• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is the XBox One OG/S a dead console?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsUax48eBSY

A very good discussion by Digital Foundry.
The TLDR is the internal architecture as well as lack of CPU and GPU power is very dated. The PS4 Slim, XB1X and PS4P all have similar architecture so are easier to develop for. Most developers don't want to develop for the XB1S because of all of this. Being forced to release their games at 30fps and other issues that other consoles don't have.

The Switch at times is below the XB1S quality and at times the Switch games are on par or even slightly better. The main catch there is the Switch is a tablet console. People are ok with the sacrifices for portability and still many Switch games do look relatively good too. Playing games like new DOOM on the go, sure it's not 1080p at 60fps but you can play it anywhere and that's the draw. A sub par experience on a TV only console though? That's kind of unacceptable these days. That's what the XB1S is delivering.

The XB1S (and the OG too) internally is just a better 360. Sure the 360 back in the day was cutting edge byt today tech has moved on. As evidenced with the PS4, PS4P and XB1X all moving to a different internal architecture.

Personally I can see Microsoft soon-ish announcing the XBox 2 and maybe having some of the games have backwards support with the XB1X only. Honestly apart from being used as a streaming box, the XB1S is a dead console in my opinion. A PS4S is very cheap these days, plays all the multiplats and PS4 exclusives all very well on a 1080p television. Also there's not that many XB1 exclusives anyway worth getting.

What's your opinion on all of this?

The original Xbox One is dead. Microsoft is now focusing on the Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

The S still has life in it, though. It doesn't matter that it can't run all games at a stable frame rate. A lot of developers should take the time to optimize for the weaker hardware. The hardware is there for people who can't afford the Xbox One X or don't care for it. With huge sales during the past Black Friday and Christmas, I'm sure the Xbox One S sells well enough to justify its existence.

The original Xbox One is dead. Microsoft is now focusing on the Xbox One S and Xbox One X.
The XB1S functionally is the same as the OG XB1 though. All the issues that affect the OG also affect the S.
My question is, is the OG and S dead. When I speak of one I speak of both together.

A lot of developers should take the time to optimize for the weaker hardware.
The hardware is not only weaker. It's also very different. The developers are complaining it's taking up too much of their resources to support the XB1 OG/S. Unlike the PS4 OG/S which is very similar to the PS4P, only not as powerful. The industry moved away from what the PS3 was internally. Microsoft was slow to realise this and the XB1 suffered. I think going forward I think the XB1X and XB2 will be the only things supported from 2020 onwards. That would be a smart move and make many developers very happy in the process.

I'm sure the Xbox One S sells well enough to justify its existence.
I am sure it will also. I do think Microsoft really need to move on. The XB1 OG/S in my opinion is as bad as the WiiU was for Nintendo. Maybe not in sales but every other way it is. The XB1X literally saved the XB1 brand. Without it even the MS fans would have jumped ship to the PS4S or PS4P. The XB1 was DOA. The WiiU almost suffered the same fate, however Nintendo put out a few good games to save it from total disaster. What good exclusives are there that play well on the XB1 OG/S? Not many that I know of and that's the issue. A good game or two every year-ish would have saved it. By exclusive I mean not also available to play on PC at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom