• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is It Fair For A Teacher To Fail You For . . .

In my dreaded spanish class, we are doing some sort of hotel unit. Learning things like how to say rug or receptionist really annoy me because, being Puerto Rican, I know all this stuff and I feel like a child in that class -.- Anyways, my mini-rant aside, although homework in that class is never a problem for me, I had a huge dilemma with a recent assignment. We were supposed to write about our first expirience in a hotel, bottom line, I've never stayed in a hotel. When I nicely try to explain this to her the next day . . . she totally dismisses everything I've said and fails me for the assignment regardless of the circumstances. Is this fair in any way? I even asked her if I could just write about something else for equal credit, however she didn't care to comply. Thoughts on something I could tell my teacher to make this fair? Thanks!

Your teacher has no right to fail you for that. I mean, sure, you could lie about being in a hotel, but that still doesn't mean that your teacher can fail you for that.

Ice Sage

these are words
I totally agree. She really should just give you a different assignment. Did you tell her this when the assignment was due, or before that? If you told her that when it was due, she may have been thinking you were just making an excuse because you didn't do it. Hope you get this resolved.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
The same thing happens to me sometimes. I've been told to make something up, like jstar said, but my imagination fails me at school. 99% of the time an alternitive assignment is not at all an option or the teacher won't let me. At the end I just make up something anyway and even though it never makes any sense I get a decent grade anyway.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The same stuff happens in my Spanish 2 class though I have never failed an assignment – we're blatantly told to fake an experience. We can even use pop stars and stuff, just for laughs!

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
In my dreaded spanish class, we are doing some sort of hotel unit. Learning things like how to say rug or receptionist really annoy me because, being Puerto Rican, I know all this stuff and I feel like a child in that class -.- Anyways, my mini-rant aside, although homework in that class is never a problem for me, I had a huge dilemma with a recent assignment. We were supposed to write about our first expirience in a hotel, bottom line, I've never stayed in a hotel. When I nicely try to explain this to her the next day . . . she totally dismisses everything I've said and fails me for the assignment regardless of the circumstances. Is this fair in any way? I even asked her if I could just write about something else for equal credit, however she didn't care to comply. Thoughts on something I could tell my teacher to make this fair? Thanks!

This used to happen to me a lot in school (not necessarily hotel wise, but just general experiences I never had). What I always did was come up with the most insane fake experiences for myself. In your situation, maybe come up with a crazy story about how you solved a murder your first night in the hotel or something. You are doing as the assignment said to the best of your abilities. Plus the slight sarcasm in a fake assignment as such is always fun. ;)
I do, however, agree that it is unfair that she would not allow you to do an alternative assignment, or even mention 'make something up.' However, there is an issue if it just happened to be that you waited until the last second to tell her. But, other than that, she had no right to fail you. Depending on what grade you are in, perhaps bring it up (or have your parents bring it up) with an administrator. If you feel you were unjustly graded, they would know how to deal with it, and set in place guidelines for similar situations that happen in the future.
I'm sorry to hear about that, though :(

This used to happen to me a lot in school (not necessarily hotel wise, but just general experiences I never had). What I always did was come up with the most insane fake experiences for myself. In your situation, maybe come up with a crazy story about how you solved a murder your first night in the hotel or something. You are doing as the assignment said to the best of your abilities. Plus the slight sarcasm in a fake assignment as such is always fun. ;)
I do, however, agree that it is unfair that she would not allow you to do an alternative assignment, or even mention 'make something up.' However, there is an issue if it just happened to be that you waited until the last second to tell her. But, other than that, she had no right to fail you. Depending on what grade you are in, perhaps bring it up (or have your parents bring it up) with an administrator. If you feel you were unjustly graded, they would know how to deal with it, and set in place guidelines for similar situations that happen in the future.
I'm sorry to hear about that, though :(
xD Love this idea lol Thanks for all your replies, my mom sent her an email yesterday and suddenly my teacher came to me with a total change of heart . . . I really wish I knew what my mom sent her xD Anyways, she says I should use an experience from someone else, anyone have any funny or interesting hotel experiences?

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Nobody scares public school teachers/administrators more than parents! I'm glad to see that everything worked out.
As for hotel experiences... I was on a trip with a school team once, and while I was taking a nap in the room between competitions (I was incredibly tired), my friends decided to draw some all over me (writing 'I love you' on my arms, and drawing a kitty nose/whiskers on my face). I wasn't paying attention, and ended up walking around the hotel with my face like that until somebody finally thought to tell me. ><

Last edited:

Conor

the over analysing guy
The same thing happened to a lot of people in French, I'd complain to the head of department or some higher authority, she should've taken that possibility into consideration.

Teachers are some of the most stubborn people on the planet. Not always, but in your case it seems so. I'd recommend either creating a fake experience and turning it in late (I'm not aware of your teacher's late assignment policy), or accepting the 0% and working hard to make up for the bad grade.

I really think this is so unfair mate.
The thing is you where nice enough to explain to your teacher that you have never stayed in a hotel so of course you could not write about your hotel experience.
Id go and talk to the principal of your school and explain the situation and then he can have a word with your teacher about this problem.

You could also make up a story about staying in a hotel but that could make things worse as she will think you are lying and then you will say to yourself why did i make a story up.
Or just accept your teacher failed you for something that you can do nothing about.
For me id do the first suggestion go see the Principal of your school,the second option about making up a story is the worst of the 3 options.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for a teacher-student revolution, there's a club in my school called "Our Hidden Rights" xD The teachers at my school are literally all like this!

xD Love this idea lol Thanks for all your replies, my mom sent her an email yesterday and suddenly my teacher came to me with a total change of heart . . . I really wish I knew what my mom sent her xD Anyways, she says I should use an experience from someone else, anyone have any funny or interesting hotel experiences?

Do I ever! Haha. This actually just happened to me last week. I had made a hotel reservation over the phone, and the woman I spoke to was having issues getting the spelling of my last name right. I spelled it to her four times "L as in lizard, etc", and thought all was well. Then, when I got to the hotel and gave the receptionist my name, she said that my reservation didn't exist. I was in town for a five-day conference. She checked other nearby hotels, but my reservation wasn't there either. I had a confirmation number with me, but the receptionist was telling me that the number I had was wrong. This was my first time traveling all alone, so I was almost in tears thinking that I would have to sleep on the streets or something. Finally, after almost half an hour on the phone with the hotel company they looked up my "wrong" confirmation number and found my reservation. It turns out that my first and name had been terribly misspelled when I made my reservation. Everything was fixed, and I didn't have to sleep on the streets after all. But it was really scary. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom