• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Majora's Mask: Termina and Hyrule Differences and Similarities and More.

Majora's Mask in general.

Ok, so I'm pretty sure most of us remember the Postman from either Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask. Well, in Termina, everyone has a Hylerian counterpart. Everyone except the Skull Kid, Link (the goron with his name does NOT count) and the Happy Mask Salesman. Why is this? I don't think they could have two Link's runnig around but, what about the Happy Mask man? If he's Terminan then he has a Hylerian counterpart and if he's from Hyrule he has a Terminan counterpart. So, who is he? Back to the Postman, Termina's the first place we see him. Well, why does Hyrule suddenly get one, that looks and acts like him, AFTER the events of Majora's Mask? I think, this is a long shot, that maybe after Link saved Termina, the Postman followed, to deliver a letter. In Twilight Princess, about maybe let's say 500 years after the events of Majora's Mask, the same Postman is there. That would mean that anyone from Termina, when in Hyrule, will not age a single day. This could explain the Kokiri. What if the Kokiri are born in Termina and then, when they become the age 9 or 10, they are taken to Hyrule, with no memory of Termina. This is just a guess. I think this because the Kokiri never grow up and, if they never grow up, then they would be infants in Hyrule forever. It could be that the great Deku Tree has some kind of connection to Termina. You know, I would really love another Zelda game set in Termina, just to explain events that occured to make Termina what it is today.

Last edited:
It may just to make people know who it is. The Postman was in OoT too on the mask sidequest. I dont think there are any important similarities or something like that.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
This is a classic case of circular logic.
-The Kokiri don't age because they're born in Termina and Terminians don't age while they're in Hyrule.
-Terminians don't age while they're in Hyrule because the Kokiri don't age and it's the same postman between MM and TP.
Neither of these can be proven without the other first being true. You may have put some pieces together, but they don't fit with the rest of the puzzle.

Hmm... Well, I guess you're both right... But how about this? What if Termina is actually Hyrule in the future? This would mean that Hyrule went through a major change. It would also mean that the future Link would be somewhere else. This are just ideas.

WechyPichu

is hiding behind 7 froxie
I honestly don't know if there exists enough evidence to support this claim. How would this explain why the Kokiri can't leave the forest (even though that's explicitly contradicted in the credits of Ocarina of Time)?

They can, they will just age outside of Kokiri forest/Lost Woods/Sacred Forest Meadow

Both Skull Kid and Happy Mask Salesman appear in OoT (The Happy Mask Salesman owning a shop in Hyrule Castle Town and Skull Kid playing his flute in the Lost Forest). But I get what you're saying about there being an obvious connection between Hyrule and Termina.

Personally, I'm in the Termina-Is-A-Hallucination camp. But I'd still love to see a game similar to Majora's Mask taking place in an alternate universe of some kind.

Smoore

The Rational Theist
I honestly don't know if there exists enough evidence to support this claim. How would this explain why the Kokiri can't leave the forest (even though that's explicitly contradicted in the credits of Ocarina of Time)?

I think that the prohibition on leaving is meant to be precautionary. Not that leaving kills them, but that they have a sanctuary in the forest, so if they leave then they could expose it and be killed. Consider that the Koroks left the Forest Haven all the time, and a Kikwi left the forest in Skyward Sword (although the Kikwi-Kokiri connection hasn't been confirmed, to my knowledge).

Skull Kid is just a kid who got lost in lost woods and turned into a skull kid. his termina counterpart is a kid, or a kid that grew up since Skull Kid can't grow up. or maybe he was transformed a very long time ago and his human counterpart died.

Somehow this reminded me of how Johnny Akiba from Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2 showed up in Metal Gear Solid 3 which was years and years earlier (but he looks exactly the same) (However, I can not assume any of you are familiar with him and the series). Anyways turns out Johnny had a son, and he named him Johnny, and they took up the same profession and look exactly the same and do the exact same things.
So instantly the idea that the PostMan may have had a son or two and passed on the lineage of the postal service quickly popped into mind. Its not literally the same PostMan in OoT or TP just like its not literally the same Zelda in OoT and TP. In MM, however, it is most likely a re-imagining of the same PostMan in OoT, just as many other people were re-imagined in MM from OoT as if Link had literally entered into an alternate dimension and became victim to the Multiverse hypotheses.

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
I also think the Postman in TP is a descendant of tho one in OoT. They look the same because they wear the same uniform and they belong to the same blood-line.
However, the similarities between the Hylians and the people of Termina are still mysterious to me. Both theories (Hallucination and Parallel World) explain it: in the first, Link's mind would have used previously known faces to shape Termina's population, and in a parallel world, I believe it is quite usual that people evolve into the same appearance despite having different names and roles.

A

AcuallyAmDylan

This may be sort of straying away from where the topic is going, but the ominous personality of the Happy Mask Salesman in MM suggested to me that he isn't a copy of the salesman in OOT, but the same one. He stated that he travels throughout far lands, (like link is, traveling from Hyrule to Termina). The connection between both characters seems strong enough to suggest that both the salesman and Link have both met the same fate of traveling to the land of Termina

What about kefie? Or whatever the frig his name is?

I don't think he was in OOT.

Neither were the girl and her redead gibdo dad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom