• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is It Weird for Girls to <3 LOZ

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
You can bump old topics just fine as long as the topic can still be relevant. There's no rule against it.This one was okay. And we could easily keep talking about this one as it can always have more material.

No, it's not weird to like Zelda as a girl. It is a weird question though as it really shouldn't matter. You like what you like no matter what.

Dan

It's not weird but I guess it's uncommon? When you look at the Male to Female ratio that play video games.

I met a girl with a triforce tattoo working at a movie theater the other day. I brought it up, asked her a few questions (with my wife looking at me angrily), and found out she really only played a few, but she loved TP. I was going to be hard on her (mentally) for having a tattoo for Zelda having only really beat one, but then I thought to myself, I was easily as moved by FF7 and did not need play any of the other FF' games to love it.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
No, it's not weird for girls to like Zelda. Why would it be?

Well, you still shouldn't reply to old threads. At least not threads that are THIS old. It's against the rules :fpalm:
Actually it's not. The topic is still relevant, you silly goose! Don't make me send you to Mordor!

No it's not odd at all. I'm female and I LOVE the zelda universe. And I know for a fact I'll be playing it for a long time.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It's not weird but I guess it's uncommon? When you look at the Male to Female ratio that play video games.
The ratio isn't THAT big. It's barely a 10% difference.
I met a girl with a triforce tattoo working at a movie theater the other day. I brought it up, asked her a few questions (with my wife looking at me angrily), and found out she really only played a few, but she loved TP. I was going to be hard on her (mentally) for having a tattoo for Zelda having only really beat one, but then I thought to myself, I was easily as moved by FF7 and did not need play any of the other FF' games to love it.
Yeah, there's no need to be one of those "only TRUE fans" people. :P There's no requirement to be a fan other than to like something.

On topic, the question is weird. Only obese dudebros who live in their mothers' basement and drink dorito-flavored mountain dew think that video games are for guys. There's no need for gatekeeping. Gatekeeping is for losers. :P

Misty

Ronin
Depends on how we're defining "weird". But I'll be that guy, yes, it is weird. By which I mean not particularly normal. Feel free to follow my reasoning below.

It is not average to be a female gamer. (Unless we're defining candy crush and the kim kardashian app game as gaming) Most women, the vast majority of women do not game in the proper sense that I think most of us here would use if we were defining what it is to be a gamer. I don't think this is gatekeeping or not true scotsman, I just think that somewhere deep inside, we agree that playing mario kart while drunk and having a high score on temple run doesn't make you a gamer. That is not to say there are not many proper female gamers, I consider myself one, but I do not for a second think I'm normal. I also don't think properly being a hardcore (to use a distinction) gamer makes me a special snowflake. It just means I'm slightly less normal than the norm.

So if you're checking yes to playing proper video games as a female, you're already on the weird side. Not eat the paste or calculate the width of a tree from mario in real life weird, but certainly normal isn't applicable.

Now, being a lover of something also is, I would say, on the weird side. Lots of people play pen and paper games. Not everyone reads a system never intending to play it just for fun. Lots of people like Zelda, not everyone gets married cosplaying as that. Not everyone runs a website dedicated to it. Not everyone joins a forum about it. Ya feel?

So if you're checking yes to loving something. Not just liking it or being positive about it, you're on the abnormal spectrum.

There are a few other factors I could mention, but most follow the same logic as above. Yes, you are weird. I do not encourage anyone to feel badly about that. But saying you aren't weird is rather intellectually dishonest. It has the same bad smell as Felicia Day's "Now I'm The One That's Cool" music video. Be weird. Don't care if you are.

I'd also point out for the pure hilarity of it that this question is being asked on a site dedicated to Zelda. It seems like you aren't going to get a very honest representation of the world and how it views girls playing Zelda from such a place. It's like asking a forum of Nazis if killing the lame and Jewish is weird.

Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom