• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Links Hair.

Did anyone ever wounder why they turned Links hair blonde. It was brown originaly. Its not a big deal but I just wanted to know what you guys think about it.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I think there is some official art for the original games that has Link as a blond, it's just that in the acual game sprites, it's brown because it's all they could do at the time. In A Link to the Past, he's PINK of all things in the game sprite, whereas official art has him as blond - they were probably trying for a "strawberry blond" then.

Then there were the early 90s American cartoons that had him as a dark brunette. Perhaps Nintendo was trying to differentiate from those? Maybe once Ocarina of Time was in the works, they really wanted everyone to know "this is a different Link. BRIGHT YELLOW HAIR!"

I like it, myself. I'm a blonde. Blond ambition, baby! I wouldn't mind if they changed up his hair a bit in the future, though. I think a Link with long (to the center of the back) black hair would look quite good.

*blond vs. blonde. "Blond" is the male term, "blonde" is the female term. Yay weirdness in the English language!

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I suppose it suits him best. It goes with the green tunic. But I do like the random greeny yellowy hair in Spirit Tracks.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Well, like Shadsie said, the official artwork was blond. The sprites couldn't take blond that easily, considering how it was almost all pixels. Plus, does it really matter in the 2D titles? I mean, it's just a sprite, I personally don't stare at Link's hair while I'm playing ALttP.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I don't recall the official artwork for Link being blonde in the older games. In fact....*googles some images* he took on the blonde hair starting with Link's Awakening. The previous titles, The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link both featured him with brown hair.

Why exactly they did that, I'm not sure, but I have my own ideas....
Link is supposed to be a young and kind/pure person, and characters in media (films, anime & manga, cartoons, books, etc) often give the "good guy" a lighter color scheme to represent "light". That's why it's so common to see the opposite in bad guys; they often have dark color schemes and wear a lot of red/black/brown/etc. So, I imagine it was to better characterize Link's appearance and make him visually more fitting into the role of the protagonist.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
A friend told me she'd seen Japanese official art of early Link as a blond, and I think I saw one image from AoL on ZD's gallery archive. I could be mistaken.

It sounds a lot like the Blue Eyes trope. Blue eyes are often given to characters to denote purity/goodness/innocence.

... maybe *that's* why my own original story protagonists are often darkish-skinned, black-haired, or like one of my lighter-skinned/lighter hair characters, have brown eyes. I like subverting common tropes.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I think the blond fitted him well, I really didn't like seeing Link with brown in TP. But, it was a minor difference, didn't have too much impact on the fun I had with the Zelda series.

I don't know. I definitely prefer blondish Link to dark haired Link - either full on blond or the light brown of Twilight Princess. It just seems to suit his character better. And actually, I'm even surprised I feel that way because as a rule I prefer dark hair on guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom