• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Kokori Continuity

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I have a question that's been nagging me. Why were the Kokiri like Mido seen at Lon Lon Ranch at the end of OoT? Don't they die if they leave the forest? How is it they can suddenly leave? I know it may be something obvious that I forgot, but does anyone know?

I don't believe the reasoning was ever clearly revealed (Never read Hyrule Historia, so I don't know about that), but I always thought it was just because the Kokiri don't really die if they leave the forest. It could very well be a lie told by the Great Deku Tree just to keep the Kokiri from ever getting curious about the outside world, and exposing them to the danger in it. It makes sense, because what could a Kokiri actually do to defend themselves outside of the Kokiri Forest? They're functionally little children, and would probably be killed very easily since all of them lack any real combat experience, so that's how their guardian defends them; telling them that they would die if they leave the forest.

...Actually, that could be what the Great Deku Tree meant the entire time. Kind of a half-truth maybe.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
http://zeldawiki.org/Kokiri#Physiology said:
It was said that the Kokiri die if they leave the forest.[17] However, at the end of Ocarina of Time, the Kokiri are seen in Lon Lon Ranch along with other characters celebrating Ganondorf's defeat. Because of this, it is possible that the story is told only for general safety to prevent Kokiri to leave and be killed because of the monsters outside the Kokiri Forest.

I don't think the die because they leave, they just say they'll die because the Great Deku Tree can't protect them.

That's what I got out of this entire thing :P

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
I don't know why they left the forest, but I know that if they leave the forest they turn into Koroks. I can prove that because I think Miyamoto or Aonuma said that they turn into Koroks when they leave the forest.

Or they can simply die of old age if they leave.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I am not completely sure of this, I haven't played the game in a while and can't remember all the Kokiri said about leaving, but could it be that they die from the dangers of leaving the forest? Instead of dying from leaving the forest?

So, we've pretty well established the possibility that the Deku Tree told them this in order to protect them from the dangers of the outside world, but Craptain Falcon is right about them turning into Koroks. Perhaps turning into Koroks is the result of extended absence from the forest. That would in a sense lead the Kokiri to "die" as they then become something else.

I've never encountered such misinformed posts in my life. lol Vergo's explanation is the most likely and logical explanation as to the message being a cautionary tale: to avoid anything happening to the Kokiri out there in the then harshness of Hyrule Field outside of the Great Deku Tree's sight and veil of protection. Parents do this kind of thing all the time in the real world (lol) to protect their kids. Plus, it would have been so odd and effed up to leave the Kokiri out of what seemed to be a massive, heartwarming celebration and/or honor of a hero and the sages (assuming their existence was made known at the time). Seeing Mido's forlorn face was one of the highlights of that particular scene. But nope, just leave the Kokiri out, huh? XD Yeah...no...

Also... That Korok thing is more than likely a magic-influenced evolutionary thing (and I say "magically" because evolution doesn't work like this in the real world), due to having transitioned into an overall 'aquatic world' and the need to 'fly' to the various islands. The Korok sort of are still in the forest for the majority of the time considering the inside of the now dead Deku tree is a lush forest.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Well I always thought that they don't like just keel over on their face the second they step out of the forest, I thought it took like time. Like a process. So I guess, my first thought is that it's ok if they leave for a partay in Lon Lon Ranch, as long as they hurry back.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
I believe a Sheikah stone revealed that warning was actually a lie. They could always leave, but the Deku Tree told them they would die if they left so they would stay safe in the forest. The korok evolution happened with the Great Flood, not because they left the forest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom