• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Linking ALBW To Its Predecessors

In the backstory of ALBW, both through its opening and a series of paintings in Hyrule Castle, it is said that, some time prior to the game, the Triforce was split again, Ganon reappeared and was sealed away with the Triforce of Power, and the other pieces were then hidden in their respective ways. However, this sequence of events directly contradicts the ending of ALttP (where Ganon was defeated) and the events in the Oracle games (in which Ganon was resurrected and defeated again, but the Triforce remained whole). Here's my attempt to reconcile them, via a few creative retcons based on details elsewhere in the series.

To start with, we need to examine precisely what happened to Ganon in ALttP. Upon being defeated, his body explodes and he disappears, which seems to indicate total death. However, a mere two games later, it is revealed that his spirit is very much alive- and, as Twinrova puts it, sealed in darkness. This seems to coincide with ALBW's backstory- and in the interests of reconciling them, we can thus conclude that Ganon was not destroyed in ALttP at all, but instead, his body was broken and his spirit sealed away. In order to revive him, Twinrova required a powerful energy source to break the seal- and they thus used the Dark flames to do so. However, Ganon was then defeated again, and so returned to the darkness- where he remained until ALBW.

This still fails to explain the splitting of the Triforce, however. To do so, we must take a look at the start of the Oracle games- Link rides to Hyrule Castle to do something with the Triforce (which, in light of the timeline, could involve using it on Zelda's orders to wish the Oracles to Hyrule), but is then cocooned in a strange light and sent on his way. As he is, however, a voice (or perhaps group of voices) tells him to "Accept our quest, Hero!" This, in addition to some details given in Hyrule Historia, hints that the Golden Goddesses may have been the speakers, and transported Link. However- and this is critical- they used the Triforce to do so, likely by remotely focusing their power through it. However they did it, though, as established in Skyward Sword, deities cannot use the Triforce. As a result, the relic was split, and the fragmented pieces then sought out their chosen wielders, with Link getting Courage, Zelda Wisdom, and Ganon Power. Several characters even reference the mark on Link's hand (which, up until now, was assumed to be a Mark of the Hero, and nothing more). From there, Ganon was re-sealed in the darkness with his ToP after his defeat; Zelda continued to hand down her ToW in the Royal Family; and Link left to continue his training (setting up the events of Link's Awakening in the process), taking the ToC with him.

Centuries later, Yuga used the power of the Seven Sages to once more release Ganon, while the other Triforce pieces were then revealed in their own time. Et vóila- ALBW now synergizes with the timeline, without any major loss of canon.

Thoughts?

I think this is probably as good of an explanation as I've seen if this is indeed the location of ALBW on the timeline. It assumes a little more than I'd like (specifically, Ganon receiving the Triforce of Power while being dead/sealed away), but it isn't bad.

That being said, I have spent quite a lot of time recently trying to figure out how ALBW's back story fits in with other games in the series, and I truthfully think that the proper location for this story is between OoT and Wind Waker. The Triforce remained split in the adult era of OoT, but is said to have been complete when King Daphnes made his wish resulting in the flooding of Hyrule; ALBW explains this transition. The paintings in Hyrule Castle seem to directly mirror the events pre-OoT and OoT itself; in fact, the back story is extremely close to the back story presented in ALTTP, except that instead of hearing about the Imprisoning War, we hear about the Hero that defeated Ganon.

While I don't consider geography to be a valid point of argument in the LoZ series, it would make sense that the map of ALTTP and ALBW are very similar across the two timelines; we can imagine they each occur roughly an equal time after the events of OoT. Also, and I admit that "Toon Link" or "Cat Eye Link" is present at different poinst across the timeline, it may be worth noting that Link's appearance when he travels along walls is not only similar to Toon Link, but very similar to Link as depicted in the ancient scrolls seen in Wind Waker. There is at least a loose artistic connection.

So, I believe we possibly have the means to fit this game into two timelines. I am unsure about the third at this point.

The only problem I can see with that is that Ganon was human at the end of OoT (in the Adult timeline branch, anyway), and was human in WW. Fitting ALBW between the two would thus require Ganon to inexplicably assume his beast form and lose his mind, before reassuming his human form and sanity. It doesn't seem to mesh very well. (Still a great idea, though!)

The only problem I can see with that is that Ganon was human at the end of OoT (in the Adult timeline branch, anyway), and was human in WW. Fitting ALBW between the two would thus require Ganon to inexplicably assume his beast form and lose his mind, before reassuming his human form and sanity. It doesn't seem to mesh very well. (Still a great idea, though!)

Good point, I hadn't considered that. That's a bit upsetting, because I really liked the idea of it existing there, and Yuga's summoning of Ganon could even help explain how Ganon escaped the Sacred Realm. I'm not convinced that this issue completely throws off my theory. Ganondorf does turn into his beast form during the final battle, but appears in his Gerudo form while being sealed. After being sealed for hundreds of years, aided by the Triforce of Power, I don't think it is unreasonable to imagine him losing his mind and regaining his beast form. Then, after Yuga has summoned him (and who knows what happens after Yuga/Ganon is defeated) perhaps his spirit, now outside of the Sacred Realm, is able to regain strength and sanity. I know that is a stretch, and it assumes more than I like, but I'm keeping it in reserve in my arsenal of ideas.

All of that being said, I read through your first post a few more times, and I have to admit that I like it more and more. It does make a few leaps, but in the interest of reconciling games that seem to try their hardest to not be reconciled, I don't think those leaps are that extreme. Yours are probably less extreme than those in my own theory above, so I'm definitely leaning more toward your placement than mine.

This is a bit of an aside, but I find it interesting that this game seems to solve one of the Zelda universe's biggest problems (The Triforce that is split but cannot be reunited) in a very nonchalant way. The unified Triforce is extremely powerful, and clearly it has been separated for some time at the beginning of ALBW. Wars are fought over this thing, and when the Kingdom possesses the Triforce, Hyrule enters into periods of prosperity. But, with Ganon sealed away, uniting the Triforce seems impossible. Link goes to Lorule in order to rescue the Sages, and it just turns out that because of Hilda's plan, the Triforce is made whole again. And, if your placement of this game is correct (I'm saying "your" for the purpose of this thread; obviously many people place the game here, but you've helped to connect the dots) then Hilda's lust for the Triforce is essentially what leads Hyrule into its Golden Era. No one in Hyrule would attempt to resurrect Ganon for his piece of the Triforce, but Hilda does (Yuga literally does, but essentially she does so under Hilda's command). There are just some interesting thematic elements there.

While we're on the subject, I have an idea about Yuga. What if he's Phantom Ganon (the boss of the Forest Temple in OoT)? Both of them have painting-related powers, both of them carry staff-like objects (Yuga's staff and P.G.'s trident) which they can use to generate lightning, and the latter was thrown into the "gap between dimensions" after his defeat, which takes on a whole new meaning with the events of ALBW.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
I don't know if any of you read Hyrule Historia, but ALBW is officially a direct sequel of ALttP. That puts it in the timeline that occurs after OoT when Link actually loses. That timeline consists of ALttP, OoS, OoA, LA, LoZ, and AoL. Since the events of ALttP, OoS, and OoA are mentioned in the backstory of ALBW, I would put it in between LA and LoZ.

Also, Ganon can never die. If he is indeed an incarnation of Demise, he will never be destroyed, just keep getting sealed away until he can break out and ruin Link and Zelda's whole damn day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom