• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legend of Korra: Season 3 - SPOILERS

Sheik

:the:
***IMPORTANT UPDATE***

Korra will no longer be airing on Nickelodeon, but is however moving to some form of digital distribution. From what I've seen/heard, you should still be able to watch it on the website, as well as other sites such as Hulu (I don't remember reading anything about Netflix though). The reason for this is because of poor viewership, or so I've heard. More information will be revealed at Comic Con.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07...odes?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

tumblr_n96w0vWrYX1rptk5lo1_1280-720x1308.jpg

Wow, I don't know what to say about this. I feel like Nick brought the poor viewership upon themselves. Book 1 and 2 were both heavily hyped and advertised, but it seemed like they didn't even try with Book 3. I barely saw anything about it until its release, and none of it from Nick. Maybe it's because of all the leaks that made Nick have to begin Book 3 unexpectedly, thus not generating enough advertisements in time? I don't know. Hopefully Book 4 won't suffer from a problem like this.

On a side note, I'm quite enjoying Book 3 so far. I'm very eager to learn about the new enemies and their motives.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
***IMPORTANT UPDATE***

Korra will no longer be airing on Nickelodeon, but is however moving to some form of digital distribution. From what I've seen/heard, you should still be able to watch it on the website, as well as other sites such as Hulu (I don't remember reading anything about Netflix though). The reason for this is because of poor viewership, or so I've heard. More information will be revealed at Comic Con.
American politics are the reason behind this. Even if you live in another country, what goes in America with media affects the whole world because of a law passed here in the 90s.

People should know that when you are told a show has been canceled or removed from a network because of low viewership, that TV network is lying to you. They have another reason. Maybe there was a personal disagreement, maybe someone in charge there just doesn't like it, maybe they want to put a cheaper show up in their place. Viewership is never a valid reason and I'm pretty sure they know it. With standard TV, despite the prevalence of digital TV, the only way for networks to know how many people watched an episode, is through the Nielsen ratings. What this is, is a select group of volunteers that have their viewing habits monitored with equipment installed in their homes, connected to their TVs. It's relatively small number of people. They then take the percentages of people who watched something for at least half of the length, and project that out to the entire population. This cannot be rigorously applied in this way and the results they end up mean nothing. An episode that actually got 20 million viewers might have only got a Nielsen rating of 3 million viewers. And that might be only 9 people out of a 1000 test group that watched it (not real numbers but it is only a few thousand, not the entire US population). So cited viewership by TV networks do not mean anything at all, and they do not reflect what people are actually watching at all. They might as well be talking about their astrology horoscope for all the relevance it has on reality.

With online services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, which all have their own exclusive shows, they instead can directly tell what is being watched by how many people. They don't have the typical excuses that TV networks have for canceling shows. They're all companies founded in the last two decades and they're much more modern. And they don't really cancel shows. Effectively shows on their systems can only be canceled by producers themselves and not the distributor. The law that was passed in 1996, called the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Title 3 ("Cable Services") allowed for cross-media ownership. This is why when shows were not continued by their original network before 1996, they often moved to another network. And after 1996, the show is just canceled. In order for a show to move somewhere else now, the broadcast rights have to be purchased from the original network. It's also why when an American TV network cancels a show, it's canceled for everyone, worldwide, even if the show is made in another country. For example, Farscape was a New Zealand science fiction show, but when the American Sci-Fi Channel (now Syfy) canceled it, no one in the world was allowed to air new episodes so it was canceled worldwide.

TV Networks got very corrupt and dysfunctional in the last two decades. You can see that most prominently in the fall of Syfy. They used to be one of the best TV networks and now are little more than a joke that's widely hated by former fans for senselessly canceling shows to replace them with wrestling and ghost hunting reality shows. The big three of new original online shows, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, are as I said more modern companies and they're more in line with what people want. All companies like to make money, but these ones, being modern, haven't lost their minds yet and understand that giving people shows they want to see, will make them money. They don't use the excuses that TV Networks use, timeslots don't apply to them, and they're generally more liked by content producers. As time goes on you'll see more and more new shows on these services. If Korra moves to one of them, then it's possible we can see the show continue for ten more years. No promises. But it's possible because it's not old, outdated, and out of touch like Nickelodeon and most other TV networks are.

Hopefully this little lecture has educated people and cheered them up about this.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
***IMPORTANT UPDATE***

The reason for this is because of poor viewership, or so I've heard.

How the hell is this even possible? It's my favorite anime, I love the series so damn much. Couldn't agree with you more that this season is way better than the second season, which was pretty bad indeed. This group of bad guys is just so epic. It will be the hardest challenge for her yet. She controls all 4 elements, but she has to face each element at once. An earth (lava FTW!) bender, water bender, fire bender and Zahir the air bender. Can't wait for the first showdown!

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
How the hell is this even possible? It's my favorite anime, I love the series so damn much. Couldn't agree with you more that this season is way better than the second season, which was pretty bad indeed. This group of bad guys is just so epic. It will be the hardest challenge for her yet. She controls all 4 elements, but she has to face each element at once. An earth (lava FTW!) bender, water bender, fire bender and Zahir the air bender. Can't wait for the first showdown!

Fig linked me an article last night that had everything explained (you can read it here), but essentially they state that people preferred watching the series online versus on the air. How they went about this was very rough, and I would have preferred it if they started out streaming Book 3 online, but it's a change we'll have to deal with. On another note, I guess you could say last night's episode was one of the first of several showdowns between Team Avatar and Red Lotus, and it was pretty exciting.

Suyin Beifong for badass of the year! :D

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Wow, I don't know what to say about this. I feel like Nick brought the poor viewership upon themselves. Book 1 and 2 were both heavily hyped and advertised, but it seemed like they didn't even try with Book 3. I barely saw anything about it until its release, and none of it from Nick. Maybe it's because of all the leaks that made Nick have to begin Book 3 unexpectedly, thus not generating enough advertisements in time? I don't know. Hopefully Book 4 won't suffer from a problem like this..

That's basically what probably happened, this article was released back when they first announced that they were going to roll the season out in the summer and it explains the situation a bit better than I could: http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2014/06/23/the-legend-of-korra-should-not-be-premiering-on-nickelodeon-this-friday/

The whole release of Book 3 has been riddled with last minute decisions, so this isn't all too surprising.

Fig

The Altruist
It is really is sad that that Korra will not be airing on the television set anymore. That said, Korra is by no means is going to be cancelled but rather moved to air online. The creators of the show stated in several interviews here and here, they stated that most of Korra's viewship are statistically larger online than on the television network. Korra is doing phenomenal online and it seems that the show will move to online distribution. What's great to hear is that Book 3 is basically done in terms of production and nothing plot-wise will be affected. They also hinted on Book 4 but I'll let those interviews speak for themselves. I'm also very happy to see that Book 3 has more potential than Book 2 did and hopefully Book 4 will continue that wave of impact that Book 3 is bringing on.

Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra are not anime shows. They are animated cartoons but they are no way an anime series. In order for something to be considered an anime, it must have Japanese origins. Avatar and Korra are inspired by the anime style but that's just as close as it as being an anime, which it is.

Mask-Salesman

On another note, I guess you could say last night's episode was one of the first of several showdowns between Team Avatar and Red Lotus, and it was pretty exciting.

Suyin Beifong for badass of the year! :D

Couldn't agree with you more. Excellent fighting scene in last night episodes, I'm very curious how this will all unfold. To bad Korra hasn't shown her full power yet and still has to go Avatar State on those four. I think nor Korra or Aang has faced such a danger in the series yet.

Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra are not anime shows. They are animated cartoons but they are no way an anime series. In order for something to be considered an anime, it must have Japanese origins. Avatar and Korra are inspired by the anime style but that's just as close as it as being an anime, which it is.

I'm sorry man, I don't really watch that much cartoons/anime, but I normally just call those kind of series anime because I think cartoons sounds degrading. Just like you name comics 'graphic novels'. Out of respect.;)

Fig

The Altruist
I'm sorry man, I don't really watch that much cartoons/anime, but I normally just call those kind of series anime because I think cartoons sounds degrading. Just like you name comics 'graphic novels'. Out of respect.;)

There actually is a difference between cartoons and anime. I understand that you don't want to degrade the series, but technically you are degrading by calling the series something it is definitely not. While both are caricatures that may be animated, anime usually has visually distinct features for characters, and cartoons have a more "limited animation" style for depicting movement. It's like saying I call Pokemon a MMORPG because it has RPG elements and you can battle against players via the internet or locally. It just won't cut it no matter what. The same with cartoon/anime and comic books and graphic novels. There are differences between the two. Japanese-styled anime is different from regular cartoons.

Anime vs Cartoons

Visual characteristics:
Anime - Distinct facial expressions. Wide variation in physical characteristics. Physical features of characters are, on the whole, closer to reality than cartoons. Cartoons - Characters usually have features that are not relative to the rest of the body and therefore further from reality than anime.

Definition and Term:
Anime - English dictionaries define the word as "Japanese style of motion picture animation".
Cartoons - A cartoon was used as a model or study for a painting but is now associated with caricatures for humor and satire.

Topics/Themes:
Anime - Anime concentrates mostly on life issues or things tied closer to human emotion and has more violent and sexual themes.
Cartoons - Cartoons are generally made to make people laugh and so are more comical.

Comic Books vs Graphic Novels

Calling something a graphic novel isn't just a fancy way of saying “comic book.” There’s a very clear difference between the two. Graphic novels are much longer and tend to be much more complex. While a comic book will tell a story over many issues, graphic novels more often have their storylines wrapped up in only one or two books.

Mask-Salesman

There actually is a difference between cartoons and anime. I understand that you don't want to degrade the series, but technically you are degrading by calling the series something it is definitely not. While both are caricatures that may be animated, anime usually has visually distinct features for characters, and cartoons have a more "limited animation" style for depicting movement. It's like saying I call Pokemon a MMORPG because it has RPG elements and you can battle against players via the internet or locally. It just won't cut it no matter what. The same with cartoon/anime and comic books and graphic novels. There are differences between the two. Japanese-styled anime is different from regular cartoons.

Anime vs Cartoons

Visual characteristics:
Anime - Distinct facial expressions. Wide variation in physical characteristics. Physical features of characters are, on the whole, closer to reality than cartoons. Cartoons - Characters usually have features that are not relative to the rest of the body and therefore further from reality than anime.

Definition and Term:
Anime - English dictionaries define the word as "Japanese style of motion picture animation".
Cartoons - A cartoon was used as a model or study for a painting but is now associated with caricatures for humor and satire.

Topics/Themes:
Anime - Anime concentrates mostly on life issues or things tied closer to human emotion and has more violent and sexual themes.
Cartoons - Cartoons are generally made to make people laugh and so are more comical.

Comic Books vs Graphic Novels

Calling something a graphic novel isn't just a fancy way of saying “comic book.” There’s a very clear difference between the two. Graphic novels are much longer and tend to be much more complex. While a comic book will tell a story over many issues, graphic novels more often have their storylines wrapped up in only one or two books.

Yeah, guess I don't watch enough anime/cartoons or read enough comics/graphic novels :P. Still, I learn something every day. Thank you for explaining, kind sir!

Blackkirby

Proud Jesus Freak !
Well just watched the new episode and wow its nice to see more of the red lotus and some nice action but bad too see that the earth queen and the redlotus have team avatar which is making me wonder whats getting ready to happen.

Fig

The Altruist
Well just watched the new episode and wow its nice to see more of the red lotus and some nice action but bad too see that the earth queen and the redlotus have team avatar which is making me wonder whats getting ready to happen.

Actually the Earth Queen has captured Korra and Asami, the Red Lotus had to adjust and now has to travel to Ba Sing Se just to recapture Korra. I first thought that it was indeed the Earth Queen and Red Lotus teaming up, but based on what Zaheer had to say, it seems the Red Lotus are not allies with the Earth Queen. That said, the action and plot of this episode was impeccable and it just shows that despite moving to digital distribution, Book 3 is doing exceptionally well. I'm not sure how long Book 3 will be, but I am hoping that it could reach 20 episodes, if not 16 as it seems that we are probably in the middle of the season as of the current episode.

Mask-Salesman

Actually the Earth Queen has captured Korra and Asami, the Red Lotus had to adjust and now has to travel to Ba Sing Se just to recapture Korra. I first thought that it was indeed the Earth Queen and Red Lotus teaming up, but based on what Zaheer had to say, it seems the Red Lotus are not allies with the Earth Queen. That said, the action and plot of this episode was impeccable and it just shows that despite moving to digital distribution, Book 3 is doing exceptionally well. I'm not sure how long Book 3 will be, but I am hoping that it could reach 20 episodes, if not 16 as it seems that we are probably in the middle of the season as of the current episode.

What I'm wondering is what the Red Lotus will do when they finally do capture Korra. Zahir mentioned that if they managed to kidnap here when she was younger they would have indoctrinated and brainwashed her to show her the rightiousness of their ways. But Korra now has a set of principles of her own, so I don't think she will ever de persuaded to think otherwise. That being said, I think it's a matter of time before they capture her again. Those four benders together are the strongest I have seen in the series yet. Especially Ming-Hua (the waterbender) seems extremelly powerfull. I think even a adult avatar Aang would have much trouble with these four combined! Do you guys think Korra has a chance?

I. Can't. WAIT!

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
It's my favorite anime
I'm pretty sure Avatar is an american-made series, and I know it's definitely NOT Japanese.
(In the English language) the word "Anime" Refers to Japanese animation.
Thus, Avatar and Korra are not Anime. They are not Japanese Animation, and therefore not Anime.

Although, they do imitate the Anime art style pretty decently. I will give it that.

Also, If you don't want to "degrade" it by not calling it a cartoon, you could simply just call it an Animated series.
Regardless if you use this term to refer to Anime, or non-anime, you will always be correct.
Because anything that is in a series, and is animated, is an animated series. ^^

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I'm not sure how long Book 3 will be, but I am hoping that it could reach 20 episodes, if not 16 as it seems that we are probably in the middle of the season as of the current episode.
They're actually past the middle of the season by now, as Book 3 consists of 13 episodes with a two part finale (which will premier August 22nd).

Mask-Salesman said:
But Korra now has a set of principles of her own, so I don't think she will ever de persuaded to think otherwise.
Though I agree that I doubt Korra will be de-persuaded in the end, she's still a teenage girl who makes impulsive decisions depending on her emotions. Although she's starting to become a much more wise Avatar, she's still got a long way to go. Her decision to go with Unalaq is an example of an impulsive and ultimately dangerous decision of hers.

Mask-Salesman said:
Do you guys think Korra has a chance?
Of course she has a chance, but it'll be a slim one. She's prevailed over both Amon and Unalaq, but both came at a loss (Amon blocked her bending except for air iirc, and Unalaq released the Dark Avatar (or something along those lines) and caused Korra's connection to the past Avatars to be severed). Korra might win over the Red Lotus, but I predict she'll have to pay a hefty cost.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
So, has anybody been watching Book 3?
You can see episodes on the internet, and so far I know they have up to Ep. 9

Also, so far, from what I've been seeing in book 3, I like the story, and I always will, but it just isn't as good as book 2.
And, on a side note on Korra in GENERAL, I wish that the Books were longer. I mean, I know they pack a lot in one episode, but I just wish that there were more episodes to a book. Like in Avatar, there were like- 26 or so episodes per book. I even want filler! I enjoy filler episodes. I also don't like how they started to drive the focus away from spirits. What I mean is, in book 2, the end of it was Korra allowing spirits and humans to mingle once more. I was expecting the next challenge to arise from this. Like, Korra would have to balance the spirits and find a way so that they could live with humans and stuff like that. They started to do that with the vines, but they just kind of- stopped that.... It just doesn't seem- avatary... But regardless, I still LIKE the way it's going so far, I just kind of wish SOME things were changed. Also, it doesn't seem right that Korra is ignoring the problems in the Earth Kingdom with that queen, and that she's not trying to do anything about the vines either... I don't know, I guess it just sounds like that would be something she's need to focus on, since that is an obvious problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom