• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Adventure Through OOT= Useless

H

Hiroshi Mishima

Okay, people here's the thing...

Link places the three jewels, unsealing the way to the Sacred Realm and the Triforce, while being trapped for 7 years after pulling the Master Sword. That's obvious, and the ramifications of what Gannondorf is able to do are equally so. Whenever Link puts the sword back or pulls it out, no time is being displaced he's simply being sent back 7 years "from the moment" he puts the sword back or pulls it out again. The way this works is the same way it worked in the Futurama movie "Bender's Big Score", where in we see that there were really MANY Benders under there who were simply waiting for the right time to come out until the last Bender was like "Hey, let's all come out at the same time". THAT is what created the paradox in the movie.

In Ocarina of Time you could see it as Link being in the same place several times over. Each time he places/pulls the sword, another timeline could potentially occur. However, because there is no interuption things work out as they're supposed to. The big thing here is why couldn't he just stick it in, and seal it up? Well it didn't work that way. That was the whole point of him having to play it out until the end and defeat Gannondorf, thereby releasing Zelda. In the end, she apologized to Link for taking away 7 years of his life and sent him back "to before any of it happened", and Link is returned to the moment he's on the grass with Zelda. They explain to the King and Gannondorf is exiled before he could ever come to power. What this does is create two specific timelines, which while not a paradox per say, is definitely an example of divergent history. It's the same thing that happened in Dragon Ball Z with Future Trunks changing the past, then going back to his own future and continuing his life there even though nothing changed in his timeline.

So in the end, we're left with two:
1) Link defeats Gannondorf and is sealed up by the 7 Sages and this leads us eventually to Link to the Past, etc.
2) Gannondorf is exiled and never rises to power within Hyrule in their lifetime, which could lead to several outcomes.

That's Ocarina of Time in a nutshell. However, because of future games, etc, this is all put down as to multiple timelines once again. Because Hyrule is still destroyed by Gannondorf in Wind Waker, he's still sealed.. somewhere... before Twilight Princess, and he was still seald in the Sacred Realm in Link to the Past. All the while being free to kidnap current Zelda while real Zelda is sleeping in Legend of Zelda, and attempted resurrection in Adventure's of Link where they needed his blood.

So I guess you COULD say that OoT was useless, but really it was a clever ruse by Nintendo to open the potential floodgates for a myriad of storylines, timelines, and plot devices all in the name of... "quantum." That excuse Voyager likes to use... No, really, it's just a perfect "first chapter" game because it really does open up for ALL the potential storylines because of divergent history.

Starchain1

A star
Time does get really confusing well basicly Ganon was going to do this stuff on the world anyway so Link wanted to stop it even though he sped up Ganon's progress

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
OMG link took the sowrd not ganondorf otherise it wouldnt be with link now would it. also i cant see how ganondorf left links body alone for 7 years i would have killed him then and there no problems then and the door of time was the key as well as the master sword like a key and lock masters sword is lock door of time is key you get taken back after its open. if this hurts your brain then dont think watch tv

Kirino

Tatakae
Because if Link just left the future ruined and went back to the past,and the ruined future still existed,the past would eventually become the future,and both the past and the future would be ruled by Ganondorf,so he had to go into the future to kill him.

if that happened, there would be no dispution over timeline theories. WHY CANT WE HAVE A WORLD LIKE THAT?!?!

T

tmiln15

Link had to go to the different temples to bring back the 6 sages so the 6 barriers could be broken in ganondorf's castle so Link could then defeat him.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Yet another topic by... me! :D
Here I am, exploting the game...

When Link is an adult, he knows he did the wrong thing when he took the Master Sword, because he let Ganon/dorf enter the sacred realm...

When you beat the Forest Temple, you can put the Master Sword on the stone to go back to the moment where you where NEXT to the Master Sword, but didn't take it yet.

The story... makes no sense to me.
Why does Link still go try to beat the temples?

He could easily leave the Master Sword there and live his life happily...
I mean, that way, Ganon/dorf would never be able to enter the Sacred Realm.

Any comments?
Opinions?

Link decided to save the future because it was the right thing to do; he was destined to be the Hero of Time, and he wouldn't leave the future Hyrule to suffer under Ganondorf's rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom