• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

It's Official, I Suck at Zelda Games So Far.

P

pfr_77

good luck! I always used a guide with a kid but I rarely do these days. Usually if I check something it's to see if I'm either doing something wrong or doing the right thing but just suck at it. I plan on using a guide next time I do Water Temple OoT too e_e

If you gotta use a guide for OoT or MM, see if you can get one of the old Versus Books ones - they're the best! really, the stuff they made in that era are some of the best video game books ever. If they still made guides of that caliber I'd buy them for games I don't even own. they're just great to have and fun to look over, read, and use.

CelticMagician

Phantom of Time
Hey, don't get so down on yourself, I'm certain we've all been there while starting out with Zelda games. :3

Heck, when I started, I had no clue whatsoever how to progress in Zelda games. I struggled with them for the longest time until I was about 8 years old and really did not figure it out until I played Pokemon Yellow. :/ After that, I was able to understand Zelda games a little better (for reasons I will probably never know). I started off with beating Link's Awakening and going from there.

But as others on this thread have stated, start with an easier Zelda title for now. :3 I've never played Twilight Princess, so I'm not sure how the gameplay is, really, but I've personally found Wind Waker to be the easiest title to play. That said, the side quests and constant ocean going may get a little irking for you (it was for me), so I would definitely go for something more along the lines of Link's Awakening or the Oracle series, because they are fairly straight forward and have a fun story attached to them. :3

I'd also say, pick PH or ST, or both.

I played PH first, it bored me a bit, and I put it down for some time. Picked it up again months later, and finished it. Then started ST right after, and 100%'ed it first time. I actually enjoyed PH a lot second time around, but it didn't draw me to 100% it like ST did.

So if you're going for only one, I would probably pick ST - even though the travel methods in both games are a bit meh. :)

I also use a walkthrough (mainly online) now and then, if I'm stuck at a place for a long time. I'd say, give it atleast 5-10 minutes, and try different approches, instead of giving up. Sometimes you'd be amazed what you can figure out, if you just try different things. Plus, it's so much more rewarding, to do it without walkthrough.

More often than not, I usually spend a lot of time trying to figure something out, just to realize that I haven't got the item to solve the puzzle yet. Sometimes you just have to move a long, and come back later. :)

maybe I really do suck. even after 19 years. I find TP to be a pain in the arse...the lakebottom temple namely.

The Lakebed Temple I find quite easy, apart from remembering how to turn the staircase the first time to go into the room with the one cog in the early going. I always lose my way and forget which level the door that leads to it from the staircase room is on. But once I've found it, the rest of the temple is a breeze. I find it very satisfying watching the water flow through the temple in those gulleys and filling up the staircase room so that you can get to the door to Morpheel's lair.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
It's not really a bad thing that you have to look at walkthroughs to beat games, but I think it kinda takes away from the immersion factor that Nintendo tries to get with Zelda. There was a time when I'd use walkthroughs for everything in a game and then feel like what I did wasn't really my doing, I guess that's just me but there's a strange sense of "Heck yeah I finally did it after so long!" that I get after solving a puzzle I was stuck on for a while. But I have thrown the towel several times with Zelda and pretty many other games at some point.

Also, I don't think recommending a game that everyone finds easy is really going to do much to help. Since difficulty is pretty subjective, maybe you'll find the game to be hell even if the majority says otherwise. I'd say, look up a little on each game when you have time and go with one that you find interesting.

And most importantly: Don't get desperate if you get stuck. After all, most of the coolest things about the games are stuff that I found when I was stuck and started wandering. xD

Last edited:
Exactly which one are you starting with? If its something super hard like the original Legend of Zelda or A Link to the Past, that might be really discouraging for beginners. I suggest playing Twilight Princess. That game is much less stressful & It basically point you to the right direction alot. & Dont feel bad about looking at walkthroughs, especially a video walkthrough. I've done it in almost every Zelda game I've played & I'm without a doubt that millions of other fans have.

Oh, that's easy. Just play Ocarina of Time, and play through the main quest only (ignore the sidequests). You'll get through just fine, you'll see! :yes:
you sure about that?
2 words... water temple

Exactly which one are you starting with? If its something super hard like the original Legend of Zelda or A Link to the Past, that might be really discouraging for beginners. I suggest playing Twilight Princess. That game is much less stressful & It basically point you to the right direction alot. & Dont feel bad about looking at walkthroughs, especially a video walkthrough. I've done it in almost every Zelda game I've played & I'm without a doubt that millions of other fans have.

i think WW is the easyest, TP has the City in the Sky, that place can be confusing at times.

Last edited:

TNinja

Of the Gorons
I sucked really bad the first time i played a zelda game. The first zelda game i played was the Minish Cap, and it took me 3 weeks to figure out how to beat the Madderpillar in the first dungeon. Before, the only games I played were the Final Fantasy games and Pokemon games, so i was use to pressing "Attack" and then the charactor would go and attack the enemy, and if i couldn't beat an enemy i would just level up and then go back and beat it. But in Zelda, you couldn't level up, which i thought was so dumb at the time. But after a while I got use to figuring out the puzzles for each enemy or area, and that's what i like about zelda games, you have to figure everything out yourself, instead of leveling up and moving on, you become an actual adventurer, find items and treasure, and continue your quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom