• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

LOZ and AOL Contains the Master Sword?

While looking at zelda.com for some Skyward Sword information (which isn't there, they're still hyping spirit tracks for some reason) I was looking through their encyclopedia and saw this

Magic Sword

See "Master Sword."

The Magic Sword (Or Magical Sword as I like to call it) is the final and best sword in the game in the Legend of Zelda and is likely carried over to Adventure of Link. Some people say that zelda.com is rarely correct, and I agree, but they are the main guys, and I looked at the Master Sword entry and saw this:

Master Sword

Hyrule's most legendary blade is the Master Sword. Forged centuries before becoming Link's most well-loved weapon, the Master Sword consists of more than just steel. It possesses a magical power which is aligned toward the forces of valor and kindness. The Master Sword will not allow itself to be held by just anyone. Only a pure soul filled with the forces of good may lay hands on the Master Sword.
The Legend of Zelda , The Adventure of Link , A Link to the Past , Link's Awakening , Ocarina of Time , Oracle of Ages , Oracle of Seasons , A Link to the Past / Four Swords , Wind Waker

The thing I'm looking at isn't the entry itself, but the games it is found in. It does say Legend of Zelda and it does say Adventure of Link. This means that the Magical Sword is very likely the Master Sword. (It isn't the Master Sword in the original game because it wasn't introduced until A Link to the Past and they're likely changing it because they liked the idea enough to implement it at a later date) Now, I know a lot of you absolutely hate zelda.com's encyclopedia entries, and I don't like them very much either, I find a lot of things incorrect as well, but if this is true, as some of the things there are, this raises some questions.

How did the Master Sword get placed in a graveyard? Did the last remaining owner die with it and it was buried with him? This all depends, if you place LOZ and AOL on the child timeline, that doesn't really work, as the ending quote of A Link to the Past claims this:
AND THE MASTER SWORD SLEEPS AGAIN... FOREVER!
This means that after a Link to the Past, there were no owners of the Master Sword after it and it was left in its original location (Likely the Pedestal of Time, from what Twilight Princess linked A Link to the Past with the temple of time crumbling) so that couldn't place on the child timeline.

Another possibility that is far more likely is that after Spirit Tracks (Either in the same land, or after the great sea dries up, I've heard both) the lands of LOZ and AOL are formed. There are no problems with this, so long as you don't place LTTP on the Adult timeline, as this really wouldn't work with the previous quote anyway, as the Link from the Wind Waker obtains the Master Sword. The Master Sword could have been found by the Link from Spirit Tracks and have been used by him, then buried in the graveyard we found in LOZ, or some other hero that isn't in any game, just in between the two, finds the Master Sword and it dies with him, placing it in the grave.

Likely, I'm just taking quotes from zelda.com too far. I've heard that they aren't canon anyway, and I would believe them, but I think this is likely a possibility. Feel free to yell at me with any of my knowledge flaws, and discuss. I find this very plausible.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I wouldn't say that anything from Zelda.com is canon, besides the names. I've been misled by their site way too many times. I remember looking for Twilight Princess videos, all they've had up there for 3 years was wallpaper. I thought TP was never released, then I found YouTube had a lot of videos. Anyway, I doubt the Magical Sword is the Master Sword, Zelda.com is broken enough as it is. While plausible, your theory is likely to not be true, because of Zelda.com's crappy translations/misinterpretation of information. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but Zelda.com is more often than not WRONG.

A

AKRedden

This is what I have come up with from evidence in the games themselves.
TLoZ and TAoL both contain a different version of the Master Sword which is the Magical Sword.
In ALttP, there were 4 levels of swords: the one given to Link in the beginning, then the Master Sword, then it was forged by Smithy, then it became the Golden Sword by the end of the game.
The Golden Sword and the Magical Sword (depending on what picture you can find), if you look at the hilt, mainly the pommel, of the Golden Sword it resembles the Magical Sword but the picture I found for the Magical Sword was cartoonish so the only other I could think of was on the cover of TAoL which still resembles the Golden Sword.

As far as the origin being in a graveyard, it is given to you by an old man in the graveyard so he could possibly be one of the decedents of the ALttP sages/maidens.

Again, this is just an opinion, speculation, so this is completely up for grabs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welbanks

My mom says im cool...
I remember how Zelda.com kept up the "Phantom Hourglass Countdown Timer" on the front page for months and months after it hit zero. Lol.

Its very possible but I wouldn't use Zelda.com to back my theory. I don't generally use anything directly from Nintendo, including manual text or developer quotes, for my theories. The only thing from Nintendo I use is in-game evidence. I think theorizing is best left to the fans and their individual opinions. The reason there are so many fans is because of the mystery of the story of Zelda and potential for debate.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Like other have stated, Zelda.com has made some pretty big errors, so you have to take most things with a grain of salt. Still, a lot of what is there could have been correct at one point, but then eventually became incorrect when newer games were released. A lot of the stuff there has been there long before any of the more recent Zelda titles, so you have to take that into consideration-- they aren't always screwing up, just most of the time. ;p

And then there are bits of information that, really, you can consider canon.... for the time being, anyway. Until a new game comes out and causes a discrepancy with the info on Zelda.com. Still, there are definitions there that don't contradict anything in the games, so it's alright to take some of the info as legitimate.

In any case, that's not what your post is about, now is it? I think your theory on the former name "Magic Sword" is possible. After all, they didn't come up the term "Master Sword" until later. Similarly, they didn't come up with the name "Ganondorf" until later, but it's the same guy. So, if it works in that case, it could work in the case of the Magic Sword, as well as a variety of other cases as well, I'm sure.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
In one of my AoL fanfics, I noted the Magical Sword being a form of the Master Sword, it just "changed form for a different time." In my quasi-Western AU fanfic, Link thinks that the Master Sword might have become the "Master Gun," but it did not. Cowboy had to learn his sword-skills.

I don't know about actual theory, though. I seem to remember hearing something about the Nintendo folks saying in an interview that the "Master Sword became the Magical Sword" as a ret-con, but that could just be a rumor. I've not actually seen text of said interview. It would seem that they didn't come up with the mythology surrounding the MS until ALTTP.

Pinecove

Last Chance
Its very possible but I wouldn't use Zelda.com to back my theory. I don't generally use anything directly from Nintendo, including manual text or developer quotes, for my theories. The only thing from Nintendo I use is in-game evidence. I think theorizing is best left to the fans and their individual opinions. The reason there are so many fans is because of the mystery of the story of Zelda and potential for debate.

Eh...lets not go too far. Zelda.com is created by NoA, who I agree we should not trust.
People like Aonuma however, I believe we can trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom