• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mahakala inspiration for TP Ganondorf?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I saw this ring advertised today and I immediately thought of Ganon from TP. Zelda often takes inspiration from Eastern religions such as Taoism, Shinto, Hinduism and Buddhism so I thought that one of the deities could well have inspired Ganondorfs TP design. This ring was incorrectly called the Buddah of wealth which is not correct. Buhdda is a completely different person. I looked and found that Mahakala is associated with wealth in Japanese Buddhism. He is a jolly fellow and definitely not what is on the ring. Digging further I found that this is in fact Mahakala Bhairava, who is a fierce deity in Buddhism and Hinduism associated with annihilation.

His design is definitely similar to The Dorf. Instead of a forehead Jewel an eye is in its place creating a similar look. More similarities include the ornate headwear, eyebrows that meet the hairline, elongated bottom canines, earrings and chin strap beard. These lead me to believe that in some form he inspired the design for Ganondorf in TP.
51P0m1gy0ML._AC_.jpg

Dgd1lbpWkAAFmfJ.jpg

What do you think of this? Do you think the design is inspired by Mahakala Bhairava or do you have any other ideas?

In Buddhism the guy is also known as Yamantaka And has a piglike form too. His goal is to kill the god of death and prevent reincarnation and the achievement of enlightenment. Reincarnation is a big part of Zelda. The triforce trio seem to eternally reincarnate and I'm sure Ganon would love to put a stop to that for Link and Zelda.
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom