• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is DLC as offensive as it used to be?

Dan

Does anyone remember the outrage over Oblivions horse armour dlc? What about people annoyed at Nintendo starting their own DLC through dumb toys you'd expect to see in a happy meal box at your McDonalds? It seems the outrage at such practices is shortly lived as both the above are common place now. I personally have seen friends pitch a fit at the above but fast forward to present day they have no issues with it any more, memories seem to be short.

Like, imagine if you had to pay DLC for a pair of legs? Would you be cool with that?
gbpMriF.jpg

Have you guys changed your mind over the practices above or perhaps you were always cool with them?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I am not cool with paid DLC that should be in the game in the first place. And that costs more than the content is worth.

The Witcher 3 is an example of a game that offers DLC the way it should be and that I have no problem with. $9.99 for Hearts of stone which has at least 8 hours of story content and one of the best told stories in a game. Then there is Blood and Wine which is $19.99 and offers over 20 hours of content, more than some full games!

Then you have the amiibo which cost sometimes more than that, offering content which should be in the games anyway and that is worth a dollar at most. I will never support this and refuse to buy them.

As consumers we should be voting with our wallets and if we are not ok with a particular practice we shouldn't buy into it because that only tells the developers they can **** us harder.

Dan

As consumers we should be voting with our wallets and if we are not ok with a particular practice we shouldn't buy into it because that only tells the developers they can **** us harder.

I couldn't agree more, which is why I always eye roll at friends when they flip flop on their previous principles.

What you speak of in regards to the Witcher 3 is more along the lines of expansion packs from the days of old that added a huge chuck to the game such as story, new game play, and more. Warcraft 3 the frozen throne, Command and Conquer Yuri's revenge, Starcraft Brood wars are all good examples of this.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
It has gotten sad. If it is guaranteed worth money, then suuuure, but if it is for some stupid cosmetics or frickin half of the game, it isn't worth it and is just a way for them to make a 100$ game

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
It seems as though publishers have backed off on the malicious DLC practices due in large part to consumer backlash. Also, the fact that AAA video game production has just about come to a complete stop might also have something to do with it. Can't have DLC without a game in the first place. But I can't remember the last time a major DLC was announced or someone made a big deal about a season pass.

Arkane Studio's Prey just released its moon DLC and it's actually being received pretty well. It's creative. It's like a whole new game. A good example of what DLC should be. I also know Ubisoft's Farcry 5 just got its Mars DLC and it's not being received very well. Not for being shady, but for being Ubisoft brand lame.

Obsidian is set to release the first of its Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire DLC. It looks like it's snow themed again like the last game's DLC which seems kinda lame and questionable but whatevs. I'll play it anyway because that game is slick as all get out. I just need to figure out how to get it to work with my base game from GOG because I'm not buying from them anymore.

But none of these DLCs do anything shady. Publishers seem to have given up on that. It's all about the lootboxes now and that's not working out very well for them either. Triple A production has expressly stated their intention to discontinue single player development entirely anyway so whatever DLC comes around now will be extra maps or whatever for multiplayer only games like the bajillion Overwatch and PUBG clones they're churning out now.

Dan

It seems as though publishers have backed off on the malicious DLC practices due in large part to consumer backlash. Also, the fact that AAA video game production has just about come to a complete stop might also have something to do with it. Can't have DLC without a game in the first place. But I can't remember the last time a major DLC was announced or someone made a big deal about a season pass.

Arkane Studio's Prey just released its moon DLC and it's actually being received pretty well. It's creative. It's like a whole new game. A good example of what DLC should be. I also know Ubisoft's Farcry 5 just got its Mars DLC and it's not being received very well. Not for being shady, but for being Ubisoft brand lame.

Obsidian is set to release the first of its Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire DLC. It looks like it's snow themed again like the last game's DLC which seems kinda lame and questionable but whatevs. I'll play it anyway because that game is slick as all get out. I just need to figure out how to get it to work with my base game from GOG because I'm not buying from them anymore.

But none of these DLCs do anything shady. Publishers seem to have given up on that. It's all about the lootboxes now and that's not working out very well for them either. Triple A production has expressly stated their intention to discontinue single player development entirely anyway so whatever DLC comes around now will be extra maps or whatever for multiplayer only games like the bajillion Overwatch and PUBG clones they're churning out now.

It's grown and manifested like a hydra. Don't forget the pre-order bull**** you can get which is usually DLC later. Can't forget MOAR PLASTIC.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
metroid 2 samus returns is still one of the worst offenders of locking stuff behind an amiibo paywall, also the wolf link amiibo in breath of the wild and twilight princess hd

Quin

Disaster Master
Hopefully Nintendo learned their lesson. WarioWare Gold shows exactly how Amiibo functionality should be in games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom