• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask is based on Dark Side of the Moon

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Didn't see this thread coming, eh? ;)

Now I know this theory is most likely false, and it's just for fun. But it would be interesting if parts of the game really were based on this classic album. I would love to hear what the creators would have to say about this.

Anyway, if you're not familiar with the Dark Side of the Moon, it's an album by the band Pink Floyd that came out this month in 1973. Many themes about life are in the lyrical content of this album, such as time, money, insanity, and death. This album is still popular today and remains one of the highest selling albums of all time.

And any Zelda fan should know about Majora's Mask and what it's about, even if they haven't played the game. But for those who don't know, Majora's Mask is about Link journeying through the Lost Woods in search of a dear friend (Navi, we assume.) and a Skull Kid wearing a mysterious mask appears and steals Link's ocarina and horse. The entire game revolves around a three-day clock system where you're pretty much on a race to beat the clock whenever you try to complete a dungeon or quest.

There are tons of themes in this Zelda game in particular, and the main themes of this game mirror the ones brought up in DSOTM album, ESPECIALLY time.

Here's a break down of the events in and out of order with the songs from the DSOTM album. -

Speak to Me/Breathe: Now, Speak To Me isn't exactly a song, it's more of a summary of what's coming on the album. So I'll skip that one. There is the voice that talks about always being mad, and we could relate that to how Link must be feeling; thrown into such a strange world with all these strange characters and turning into a few of them. Very Alice in Wonderland. But could Link just be schizophrenic??? The world may never know...

Okay, so Breathe. We start out with a cutscene featuring Link calmly riding through the Lost Woods on Epona, which has the same relaxing feeling as the music. But there's something you can't put your finger on that's bothering you...something very foreboding. Then we see these two mysterious fairies and the Skull Kid with the mask shows up.

navi-leaves-link.png

"Long you live, and high you fly, smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry...all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be."

"Long you live, and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, balanced on the biggest wave...you race towards an early grave..."

Keep in mind, I'm not a big fan of the Link is Dead theory, but I do think a lot of the game is about dealing with grief and early death.

On the Run: Picture the very first action scene in the whole game. Link is running to try and catch up with Skull Kid to get back his stolen belongings. There are no lyrics for this song, but the parallels for how this game and how the album flows are pretty remarkable.

Time: Pretty much sums up the whole game. When Link meets the Happy Mask Salesman in the clock tower, he explains to him that he needs a very important item back within three days since he is leaving Termina. The thing about this game when I played it at least, was this feeling of uneasiness because of the clock system. You're always nervous that you're running out of time, fearing the terrible fate that could occur to yourself and those around you will happen and there's nothing you can do. The song Time is just about that...getting one day closer to death, and realizing that if you don't use your time wisely, it could have very severe consequences.

Then we get to the flashback scene with Zelda and Link, and I think this lyric sums that up and transitions to the next song/scene pretty nicely:

hqdefault.jpg

"Home, home again...I like to be here when I can. And when I come home, cold and tried, it's good to warm my bones beside the fire. Far away, across the field...the tolling of the iron bell...calls the faithful to their knees, to hear the softly spoken magic spell."

The Great Gig in the Sky: This song is supposed to represent religion, and it actually had lyrics before the final take. Zelda references The Goddess of Time, who is supposedly helping Link throughout his time in Termina. Tatl mentions this Goddess as well, and they are praying to her for help with the current situation. A lot of people keep going in life because of faith, and because of the god they believe in, and I think the people of Hyrule and Termina do the same.

Money: This one is a bit of a stretch, since there's really no deep connection other than collecting rupees and taking them to the bank. You need money to get certain items in the game, and it's a drag to keep getting more if you forget to save up at the bank, but it has to be done in order to move on.

Us and Them: This song references war and death. We can make a connection here with the war that went on in Ikana long ago, and even in death the soldiers can't stop fighting with each other about everything. All in all, war always leads to many unnecessary deaths that could have easily been prevented.

majora_s_mask___welcome_to_ikana_castle_by_darkrika-d82ky9x.png

"Forward he cried from the rear...And the front rank died. The general is sat and the lines on the map
move from side to side....Black and blue...and who knows which is which and who is who. Up and down...and in the end it's only round and round. And round."

Any Colour You Like: No significance here. Just a good, old fashioned psychedelic rock number. I will take this as an opportunity to bring another interesting subject up. For those of you who know DSOTM, you might have heard about that crazy Wizard of Oz theory as well. I actually read an article once showing the bizarre similarities between Majora's Mask and the Wizard of Oz...comparing Navi to Toto, and things of that nature. And being transported to a different world altogether. Pretty neat stuff.
http://www.zeldainformer.com/articl...w-majoras-mask-is-similar-to-the-wizard-of-oz

Brain Damage: A song about insanity. We don't know if Link is insane, but we know for sure that Majora is. I mean, look at his fighting style! That's some crazy ****. Link is brought into Majora's insane world for the final boss fight towards the end of Majora's Mask with an ominous meadow, a strangely colorful room where all the bosses masks are hanging and come to life...it's very bizarre. Who wouldn't go insane dealing with Majora? And also, there's that thing he says when he gives you the Fierce Diety mask. I'm the bad guy? What's even going on here???

tumblr_n76gjlU0C11turwzjo1_500.gif

"The lunatic is on the grass...the lunatic is on the grass. You raise the blade, you make the change, you rearrange me 'til I'm sane. You lock the door, and throw away the key...and there's someone in my head, but it's not me."

Eclipse: It's simply a summary of all that's happened and all the themes brought up in both pieces. The ending of Majora's Mask is a bittersweet one; with Link and everyone parting ways, but at the same time, everyone is happy. But was it all just Majora's illusion? Was it Link's dream...or hell or something of the sort?

MM_Grief1-thumb-400x218-16868.jpg

"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."

And that's my theory! I tried doing some research to see if this has been brought up anywhere else, and the only thing I was able to find was a thread from another game forum and you can check out what they have to say here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197770-the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask/50642307

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Site Staff
Money: This one is a bit of a stretch, since there's really no deep connection other than collecting rupees and taking them to the bank. You need money to get certain items in the game, and it's a drag to keep getting more if you forget to save up at the bank, but it has to be done in order to move on.
Remember the skulltula house in the swamp? The man was cursed because of his greed. Someone told him there was a way to get rich inside the skulltula house, but he was cursed while inside. All because he wanted wealth. Of course this doesn't apply to Link but it's parallel to the pitfalls of money.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punk Rock Trash
I'm absolutely in love with this theory. And to contribute to your indifference with the song "Money". I think in this point in the game Link is noticing how Clock Town is ran by wealth; (He probably already visited both the Swamp and the Mountains, noting how those places are less influenced by wealth) I mean, literally everyone there is working except for the astronomer, the Bombers, and the people visiting for the carnival. Heck, the Milk Bar owner is at the Milk Bar preparing for opening all day! Money makes the world go 'round, and if you're not working all day, every day, you're stuck in Termina Field climbing a tree for 60 ruppees you "Stole from a crow".
Great theory. Definitly see the similarities however i believe this is a coincidince, especially a game made in japan.
That's interesting considering the entire Metal Gear Solid series and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom