• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is the WII U Truly Inferior, or is It Just Lazy Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Fine, how would an N64 run physics that can match Skryim's Havoc Engine and have enough memory for a persistent world the size of Skyrim?

6li6X.png

Again, the difference in hardware is NOT identical.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Apparently all of my favorite games suck and I should just play Skyrim instead of wasting my time on Ocarina of Suck and Pokemon: Suck Version

Cfrock

Keep it strong
And guess what, not everyone cares about exclusives. Some people just want a cheap box to play some CoD, GTA, or some other mainstream multiplats.

For those people, the Wii U is currently one of the best options on the market, then, given how it is so much cheaper to own (and run) than the competition, and now has a good library of released, and upcoming, exclusives to support it. The 360 or PS3, also cheap and with robust libraries, would be the other most sensible options for such players.

When it comes to game quality. It's also a time-relevant thing. I could just as easily compare Windows 7 tech with Windows '95 and say what you are, but would that be even remotely reasonable?

Oh, how the tables have turned. And all I had to do was use PC terminology!!

It helps game quality. Developers are more freedom when they don't have to worry about hardware limitation. Games with lots of NPCs on screen, open-world games, and games of that sort usually turn out better on more powerful hardware.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It helps game quality. Developers are more freedom when they don't have to worry about hardware limitation. Games with lots of NPCs on screen, open-world games, and games of that sort usually turn out better on more powerful hardware.

That explains why we've seen SUCH an increase in game quality and innovation over the last decade.

Oh, wait... no. No, that's not what happened at all.

I would much rather play the majority of SNES classics than the 3rd party crap we're handed today.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General

It doesn't help the game quality though when the games are bland, not creative, and extremely casual.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
It helps game quality. Developers are more freedom when they don't have to worry about hardware limitation.

Hardware limitation isn't always a bad thing, though. Take Metroid. The ice-beam only exists because of hardware limitations, and it has become an iconic weapon that totally changed the game's level and enemy design for the better. The way developers deal with the limits of hardware can be just as, or possibly more, important than being able to do everything, because it can force you to think more creatively.

So by trying an emulator you know how well an old game console works. So simply based on that logic, that means that the NES console must have crashed countless of times as I'm sure you only experienced that from emulators. Even then, who uses an emulator? If really want to compare, look it up the internet or buy the console to show your point. An emulator means nothing.

Okay, I'd agree with you if it was PS2 emulation, but NES emulation is almost perfect that this point.

Pretty much all popular titles work perfectly with no glitches, and even a lot of the obscure titles work well enough to be played though. I've never had a NES emulator crash on me. I even play with a USB gamepad.

There's no difference between emulation of an old, well-understood system than the real thing. I'd even say my USB gamepad is more comfortable than a NES gamepad.

Fig

The Altruist
Honestly, no one should bye a game console because of its power. Power doesn't mean anything, it's all about the library. And when you really think about, 3rd party games doesn't make the console sell more. Sure it would be nice to have 3rd party support but it isn't required. Take away all the 3rd party games from everyone console and I'm certain the Wii U is the only to survive without 3rd party. If the Xbox One and PS4 didn't have the 3rd party support that they have, you will have to expect their 1st party games to come every two years or so because the developers have to work even harder to keep their market. Why do you think games such as Super Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, and Pokemon X & Y versions are given the high praise that they have at this moment in time? Because the developers dedicated their time and resources to make the game as fun, unique, and memorable than simply recoloring the skin of a previous game and make money from it. I don't see why 3rd party should matter in a console because it doesn't in the long run.

That explains why we've seen SUCH an increase in game quality and innovation over the last decade.

Oh, wait... no. No, that's not what happened at all.

I would much rather play the majority of SNES classics than the 3rd party crap we're handed today.

There's been plenty on innovation on the PC side. New types of games and gameplay.

Natural Selection 2 (asymetrical squad-based combat)
Team Fortress 2 (class-dependant FPS)
DOTA (the MOBA genre, which spawned the popular LoL)
Half-Life (defined first-person story-telling and gameplay)
Portal (genius game, not explanation required)

I'm sure there's more, that's all I can think of at the moment.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
There's been plenty on innovation on the PC side. New types of games and gameplay.

Natural Selection 2 (asymetrical squad-based combat)
Team Fortress 2 (class-dependant FPS)
DOTA (the MOBA genre, which spawned the popular LoL)
Half-Life (defined first-person story-telling and gameplay)
Portal (genius game, not explanation required)

I'm sure there's more, that's all I can think of at the moment.

Compared to how much slop we've been handed from companies like EA, Activision, and Capcom? You must be off your rocker if you think there was more innovation in the 7th generation than there was in the 4th and 5th.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Fine, how would an N64 run physics that can match Skryim's Havoc Engine and have enough memory for a persistent world the size of Skyrim?

1) I don't want a world that big to begin with. I don't want a small world, but there is such thing as being too big. Eventually it just gets tedious to traverse and memorize.

2) Power is everything. That doesn't mean it's nothing, it's just a very low priority. The Gamecube gave us a world as big as Wind Waker's...and honestly, I thought THAT was too big. At this point, more power than a 6/7th gen console is a luxury at best. And, honestly, it's not worth the extra money IMO. Only reason I bought the Wii and Wii U is because they were done making games on the Gamecube and N64. Still, at least these consoles give me a new experience instead of just "Better graphics".

I will give you some credit though...this is just my preference. I realize that from a business point of view, Nintendo is making the wrong decisions.

Compared to how much slop we've been handed from companies like EA, Activision, and Capcom? You must be off your rocker if you think there was more innovation in the 7th generation than there was in the 4th and 5th.

Are you forgetting modern indie titles? Didn't have those back then. Tons of indie titles come out every month and are often very innovative and creative. More so than many of the games that came out in the 4th and 5th gen.

Minecraft
The Stanely Parable
Gone Home
Surgeon Simulator
Thomas Was Alone
Amnesia: The Dark Descend
Cave Story
Limbo
Journey

And more.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Are you forgetting modern indie titles? Didn't have those back then. Tons of indie titles come out every month and are often very innovative and creative. More so than many of the games that came out in the 4th and 5th gen.

Minecraft
The Stanely Parable
Gone Home
Surgeon Simulator
Thomas Was Alone
Amnesia: The Dark Descend
Cave Story
Limbo
Journey

And more.

Guess what? We also didn't have as advanced technology back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom