running away seemed like a good idea. And it might totally suck the entire time, but the point is that at the end if you kept that ambitious promise, you, like any other person who has done something terribly difficult and painful, can be proud of your achievement. And it is an achievement to take on that ambitious a promise and then succeed.

As for the piece of paper thing being put forth, committing to someone else financially, legally, medically, emotionally, physically, is a really hefty bet to make. That's called being all in and hitching your horses to the same apple cart. Now, call me judgemental, but that's more than a piece of paper and it's a lot more commitment than just being unpapered partners. Like, even the saying it is just thing smacks of calling grapes sour. If it were little, I don't think you'd have an even mildly strong opinion about getting one and you certainly wouldn't bother to degrade the concept.

I would like to be married one day but that requires finding soemone else who likes you enough. I've never found the right person, so I'm single still.

LinksASleeping

The Adventure Of Me
Having a child
Buying a home together
Getting married

That is how I rank the "Big 3", commitment-wise.

If you are married, but don't have any kids, it is easy to get out of. When you own a house and other joint property together, it is a big pain to split everything up, and if you have a kid with someone, you will be in each other's lives forever, unless one of you decides to not be in your child's life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom