• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Item Capacity Limit Thing

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
I had an idea when rewatching the trailer for ZeldaU. What about having an item carrying limit? I only think this because Epona has all the stuff on her back and Link is carrying nothing! I know SS had the pouches you could upgrade, but what about having, say, 5 slots to carry items? This would mean when you go into a dungeon you would have to pick an choose the correct items to use, maybe you get halfway through and realise "Oh, buttocks, i need the whatsamajig to do that, guess I'll have to go back". It would make it rather more realistic in the sense that you couldn't carry everything but the kitchen sink, but actually you have to make sure you have space.
Idk, i think it would be pretty cool. Discuss!

Salem

SICK
It's like you said, it'll be annoying if you didn't know what item to pick and you got the wrong one for the dungeon and had to leave just for that.

So, no I don't see how this idea could be beneficial.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Stuff like this works for games that have a lot of loot. RPGs that have lots of different armour, weapons, and other items that aren't integral to progressing most of the time. But Zelda is a game where every item is necessary at some point and so, though it's a cool idea, I think it'd just be a bit un-necessary. Nintendo doesn't like to complicate their games too much, always have that family-focus in mind, so I think sticking with Link having Time Lord technology pockets works fine. :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
We already had the Adventure Pouch in Skyward Sword, which limited auxiliary items, but that's as far as it should go. It worked for that because it held non-important items, creating more in-depth resource management, but main items are crucial to gameplay -- they shouldn't be limited.

D

Deleted member 14134

No, I don't want to get half way through a dungeon, realize I brought the wrong item and have to back track all the way through the dungeon again just because I didn't bring the right items.

MW7

If they made the dungeons with puzzles that had multiple solutions, then there wouldn't be a problem. You could bring anything and finish if you can manage to figure out how to use what you brought. For example I recently learned how to beat OoT without using the slingshot (and it's arguably glitch-free since it only involves a weird jump to skip some rooms in the Great Deku Tree). For a specific example in the first room of Inside Jabu Jabu, the first switch on the ceiling can be hit with a well-timed bomb or a bombchu up the wall and most of the rest can be hit by throwing Ruto. As long as Nintendo could design things with the concept in mind, it could be really cool and add significant replay value to the games.

I'll give another OoT example that sounds very similar to this situation. When you unlock the Shadow Temple a first time player might not realize that the lens of truth is virtually required in the dungeon until you know where things are. They might struggle for a while, maybe at least find the hover boots or maybe not. At some point they realize that they should have the lens. I actually heard a story of a person not realize that the lens of truth was in the game and actually manage to beat the dungeon without it on their first playthrough. The point is that it's very possible to design dungeons in which an item is immensely helpful but not required, and this can let players challenge themselves. Maybe there could be item check-ins at the start of each dungeon with a list of suggested items for the player. Someone looking for extra challenge could purposefully choose to bring none of the recommended items with them. However, I'm still not entirely sold on this idea because it just seems like forcing minimalist restrictions on everyone when only some people would appreciate it. This might be more of a Hero Mode or Second Quest type of option to amp up difficulty.

Last edited:

Therapist Bill

The Pianist
Hey! :)

I am with MW7 on this one. I would love to see puzzles that have multiple solutions that include different uses of items/methods. Having this way of structuring the game there would be no crucial items to the game since the puzzles would more revolve around how you want to solve them instead of how the item wants to solve them. Which means you could definitely leave some things at home. This would also add to the replay value for the game imagine being able to complete dungeons with each single item you have, puzzles would obviously be trickier depending on what you bring with you and boss mechanics would change.

Although it does seem like a big leap from the traditional Zelda feel of the game where you have a little clown purse filled with items :D. I think that simply opening up the puzzles & boss mechanics in a multi-path way would be better instead of putting a hard limit on item limit, maybe leave that for a Hard Mode quest. Meaning that we aren't driving a train on tracks, where everything needs to be played out in a certain way with specific items, but rather a canoe that can choose different flows, either the rapids or the calm waters. ;) :)

octorok74

TETTAC
I'm with JJ on having non-important items be limited, but that's it. It just wouldn't make for a very enjoyable playing experience in my opinion if you were limited in what weapons you could bring into a dungeon. I get that it would make for some interesting gameplay and could influence puzzles. But it would be annoying in later dungeons for the first time when you don't have the item you need and so you have to backtrack through the whole dungeon just to get what you need. Just, no. It's way to tedious.

I'm happy with it as it is. An upper limit towards replenishable items like bombs, arrows, potions etc. and just the right amount of slots needed for whatever permanent items we'll get

Djinn

and Tonic
Zelda is typically not built in a way that would require this type of thing. You normally do not constantly collect new armors, swords, boots, etc as you grind through the game and keep improving. Normally Link just picks up one or two themed items important to the game and solving puzzles in the way of armor, boots, or gloves. So I cannot really see an item limit placed unless the entire item system moves apart from the traditional gameplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom