• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link and the Many Customizations That He Doesn't Have

Okay, i know this might sound a little similar to the "Guns in Zelda?" thread, so if that's a strike two for me i understand, but i really want to know other Zelda fans opinions. Link has had the iconic sword and shield combo since game one, I am not suggesting to remove that, only to allow us to customize Link between full out offense or a balance of offense and defense. That's right, I am going for the idea of Link being able to wield a sword in both hands, or possibly a magic staff. I for one have been in more than a couple spots where I was sure I didn't need the shield and thought how cool it would be to have another sword. Or in OoT when I would lose my shield courtesy of a Like Like, how about putting the Kokiri Sword in the free hand, or even a staff for fire and ice? Basically the idea would be to have Link switch between carrying a sword/staff and shield, a sword and staff, or two shorter swords (two Biggoron size swords I think would be ridiculous). That way people who like Link as the classic sword and shield hero can still play as just that, while still giving us some different options, I know it sounds a little like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts but let me know what you think, thanks!

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I think it would be pretty cool to be able to swing two swords at once. Imagine how many bushes you could cut, or how many pots you could smash at once! HYYYYAAA! :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The shield is a major part of the series, so I really don't think that should be replaced with dual wielding. Besides, how would that work in a game with motion controls? Only a button-controlled game would be able to pull it off, and since the Wii MotionPlus is superior to the button controls, that would seem like a pretty odd move to make.

Magic I have no problem with, though, so long as it's actual spells and has practical use. This is something OoT & WW failed miserably at, and ALttP & MM only used it decently. Bring back the Zelda II type magic. By all means, have items that use magic, as well, but don't make them the focus point.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Links Awakening DX, let you pick a blue tunic for take half damage, or a red tunic for double sword damage.
Oracle Games, had something like hundred rings, with varried effects from reduced dmg to increased dmg, to let me use multiple bombs at once , to Weee i'm a LikeLike

If they brought back rings in a 3d installment that'd be awesome, the colored tunic upgrade.

2 Handed Sword did appear in OoT, MM, WW had the hammer (its a 2 handed weapon so it counts for this) I think there was even a big goron sword hidden some where in the Oracle games, but i never got it myself.

But the games have shifted to limiting choice, rather then encouraging it though, so...

How ever such options have existed.

edit:

and No reason the motion can't handle 2 swords if they swing together, or use a trigger or something to alter the 2nd swords motion compared to the first one.

Fig

The Altruist
It does sound a bit like Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy, but that will be awesome to use some spells and magic in the Zelda series. After all, it is in the fantasy genre. I would love to see Link have different battle styles depending on his powers and weapons! Now I want to play some Kingdom Hearts! :lol:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What's wrong with Link having Drive forms, limits, different weapons with different stats and so on? ;P

I really don't see any problems with Link equipping different weapons. I'd love to see Link dual wield, I mean, sure it'd be vastly (vastly is an understatement) different from what we've got the past 25 years, but neo Zelda fans [the ones who loved TP, hated it, then love SS now] are all about change! Well, there is one problem: the Master Sword would likely be that one canon weapon that Link uses...but equipping a different weapon would throw off the canonity for some players! :xd:

Kirino

Tatakae
I like the idea of duel wielding, but it seems like it might make the game too easy. It seems like you could just slash both swords at once and maul all your enemies. If they find some way to limit that, than I think the idea would be pretty cool.

As for a magic rod, I think it's an excellent idea. The wand could be used to cast a bunch of different spells that you aquire throughout the game, or through various sidequests. You could select all of the spells with a menu, and each spell would cost a certain amount of magic.

It does sound a bit like Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy, but that will be awesome to use some spells and magic in the Zelda series. After all, it is in the fantasy genre. I would love to see Link have different battle styles depending on his powers and weapons! Now I want to play some Kingdom Hearts! :lol:

Yea, when i posted this i really wanted to play KH 2, but i got rid of my ps2 to help buy my ps3, so no KH2 :(

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I like the idea of duel wielding, but it seems like it might make the game too easy. It seems like you could just slash both swords at once and maul all your enemies. If they find some way to limit that, than I think the idea would be pretty cool.

As for a magic rod, I think it's an excellent idea. The wand could be used to cast a bunch of different spells that you aquire throughout the game, or through various sidequests. You could select all of the spells with a menu, and each spell would cost a certain amount of magic.
It'd be like putting on the the lvl 3 attack ring from the oracle games, your sword damage goes up times 3, but so does the damage you receive. While it would let you blaze thru monsters faster, it'd also be a higher risk higher reward style of play. Then it'd become perfectly fair, where as the shield and sword combo would give link the ability to block and lowers dmg he receives. And even on the other end of the scale, perhaps a gauntlets that puts him on the extreme end of defense, but greatly lowers his damage.

edit: or shield in each arm, that'd he bash and down stab with, now that'd be fun for me. He'd be very defensive but deal like 1/3rd the dmg as the normal sword/ shield set up, but also take 1/3rd the dmg, plus the ability to block/deflect in 2 directions.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
It would be cool but it's just another one of those Zelda fantasies that would be too much of a risk for Nintendo to put out, besides if they did, could you imagine how many Skyrim fanboys would be complaining?

Skunk

Floof
It wouldbe interesting, but Linkis and has always been a swordsman. The idea of a better magic system is good, butI don't think a staff wouldwork seeing as Link wouldswitch from a swordsman to a mage. Though there were two rods in ALttP, it wouldbe more interesting to see Link perhaps use his handstoconjure fire orice(just two examples).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom