• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask: Religious Metaphor?

S

Super Goombario

I heard something similar to this in an un-name place, and now I've been thinking about it...

Kokiri children turn into skull kids in the Lost Woods, Hylians turn into Stalfos. Link wandered into the Lost Woods to find Navi. He never found Navi, but he DID find this strange new world that can only be translated by the human mind; Link's imagination. Link dies in the Lost Woods, and Termina is a metaphor for Purgatory, the trials he must go through to reach "eternal peace".

In Twilight Princess, we see a large stalfos warrior known as the Hero's Shade, and he is the legendary Hero of Time. Apparently Link turned into a Stalfos and is now the Hero's Shade.

Also in Twilight Princess, we see a much... girlier Skull Kid than in Majora's Mask. Remember the creepy little Kokiri girl in OoT who you traded with to get the Biggoron sword? She's skull kid now.

Does it make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, so you're saying that Link died in the lost woods, and that the events of MM were just a way of sleeping peacefully in death? I guess it COULD be possible, but it's kind of grim for my taste. I would rather than the events in MM were real, and that after them, Link found his back to Hyrule and lived a happy life until he dies. He could become the "teacher" in TP as a result of his heroic deeds in Termina.

As for the Skull Kid in TP, I think that's a pretty good theory. Personally, I have no explanation of where it came from, so your's makes sense to me.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I heard something similar to this in an un-name place, and now I've been thinking about it...

Kokiri children turn into skull kids in the Lost Woods, Hylians turn into Stalfos. Link wandered into the Lost Woods to find Navi. He never found Navi, but he DID find this strange new world that can only be translated by the human mind; Link's imagination. Link dies in the Lost Woods, and Termina is a metaphor for Purgatory, the trials he must go through to reach "eternal peace".

In Twilight Princess, we see a large stalfos warrior known as the Hero's Shade, and he is the legendary Hero of Time. Apparently Link turned into a Stalfos and is now the Hero's Shade.

Also in Twilight Princess, we see a much... girlier Skull Kid than in Majora's Mask. Remember the creepy little Kokiri girl in OoT who you traded with to get the Biggoron sword? She's skull kid now.

Does it make sense?

I can see what you are getting at with these theories, but what is the girly skull kid in TP? My memory is a bit foggy...and even if she did turn into a skull kid, how do you know it is really her? There were several girl Kokori in the Village, and saying that it was her is kind of a long shot, unless she said something pertaining to any type of thing that she had done in OoT.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
It's a decently thought up theory but it fails in a couple of spots. First, at the end of MM, Link is seen waking up in the lost woods which implies that after saving Termina he went back to Hyrule (i.e. he's not dead).

Secondly, you are placing TP on the child timeline. There is no hero of time on the child timeline so the hero's shade cant be the hero of time.

The skull kid that you meet in TP says this, "that green outfit reminds me of this kid i ran into a while back" (not exact quote) which implies that its the same skull kid from MM.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
The skull kid that you meet in TP says this, "that green outfit reminds me of this kid i ran into a while back" (not exact quote) which implies that its the same skull kid from MM.

I'm sorry, I'm having a tough time remembering quite where you meet this skull kid. I'm not implying that you are lying, I'm just wondering who it is and where it is found...

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I'm sorry, I'm having a tough time remembering quite where you meet this skull kid. I'm not implying that you are lying, I'm just wondering who it is and where it is found...

I'm not 100% sure where. Try looking it up in a walkthrough or on Zeldawiki.

S

Super Goombario

You meet it in the Sacred Grove where you get the Master Sword and enter the 7th dungeon

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Skull kid in TP also knows Saria's Song which is another implication that it's the same Skull kid as in MM.

S

Super Goombario

No, that skull kid just randomly played the instrument, which is a DIFFERENT instrument than the original Skull Kid. Saria's Song is playing in the background.

S

Super Goombario

It in fact is JUST about that skull kid, I only mentioned the other Skull Kid in comparison to the TP one. Yes, the one that summons the puppets.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Is she the one with the horn that summons the puppets?

I'm sorry, I know this conversation isn't JUST about this skull kid, but I am really curious to know who this is!

Yes, that is the Skull Kid, but the gender is technically unknown, although in MM Skull Kid is a he and it's heavily implied that it's the same Skull Kid i.e. a male.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
Link dies in the Lost Woods, and Termina is a metaphor for Purgatory, the trials he must go through to reach "eternal peace".

at the end of MM, Link is seen waking up in the lost woods which implies that after saving Termina he went back to Hyrule (i.e. he's not dead).

perhaps link doesnt die, but perhaps because comatose or something similar. perhaps termina is a metaphor as goombario said, but not for purgatory. more for fighting his way out of his coma. if link were to die in termina, then link would die full stop. but he doesnt die, therefore he wakes up in the lost woods.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
perhaps link doesnt die, but perhaps because comatose or something similar. perhaps termina is a metaphor as goombario said, but not for purgatory. more for fighting his way out of his coma. if link were to die in termina, then link would die full stop. but he doesnt die, therefore he wakes up in the lost woods.

Doubtful. In WW, Phantom Ganon's sword has Hylian written on it. The Hylian translates to Zabora Gubora which are the names of the Terminian blacksmiths in MM. It could just be an easter egg, but if it is meant to be more than that then this is evidence that MM is, indeed, a parallel dimension and not some afterlife or coma-induced world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom