• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is Rolling Really Faster?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
After reading the article from last week to walk or to roll,I noticed that they only used ocarinia of time 3D.Since the rolling in the original Oot is a different speed than the remake, I decided to test it on the original Oot.Before I continue please note that the N64,Gamecube,and Wii versions of Oot all have the same speed walking and rolling. I will tested both young link and Adult link and started timing as soon as I walked out of Kokiri forest,and ended when I got to Hyrule castle. So here were the results-
Young link
Rolling:53 seconds
Walking:1 minute and 4 seconds
Adult Link
Rolling:49 seconds
Walking:56 seconds

So the End product It is A fact now that rolling in both the orginal,and Remake of Ocarinia of Time Rolling is Faster!!! but helpful tip Riding Epona will always be the fastest method to get around.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Rolling is faster than running, but sidehopping is the fastest of all methods of moving except Epona.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Rolling was a pretty effective way to get around, but I'm glad to now have dashing, despite what the Stamina Meter could do to you. Imagine wearing it down after running away from an enemy, such as the Guardian. We'll have to be extra careful in not expending it too quickly.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Rolling was a pretty effective way to get around, but I'm glad to now have dashing, despite what the Stamina Meter could do to you. Imagine wearing it down after running away from an enemy, such as the Guardian. We'll have to be extra careful in not expending it too quickly.
Surely we'll get stamina upgrades! Come now, Troll Slayer, you don't believe that Nintendo would leave us with a measly segments of stamina for the whole game! Link can certainly improve his endurance! (:

The fastest non-glitch way to get around other than epona is a tie between backwalking/rolling. The reason why most speedrunners backwalk is that rolling can be difficult to optimize the speed consistently. Done correctly, rolling is exactly 1.5 times faster than walking/running.

Here's my extremely helpful source: http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot/generalknowledge/movement-speeds
The problem with rolling is that it requires consistence by way of tapping A or whatever it is you have the A button mapped to. Using TAS techniques, this is a moot issue, but under a "correct" speedrun that is the only thing barring users from rolling from place to place rather than backwalking/supersliding.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
side jumping is definitely quickest, can get from Kokiri Woods to Hyrule Castle before nightfall

Rolling is only faster if done correct. Just mashing the A button repeatedly won't help you very much. The timing between pushing the A button is crucial.

What bothers me, is that Adult Link reaches Hyrule Castle in 49 seconds - only 7 seconds faster than normal running! - since I think it could be faster. But maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to try myself, haha!

M

Matthew

I know the fastest way to get to Castle Town Market after getting the Kokiri's Emerald. Swim in the river. You get there a lot quicker. Everyone probably knows this already though, but just thought I'd throw that in.

On topic, I can't believe rolling is faster than running! It seems like there's a single second between rolls, but when you're running, you don't have to stop for anything.
I also agree about Z Targeting and Running. Very quick. Just wish I knew where I was going at all times. -__-

Zorth

#Scoundrel
If you've played the game too much like me..
Then you won't need rolling, You can just run backwards wherever you want without getting off track which btw is the fastest transportation as a child. I've even completed the game 100% (Yes I said 100% with everything collected) by only running backwards, It was very much like a speed run.

But nowadays I do minimalist speed-runs, I'll even do one for SS on launch day.. It's as hard as it can get, I have no knowledge of the game AND I'm doing a minimalist speed-run.. Geez what have I gotten myself into, I'll be socially dead for 2 days when SS comes out.

Rolling is faster than running, but sidehopping is the fastest of all methods of moving except Epona.

That's not quite true, If I remember correctly then side-hopping is only the fastest way to get up the stairs or pretty much anything that goes up. Running backwards is the fastest transportation on normal ground as a child.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
While rolling is faster than running, your speed is not constant when rolling. I prefer backwalking across flat ground, because your speed is constant. Side-hopping is the fastest when going up stairs, like the ones leading to Kakariko Village from Hyrule Field.

M

Matthew

The thing I hate about running backwards is if you need to move to the left or right so much as an inch, your speed and momentum is stopped for you to side-jump, and then you have to start running again.

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
I tried it the other day. Usually when I walk to Hyrule Castle, I don't make it before nightfall and the bridge closes. But I tried rolling, and this time I made it just before the bridge closed, right around sunset. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom