• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Lame Zelda Instruments

Okay, I have been think lately on how amazing the Ocarina is it can do like a ton of stuff for you just in the blink of your eyes while the Wind Waker is a pretty lame item. "What can you do with the Wind Waker Link?" "Oh I can wave it around and change the direction of the wind!" Who would want that? I understand how they need the wind but still couldn't the gods just gave him the Ocarina and he could warp where ever he wanted no problem, but no you get the Wind Waker. Even worse you don't even look cool when you do it, unlike the Ocarina were you still look pretty boss when doing it. But there is one thing worse then the Wind Waker, this is known as the harp from Skyward Sword.

All you do with the harp is play it in a certain area at a ceartain time and it leads you to then silent realm which is a rip off of Twilight Princess they could have had some original ideas, but whatever. I forgot to mention the one other thing you can do with the harp, what you do is strum it next to a group of butterflies and a Godess wall appears, yipeeeee!

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
The harp was just stupid in my opinion. You didn't have the option to play the song you wanted or any notes for that matter. All you could do was go back and forth. Very lame in my opinion and would have been better used as a single button press as it didn't add anything to the game. The harp was a serious disappointing aspect of the game to me.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't really much agree with your point on the Wind Waker but who cares, it is your opinion :yes:
I myself loved the Wind Waker. I wish I could play notes whenever I wanted to instead of waiting for the beat itself to kick in, but it is probably how conducting in real life works anyway haha.

Now, the Harp. Do I need to discuss how you can't play whatever song you want, how its usage is extremely limited, and how boring it is? We can't even make interesting, non-Zelda music with that thing! >_>

Here's my to hoping for a better instrument, perhaps a simple you know Ocarina, for Zelda Wii U and 3DS!

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I don't really much agree with your point on the Wind Waker but who cares, it is your opinion :yes:
I myself loved the Wind Waker. I wish I could play notes whenever I wanted to instead of waiting for the beat itself to kick in, but it is probably how conducting in real life works anyway haha.

Now, the Harp. Do I need to discuss how you can't play whatever song you want, how its usage is extremely limited, and how boring it is? We can't even make interesting, non-Zelda music with that thing! >_>

Here's my to hoping for a better instrument, perhaps a simple you know Ocarina, for Zelda Wii U and 3DS!
Wind Waker was a good game, but you know it would have been cooler as say, the Wind Flute vs a conducting rod

Djinn

and Tonic
Based on the concept alone I would say the Wind Waker baton was weak and not even an instrument much less much of a tool worth using. However it surprised me later on in the game by gaining even more abilities it eventually became a very versatile implement. It had a trick for so many parts of the game and a few were a bit more useful than some of the similar analogues of the ocarina songs from OoT and MM such as turning day to night and warping to various locations. I liked being able to move the wind around for things like gliding with the deku leaf and taking control of statues to set off traps. I like it when certain items can easily work off each other like that and it is a bit rare in a Zelda game to have something that does it. On top of that it seemed like less of a chore to use than many of the other instruments that you have to do some trick to play.

I thought the wind waker was an amazing item; it changed the environment around you, how much more awesome can a Zelda instrument get? When it comes down to it, changing the direction of the wind was such a vital part of the game, and I think they hit the use of it perfectly in TWW.
The harp wasn't exactly bad, but it wasn't great. I didnt really like a lot of the songs, and when you used it, at least for me, it just didn't flow as well as it should have.
The spirit flute was another instrument I wanted to like so badly, and to a certain extent did, that just didn't work that well. I always had trouble using it during the later songs, and especially with the 3DS' weird mic placement, it was hard to skip certain notes to hit other ones.

But you really can't compare the other instruments to the ocarina, the ocarina is just too godly.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
Oh please, you can't say that you have never waved a pencil around like the Wind Waker and enjoyed it. :right:

"What can you do with the Wind Waker Link?" "Oh I can wave it around and change the direction of the wind!" Who would want that? I understand how they need the wind but still couldn't the gods just gave him the Ocarina and he could warp where ever he wanted no problem, but no you get the Wind Waker. Even worse you don't even look cool when you do it, unlike the Ocarina were you still look pretty boss when doing it. But there is one thing worse then the Wind Waker, this is known as the harp from Skyward Sword.

With the Wind Waker you can perform MIND CONTROL! You can control some statues (artificial intelligence control?), Makar and Medli with it. And on the topic on warping: The Wind Waker can do that too, but unlike the Ocarina you do not have to go to the place first before warping to it. In Ocarina of Time you have to learn many songs and in Majora's Mask you have to find and strike an owl statue before you can warp. My last point: IRL conductors are cool. I find it hard to believe that that group of sometimes hundreds of musicians are following the orders of a guy waving a baton around in a specific order. And they have conducted many musical masterpieces!

I do, however, agree that the lyre (not harp!) in Skyward Sword is lame.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
How can you say the Wind Waker is lame? It was a very useful item. Who would want to control the wind, you say? Who wouldn't? Not only that, the Wind Waker allows Link to warp across the Great Sea, and also lets him control other characters. Yes, what a lame item indeed. Oh, and by the way, I thought Link looked pretty cool using the Wind Waker...

While your complaints about the harp are understandable, I actually liked it a lot. The harp songs were all beautiful, and it was easy to use. The controls for the harp were smooth and simple, instead of a gimmick where you move the Wii Remote to pluck each individual string. Would you have prefered that? I don't think so. You see? It could have been worse. The harp wasn't all that bad. Also, using the harp to summon Goddess Walls and Gossip Stones is incredibly useful. I cannot believe you would actually complain about that.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The harp. It was lame in execution rather than concept. The idea was good, but seriously having an instrument that you don't decide what notes to play is just boring.

the ocarina was useless. jk jk!! i loved the harp its just i wish we could of used it whenever we wanted. like EVERY OTHER ZELDA GAME.

Big Octo

=^)
The lyre/harp is easily my least favorite instrument. Often times I forgot I had it, and would only use it to progress in the game. I don't appreciate how you can't play the songs you know anywhere or anytime, all you got is the same chords when playing it in a random place. If this was the case, then it could be utilized for optional features that, in my eyes, would only improve game. I don't think I'll understand why this instrument is so lacking.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Instruments these days are becoming more and more useless. The Ocarina was the most versatile musical apparatus without a doubt. From the two games that it was in, it had several songs that went with it, and each with a different purpose. Most of the songs in Ocarina of Time were utilized to warp Link from one point to the other, whereas Majora's Mask had only one song for that objective. But its uses were broader and had more integration with the main quest than the following.

The Wind Waker would come second, although it was primarily used to change wind direction and control statues [it could even warp Link all over the Great Sea at a certain point].

The Harp is the most eventless item by far. Its control scheme required memorizing nothing, and only achieved frustration from me in the Lofty Pumpkin minigame.

Additionally, while Wolf Link's howling may not count as an "instrument" per se, I thought it had the coolest concept.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Skyward Sword's harp was really pathetic. One could do absolutely nothing with it. At least with the harp from Oracle of Ages, one could play the songs whenever they wanted, regardless of whether it had an effect or not. Twilight Princess's wolf howling was similar in that one could only play howl songs at a specific spot, but like Thar said, this isn't really an instrument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom