• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majoras Mask

Well I was thinking about this, I don't remember there being a thread about it. But who thought it was a good idea to put Majoras soul into a mask? I mean you think about it and someone at one point was like wow the evil majora finally died, I better play the song of healing for him to secure his soul, we wouldn't want anything bad happening. So what do you guys think the meaning behind it was, do you think someone wanted to make the mask so it could be sealed away? Or made to be instantly destroyed one created so someone couldn't make another.

Caution: Dangerous levels of Zelda Theory approaching.

Did someone really place the demon inside the mask or did it burrow itself there? Surely as the mask tempted the Skull Kid (perhaps there was a true reason for him stealing that specific mask), the evil spirit of Majora exhibits strong free will.

As for possibly sealing the mask away, I don't see a purpose for that to occur. Throughout the course of Majora's Mask we never find out the true intentions of the Happy Mask Salesman. At the beginning he maintains, ""My mask... You did...get it back...Didn't you? What have you done to me!!! If you leave my mask out there, something terrible will happen!" As the story of Majora's Mask explains he was ambushed by the Skull Kid who stole the mask. The mask salesman appears to know more of Link outside of the events of Majora's Mask mentioning that retrieving the mask should be of no trouble to someone like him. Maybe he had some malicious intentions all along?

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

Caution: Dangerous levels of Zelda Theory approaching.

Did someone really place the demon inside the mask or did it burrow itself there? Surely as the mask tempted the Skull Kid (perhaps there was a true reason for him stealing that specific mask), the evil spirit of Majora exhibits strong free will.

As for possibly sealing the mask away, I don't see a purpose for that to occur. Throughout the course of Majora's Mask we never find out the true intentions of the Happy Mask Salesman. At the beginning he maintains, ""My mask... You did...get it back...Didn't you? What have you done to me!!! If you leave my mask out there, something terrible will happen!" As the story of Majora's Mask explains he was ambushed by the Skull Kid who stole the mask. The mask salesman appears to know more of Link outside of the events of Majora's Mask mentioning that retrieving the mask should be of no trouble to someone like him. Maybe he had some malicious intentions all along?

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

Or maybe he is part of an organization that is meant to protect the mask so nobody can get their hands on it to unleash the evil.

Perhaps a mask was the only thing that was readily available to the people who were imprisoning Majora. Or the creators of the game could have chosen it to be a mask for a much deeper meaning. For example it could symbolize the insanity that one might feel when grown up due to the fear and chaos in the world, and how these emotions seem to get the best of people. Thus when the Skull Kid comes upon the Happy Mask Salesman Majora's Mask could be calling to him. Also insane people don't really make plans all they really want is to cause destruction just like Majora wanting only to destroy Termina with the moon for no apparent reason.

I was always under the impression that the spirit was sealed away in the mask and hidden somewhere where the old tribe thought it couldn't be found. Then the HMS stumbled upon it and learned it's true history and power. The HMS seems to be a man obsessed with masks. I could see him hearing a rumor about Majora's Mask and spending years, if not decades, trying to find it's location and secrets.

Either way it's all theory. MM managed to leave so many questions, but did so in a way that didn't leave you feeling short changed. Of all the Zelda games MM is the most mysterious. That's part of why I love it so much.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Or maybe he is part of an organization that is meant to protect the mask so nobody can get their hands on it to unleash the evil.

The mask man is evil and I reckon he is behind the whole thing.

Skyward-Sword-Intro1.jpg

On the far right the demon on the end resembles him and his haircut.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Majora's Shadow said:
For example it could symbolize the insanity that one might feel when grown up due to the fear and chaos in the world, and how these emotions seem to get the best of people. Thus when the Skull Kid comes upon the Happy Mask Salesman Majora's Mask could be calling to him.

I've always believed this symbolic connection to exist myself. The Skull Kid is an allegory for the corrupting influence of society on children. During the events of Ocarina of Time he was a playful imp but everything went wrong when he found the mask.

Ganonking said:
The mask man is evil and I reckon he is behind the whole thing.

That's a valid possibility but as far as I'm aware the demons seen in the image you posted are Bokoblins, not Ghirahim's coworkers.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The song of Healing isn't the only reason why masks house spirits of the dead i think that Majora or should i say the sun Goddess was sealed inside the mask when she thought the Fierce Deity.

Fig

The Altruist
Ok, here are my thoughts on it, so please go easy on me:

In the Happy Mask Salesman's backstory, he states that there was a tribe who used dark magic to bring chaos to their enemies (not sure if those are the exact words or not). He later explains how the ancient tribe came to the idea of creating a mask that was filled with their dark magic, a mask that was capable of destroying the wearer's opponents very brutally. Being the ultimate source of the ancient tribe's power, it is possible that you used up all of its dark magic to create Majora's Mask. That said, when the ancient tribes tested it out, it was too much for even them to handle. Thus, the only logic solution was to hide it from other civilizations, making sure no one accidentally finds it again in the future generations of the world to come.

The song of Healing isn't the only reason why masks house spirits of the dead i think that Majora or should i say the sun Goddess was sealed inside the mask when she thought the Fierce Deity.
I never said it was the only way. Im just using it as an example I am not hear to prove anything to anyone I just think it is an interesting topic to talk about.

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
Majoras said he found the mask and its story was theres a ainchent tribe that sealed a evil spirit inside of it and it could destroy the world, but the tribe vanished so no one knew much about the mask.

P.s. majora is in zelda oot so is skull kid
majoras is in happy mask shop
skull kid is in lost woods :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom