• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

It's All About Perspective in Windwaker

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
Take a moment if you will and take a look at Windwaker. At first glace you can plainly see that Link, Zelda and TKORL are the protagonist and Ganon clearly the antagonist. If we take a closer look at Ganons intentions it is known that he wants to restore Hyrule to the times before the great flood. Sounds great right? even if he wants to be the supreme ruler. Link and co. can be seen as antagonists at this point because they are effectively resisting the restoration of Hyrule. I mean if they just let it happen couldn't they stop Ganon after the restoration of Hyrule? Would it have been more difficult at this point? I don't think so, so what if all of Ganon's minions are revived its not like Link hasn't made mince meat of them before.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Ganondorf was trying to restore Hyrule so he could rule it once again. The Goddesses themselves flooded Hyrule to stop just that. Even if Hyrule was restored, the people who ended up living there would be made to suffer greatly at the hands of Ganondorf. He's already subjecting The Great Sea to pain and suffering by spreading monsters and kidnapping young girls.
His only reason for restoring Hyrule was so that he could have the kind of power he once held. He isn't trying to restore the kingdom to its former glory for the good of all people. His motive is purely selfish and evil.

The Wind Waker presents a new perspective on Ganondorf. Never before or since has his character been so well developed. Rather than a figure hellbent for power and the pursuit of selfish ends, he is portrayed as a pensive man weary of his past transgressions and not really itching for a fight. Even when Link approaches for the final battle, the former Dark Lord seems hesitant to attack and wishes to negotiate. Ganondorf's defeat in Ocarina of Time and sealing in the Sacred Realm, definitely soured his thoughts regarding war, death, and destruction. This is a clear juxtaposition to his figure in Twilight Princess where he shows no hesitancy in making his power known and enforcing it. I don't necessarily believe Link can be viewed as an antagonist in the Wind Waker, however, the pity the player feels for Ganondorf clearly means the developers over at Nintendo accomplshed a significant end.

Cfrock said:
Even if Hyrule was restored, the people who ended up living there would be made to suffer greatly at the hands of Ganondorf. He's already subjecting The Great Sea to pain and suffering by spreading monsters and kidnapping young girls.
His only reason for restoring Hyrule was so that he could have the kind of power he once held. He isn't trying to restore the kingdom to its former glory for the good of all people. His motive is purely selfish and evil.

I disagree. As I stated above, the series of events following Ocarina of Time completely altered Ganondorf's perspective on life. No longer was he a cruel and heartless antagonist with expansionist desires but rather he sought to return Hyrule to its former glory even if he did not do so along completely moral lines. Also, it's worth noting that in The Wind Waker, Ganondorf strongly refrains from plans which threaten to interfere with regular civilian life. He may not have had the characteristics of protagonist, however, he definitely was not your traditional skull and cross bones type of villain.

As soon as Ganondorf reappeared, he was going against the wishes of the Goddesses. That's a no-no, and Link swooped in to save the day:D
I totally see where you're coming from, though. And then to me, it almost sounds biblical. But I believe it was more of his intentions that Link was trying to stop, and when somebody's doing evil, you stop them as soon as you can, not later when they could have gotten stronger and more powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom