• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Layout Feedback

As part of an effort to improve the forums aesthetically, and fix issues with the various themes, I've been working on a new layout, tentatively called "Blue". I'd like to know what people think about this layout, and what could be improved (and of course anything obvious like white text on white background or whatever can be reported here). Also, this theme obviously doesn't have custom icons and whatnot yet, so any suggestions in that regard are welcome as well.

You can select the theme from the dropdown at the bottom of the page, or click this link (if you want to switch back just select the theme you want from the dropdown): http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/forum.php?styleid=33.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
This looks pretty neat. It's a nice contrast from the dull ZD Brown and Green I've been using. I think one thing we need in terms of aesthetics is more variety, and maybe some things that are based off of Zelda games. Zelda themes, you know? But I digress. It's a nice theme, though the pebblestone background looks odd and out of place. Idk what it is, but it looks weird.

Fig

The Altruist
I like the Blue layout. It really looks good and to be honest it is one of the best themes I've seen. Your layouts are quite nice to view the forum on. If you are taking suggestions I would like to see if it's possible to make a sort of Smash 4 layout considering it is taking the world by storm plus would be very interesting to see in a forum setting under than in just the Smash Boards forums.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well I'm guessing you're going to put something unique in the header (where the Vbulliten is) - you could possibly use this symbol. About the actual colour scheme though, I like it for the most part but maybe just some vibrant blues to create a contrast. That's just personal preference though.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I really like this layout because its not too bright and doesn't hurt my eyes like some of the other skins do.

I've noticed that when using the [noparse][/noparse] tags, the text displays but the quote box does not. Eg. [noparse][ilquote=Mamono101]There is no quote box[/ilquote][/noparse] parses as [ilquote=Mamono101]There is no quote box[/ilquote].

Also when using the [noparse]
Code:
[/noparse] tags, the text is white in the white box:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
    alert("Hello world!");
//-->
</script>

EDIT: Some of the text in the arcade is black and difficult to read on the dark blue background. Also, in the vBShop, the active tab headers such as "permissions" in Locke's store has a white highlight creating another white text on white background situation.

Last edited:
Too dark for my taste, but the only specific suggestion I have is to change .postfoot to #313959 (same as .posthead) and .textcontrols to transparent.

Yeah postfoot was supposed to be the posthead color, changed that.

Well I'm guessing you're going to put something unique in the header (where the Vbulliten is) - you could possibly use this symbol. About the actual colour scheme though, I like it for the most part but maybe just some vibrant blues to create a contrast. That's just personal preference though.

Definitely going to change the logo ASAP. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what would look best. Something Nayru related could definitely work, fits with the blue and Zelda theme this layout has. I might add a few vibrant blues here and there, maybe for borders or something like that.

I really like this layout because its not too bright and doesn't hurt my eyes like some of the other skins do.

I've noticed that when using the [noparse][/noparse] tags, the text displays but the quote box does not. Eg. [noparse][ilquote=Mamono101]There is no quote box[/ilquote][/noparse] parses as [ilquote=Mamono101]There is no quote box[/ilquote].

Also when using the [noparse]
Code:
[/noparse] tags, the text is white in the white box:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
    alert("Hello world!");
//-->
</script>

EDIT: Some of the text in the arcade is black and difficult to read on the dark blue background. Also, in the vBShop, the active tab headers such as "permissions" in Locke's store has a white highlight creating another white text on white background situation.

Fixed the code box and active tab styles. The arcade uses really outdated HTML (lots of tables, since that's what vbulletin 3 made heavy use of, and the forum version the arcade was written for), so it'll probably require additional.css rules, unless it does use a stylevar I'm not aware of. Either way, I'll look into that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Amazing work Kitsu. Can we just scrap every layout except zd blue and zd green now and then make a zd red to fit the Zelda 3 colors?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Amazing work Kitsu. Can we just scrap every layout except zd blue and zd green now and then make a zd red to fit the Zelda 3 colors?

Yeah I was always a big fan of using the three prominent colours in the Zelda series for future themes. Obviously now we have two, so a red theme would probably be the next stop. About the other themes though, we could probably scrap the Gen Game and Dadksiders, but maybe revamp the other themes.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Can we just scrap every layout except zd blue and zd green now and then make a zd red to fit the Zelda 3 colors?

Yeah I was always a big fan of using the three prominent colours in the Zelda series for future themes. Obviously now we have two, so a red theme would probably be the next stop. About the other themes though, we could probably scrap the Gen Game and Dadksiders, but maybe revamp the other themes.

I would be very much in support of this idea though it'd probably have to be decided by a majority vote.

As for the blue theme, I just noticed that the gender symbol next to people's names is not showing up on this theme. Not that it makes much of a difference either way but thought I'd mention it.

Djinn

and Tonic
Well ZD Brown was mostly put there in an effort to have a dark theme back when we did not have one at all. So it was definitely a quick bandaid on an unresolved problem at the time. The Black GenGame theme was another cookie cutter theme added on for the same reason.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
As for the blue theme, I just noticed that the gender symbol next to people's names is not showing up on this theme.

^I mentioned this the other day and have something to add to this. It seems as if the gender of a user, whether male, female or unspecified is also not showing up in the postbit where it does on the other layouts. Is there a reason for this omission?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom