• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Item Inventory.

Would you like it if Nintendo decided to take a more realistic path on the amount of items link can carry? Kind of like in SS with the item storage, but actually factor in the size of the item, the weight, the amount. I feel like this would make the game more difficult having to choose which weapons/items you carry with you. It could also make the game more strategic, on which items work well together and when you need certain weapons/items.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I am against this idea. Zelda, in my opinion, does not need to get this realistic. And when playing any Zelda game, I like being able to use any item that I have at any time.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
There was something like this in Skyrim: If you collected too much gear, your character would walk and react way too slowly (think about Link trying to get somewhere while wearing the Iron Boots the entire time; it would work like that). In order to go back to a normal pace, you had to make the character discard a number of the items he was carrying. I don't see this sort of thing happening in Zelda, though it's always prone to happen.

Now to answer the question directly. A concern I'd have with this is how Link would cope with this happening. In Skyward Sword he could go to Skyloft's bazaar and visit the Item Check in order to drop off gear or take it along for the journey. But there was only one station that he could do that in. Just suppose that if SS employed the weigh and mass scenario that you present, but only had that single Item Check back in Skyloft... It sure would suck if we'd collected an excess amount of equipment in Faron Woods and had to trade a good portion of that in, because Link was moving like a slug to begin with. Although I might be complicating the usage of this concept to some degree, again, under the supposition that you couldn't drop anything, this would only extract frustration from the player.

The way I can see this working is by having multiple "Item Checks" conveniently situated within the separate regions of a new Hyrule—or of an entirely different land. A Castle Town and various villages or small habitations would work out pretty well, I suppose. I'm not a huge supporter of this idea, because, looking long-term, I see only a large amount of complaints which might spring from its implementation. Nevertheless, Nintendo wouldn't take it up on such a large scale without creating safeties—even fail-safes—for it; otherwise I could only see them not using it, since it would be a detriment moreso than a benefit.

This isn't a bad idea on your part, but it seems very hard to accomplish, and without a barrage of criticism that would possibly ensue.

It'd be an interesting mechanic but if they did that and continued with the you're-gonna-need-every-item-to-open-a-door type of play SS had, Link would progress through the game as if he were perpetually wearing the iron boots. Even though it'd be a nice element of strategy...

What i would like is instead of a more realistic approach to physics, a more realistic approach to the aesthetics... where the hell does he keep all of those items he carries? I'd like to see them on him, make him look a little bit more like a warrior equipped for a challenge... but that is neither here nor there.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
If you watched the Zelda Cartoon, you'll see Link has a magic pocket, that lets him store things of any size.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This would be a rather easy thing to accomplish -- think about it in terms of Resident Evil. Go to Resident Evil 4 with its attache case. You have to factor in the space (on a grid), and if you happen to come across another item, you wouldn't be able to fix it in willy nilly, it is almost like a puzzle of sorts. For optimum gear, you have to mix and match placements (well, that is if you don't have the Chicago Typerwriter -- that thing alone breaks the game lmao). I'm not so sure about factoring in weight, but size of the item would be cool!

OKAY, back to Zelda. This is a sweet idea imo. Like I said, it'd be an easy thing to accomplish and I don't see why not. We already took one step into realism with the adventure pouch, why not take it up a notch? :right:

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Nonono I don't want this to happen. This is a bit too realistic IMO.

Let's just acknowledge the fact that Link has a magical pocket able to store loads of items of all weights and sizes, and leave it at that. :)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
This sounds like it could be interesting. I've played an RPG called Zenonia that had this design, and it made things interesting. However, there was no item storage in that game, so if my inventory was too full, I'd get an "overweight" warning and my movements slowed down until I got rid of enough items. I think this would be interesting to have in a Zelda Game, however it could become very inconvenient. If you're far away from the item storage and you get overweight, it could become a pain to go back and deposit some items. It's not a bad idea, but it could easily become annoying, and I'm sure a lot of fans would hate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom