• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art Legend of Link Project Idea - Long, But Please Read!

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
This is something that I have been wanting to do for a LONG time. I haven't decided whether I am going to write out a whole fan fiction or if I want to create a simple RPG to tell the story (I'm more leaning towards the RPG idea). Either way, I hope you guys enjoy this little sample and I want honest, constructive feedback and maybe some ideas. Before I post my opener to the story, I want to explain a few things about this story that will make it seem very different (yet feel very similar) to the actual LoZ series.

The Kingdom

-The world was created by the three Guardian Spirits -- Nyre of the Land, Forye of the Water and Danye of the Creatures.
-The name of the kingdom in this story is Hyrel and it's people are called Hyrens.
-The Hyrens all worship the Guardian Spirits.
-The story takes place roughly 220 years after the founding of Hyrel.
-The technology and time period are medieval.
-Humans (Hyrens) are the only known sentient species in the world.
-There are many settlements spread throughout the country, all under the control of Hyrel.
-Among the many settlements, there are 4 settlements that provide major trading goods. These settlements are called micro-countries.
-The Castle Town is in the middle of the country, the Grim Mountains are in the North, Lake Hyrr is in the South, the Wandering Woods are in the East and the Endless Desert is in the West.
-Any non-sentient being is referred to as a creature (animals, insects and monsters are all called creatures).
-Humans consider themselves to be chosen sentient life by the Guardian Spirits, thus the distinction between Humans and creatures.
-There are many creatures across the land of Hyrel and beyond. Some of them are harmless. Many of them are dangerous.
-Hyrel's army exists for the sole purpose of protecting the kingdom and its settlements from constant creature attacks.

Micro-Countries

Dekas (Dekan) - This micro-country is located just outside the outskirts of the Wandering Woods and is run by the current king's childhood friend. The main export of Dekas is wood. Carpentry is the most common occupation. Dekan soldiers are the most agile of warriors.

Grungor (Grun) - This micro-country is located at the base of Grim Mountain and is run by a very proud and strong man. The main export of Grungor is copper, iron, and steel. Being a Blacksmith is the most common occupation. Grun soldiers are the strongest warriors physically.

Yule (Yule) - This micro-country is located near Lake Hyrr and is run by a family of farmers. The main export of Yule is all kinds of crops, year round. Yule provides no human soldiers for the Army of Hyrel, but Yule does raise horses for the cavalry.

Gerdor (Gerdo) - This micro-country is located just near the entrance to the Endless Desert and is run by an elder. The main export of Gerdor is knowledge. Gerdor is made up of scholars and scientists. The Gerdo soldiers rely on their extensive knowledge of creatures to create potions, weapons and armor specially created to efficiently protect against/defeat creatures.

The Main Characters

Link - Link is an 18 year old, male apprentice carpenter from Dekas. Link is a soft spoken person and is very polite. Link is currently having trouble figuring out what his life's goal is.

Gil - Gil is a 21 year old, male research assistant from Gerdor. Gil is full of angst and overly curious, but his heart is in the right place. Gil's main goal in life is to explore beyond the Endless Desert.

Gorge - Gorge is a 45 year old, male Blacksmith from Grungor who works privately for the King in the Hyrel Castle. Gorge is as stubborn as he is strong (which is very). Gorge's main goal in life is "to craft a weapon so elegant, the Guardian Spirits will come down from the skies and bless it."

Lilon - Lilon is an 18 year old, female irrigation regulator. Lilon is ambitious, brave, sweet and skilled with medicine and potions. Lilon's job is to oversee that irrigation from Lake Hyrr to the rest of the kingdom goes smoothly. Part of Lilon's job consists of her constantly fixing irrigation pipes that were constructed under the surface of Lake Hyrr. Lilon's main goal in life is to explore the depths of Lake Hyrr, which are rumored to be infinite.

This is the legend of a time long before Hyrule

In the beginning there were three
Nyre, Forye and Danye
It was they who created the three physicals
Land, Water, Creatures

Each physical represents a challenge, a law
Only those wise enough can conquer the obscure land
Only those brave enough can explore the eerie water
Only those powerful enough can rule the menacing creatures

Those are the laws of the new world
Those are the laws of Hyrel...​

I am currently working on the general plot of the whole story and the individual characters so I hope to be posting some content on that soon so you can all get an idea of the guts of this thing. Thank you for taking the time to read or skim all of this and I can't wait to read feedback, ideas and overall comments. Thanks, guys!

Last edited:

Ganondork

goo
It sounds like a good story, but it seems like either you had a mental block in the naming of things and took them from the LoZ or you meant for that and in which case, it was clever. I like how you created an entire new country just for the story and I'm pretty excited for the release of the actual story.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Thanks for the feedback. To address the town names, I agree that they seem lazy, but I assure you that the names were chosen for an overall reason that will be made clear in the final product. I've been working more on the overall story so here's a general idea of the plot.

Through a series of events, Link and company are set out on a journey to retrieve the three Power Stones, each powering a different micro-country (Dekas being the only one without a Power Stone).

One of the main, recurring plot elements is the fact that some creatures seem to be evolving into more intelligent beings, which makes the Humans start to question their belief that they are a special, chosen race by the Guardian Spirits. The King suspects a conspiracy, so he
sends Link and company on their quest, which turns out to be much more important for the future of the kingdom than any of them could ever imagine.

The legend of the Power Stones says that the original King of Hyrel was gifted with a powerful force from the Guardian Spirits to help him rule over the three physicals (land, water, creature). The King was afraid he was unworthy of the power so he hid it deep within Hyrel Castle. Shortly after, the King found a way to distribute the hidden power by infusing it into other items. Three stones were infused with the force of the Guardian Spirits and each stone was given to a different settlement, each one eventually becoming a micro-country. Whether the Power Stones collectively contain all of the ancient power is unknown. Some believe that the combined power of the stones would only sum up to a small chunk of the original, ancient power.

More to come soon :) keep giving feedback, please!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom