• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

l

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
If you're interested in this topic, I have a fantastic book suggestion. Read "Physics of the Future" by Michio Kaku. It was published in 2011 so it's new and up-to-date. It's phenomenal.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Keep it on topic guys. Just answer the question instead of promoting a book.

No, I don't think there will be a limit. Things will get advanced and different kinda computers will be created and so will the hardware that comes with it. Maybe 25 years from now we might even see pc's with 1 TB of RAM. Technology never stops. It always continues to get developped

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
There are limits on how far we can push technology. Further improvements require new technology. Two prominent examples are batteries and CPUs, we've hit the physical limits on both. They cannot be improved further with our current technology. We'd need something completely new to do better. In both cases we've resorted to being more efficient with power use and adding more batteries for the case of power. And for CPUs, basically the same thing. More efficient and more processors. But each one is basically maxed out as best as we can get them with the current tech. There is no limit on what can be done at all, but there are limits on how far specific technology can go without new innovation.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
in the 19th century the head of the patent office wanted to shut it down because there was nothing left to invent. Around the same time, the British government conducted a study to determine when in the 20th century coal supplies would run out.

Our vision of what is possible is grounded by what we understand. Go back to 1975 and explain a smartphone to a guy on the street. Fifty years from now, we'll use technology every day that we could not have possibly imagined was possible.

gannondorf

Dark Lord Gannondorf
I Don't think you can completely stop technology from advancing.

Our increasing knowledge of our world and the ever exponentially increasing processing and storage power will lead for a powerful combination.

When moore's law end's, we will be left with Very very Powerful computing tools capible of crunching though very large amounts of Data in a short amount of time.

Even if Moore's law ends, I believe we will merely try to increase the efficiency our Data Processing and Collection methods and then use the tools we have from the end of Moore's law to find a way to advance our technology even farther then it is now.

I would hope that eventually, We will have learned enough about the quantum world to be able to create a quantum computer.

Anyone think that perhaps, Something like Watson could be used to help humans find the answer to Solving the problem of creating a quantum computer, keeping in mind that Computers of 10 years from now could mostly likely be able to host watson as it is now and Super Computers, as it will be able to host a far more advanced version of something like Watson in 10 years?

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
I see techonology never ending, there will always be a bigger hdd, more memory, better specs, faster proccesor. But there will come a time where it is completely POINTLESS to go anyfarther, but it will happen nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom