• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Every Link a Hero?

Yeah maybe! They're Godesses! They can do anything. But if that's the case, then they could stop Ganondorf themselves if they wanted to...

Maybe they're lazy Godesses!

In OoT specifically it is said that the TriForce was created at the point were the Goddesses departed the world. I don't have the exact text on me but it was in the same vein. I was under the impression that the Goddesses don't step in themselves because after creating Hyrule and it's neighboring lands they left to another realm or something. I think they left behind some spell or magic of some kind, through the TF, that would create and reincarnate the hero Link to protect the world since they themselves weren't there to do it.
Per the quote Locke posted, it would appear the Goddesses set it up to occur that way through the very power of the TF they created.

Z

zorbak962

i was just thinking about that, maybe there is a link during times of peace

C

Caleb, Of Asui

With Zelda I'm fairly certain it's canon that by tradition each next daughter in line has the name passed down to her. Obviously, with the necessary time gaps between games, there would have to be more Zeldas not involved in some sort of calamity or conflict depicted in the series.

Just wanted to address that first for the sake of comparison. In the case of Link, we don't know for sure that the name is passed down generation to generation. If it is then likewise there must be Links who never become heroes. It's less certain, however, that the Links of the different games are even related to one another. In The Wind Waker they say outright that Link is not a literal descendant of the Hero of Time (although you might say that's a special case what with the split timeline).

There's also the element that the name Link is supposed to be more or less a filler name. In other words, Link is the default name for the hero of every story, but by virtue of both the name's meaning and the fact that you can choose his name in almost every game, what each Link is actually named is somewhat ambiguous, meaning there's no solid canon name for any Links (except perhaps in The Legend of Zelda and in Four Swords Adventures). Link's name is whatever you name him; it's possible that each hero is in fact named Link, while it's also equally possible that each hero has a different name entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom