• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Is a Zelda Game Good if It Doesn't Feature Link?

ILU

i luv u
Currently, no, a Zelda game isn't good if Link is removed (IMO). Or, maybe it's good, but feels like a spinoff more than anything else (see Tingle games). Link is the players' avatar, or at least he has been for the majority of the games. The newer titles have explored expanding his personality into one of his own, but at the same time he retained the avatar role, and now he's stuck in an identity crisis limbo where he's neither completely the avatar nor is he a developed protagonist.

As long as he is used as the players' avatar- even in that odd avatar/incomplete-character limbo- removing him removes the player from the story, and that defeats the purpose of "Link." One of my biggest issues with Twilight Princess was how much of his spotlight- MY spotlight as the hero- was stolen by Midna. He wasn't completely removed, but he might as well have been. Midna was cool, but she alone wasn't enough to replace having Link there.

If Link were to be removed by means of playing another character, that character would likely need to break out of Link's character hell and have a defined personality of their own rather than assume the old role of being a "Link" between the avatar and player. Additionally, there would need to be more well-defined characters that would complete the story's narrative and fill in the gaps. Again, I point out how Twilight Princess had just a few defined characters, but they more or less acted as a Midna clone in telling Link exactly what he needed to do rather than partake in captivating dialog or actions and letting the player find solutions on his or her own.

So, in conclusion, removing Link- at this current point- removes the player, and in order to have a great Zelda game (again, IMO), a balancing act involving a lot of character development and story interaction needs to be performed to ensure that the game is not only good, but also feels like a Zelda game.

I think it CAN be done... perhaps with a Link-like character clad in green for novelty's sake, but go ahead and develop him into his ( or her! ) own person. It'd be kind of similar to playing Luigi in a Mario game.

Last edited:

Tatl Tael Link

Hero of Hyrule
I want nothing more than to have a Zelda game with Zelda as a strong, independent lead. I want to see a game that details what happened the 7 years in OoT that Link was in the Temple of Time. I liked the idea from the Zelda manga that she became Ganondorf's pupil as Sheik. I would really like to see a game where you play as Zelda/Sheik working for Ganondorf, all the while secretly plotting against him.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Meh, sure it could be a good game. But it would take a lot of heat and rightfully so. Link is the main character of the Zelda series and to take him out wouldn't make much sense imo. That's worse then not having Zelda in the game. It just doesn't seem like something that would work well, especially at this point in the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom