• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Is A Link to the Past Too "Dark"?

germ1137

Lokomo Ninja
Now, before you start typing:"Whaa? It's 2-D! It can't be as dark as something like Twilight Princess!", I want you to think about it. In every moment of the game, Hyrule is in a time of dispair. At the very beginning, you see maidens being sacrificed, your uncle getting killed. And pretty soon, both the minister and Zelda fall into dispair. To me, the whole game is just a one-way ticket to total panic. But what do you think?

Ganondork

goo
In some regards it was dark. In my opinion, the background music made it slightly more upbeat, but there were kinda gaps in the tragic events to help you forget. I personally loved ALttP, it was in a tie for my 1st favorite with Oot because of how serious it was. I suppose you could say the events and storyline were "grim" but not dark. TP was "dark." Majora's Mask was "dark." ALttP wasn't nearly as bad, in Zelda, people kinda drop like flies, just not normally people close to you.

A

alex_rosenberg

I will agree with Ganondork. The storyline in A Link to the Past was very serious, but not really "Dark." In Majora's Mask, there were a ton of dark themes sewn into the story.

KickingGeese

I blame Dinkleberg.
In some regards it was dark. In my opinion, the background music made it slightly more upbeat, but there were kinda gaps in the tragic events to help you forget. I personally loved ALttP, it was in a tie for my 1st favorite with Oot because of how serious it was. I suppose you could say the events and storyline were "grim" but not dark. TP was "dark." Majora's Mask was "dark." ALttP wasn't nearly as bad, in Zelda, people kinda drop like flies, just not normally people close to you.

I don't think it was that dark, I think it was just more serious. JuiceJ had it right in my view :)

It depends exactly one what you mean by "dark". It was pretty serious, and their was some depressing moments, the boy with the flute for instance who got trapped in the dark realm, or the first time you go to the dark realm you meet those people who got trapped there and of course your uncle dying. There were many instances like that. There definitely was a sense of despair throughout the land and a foreboding feeling throughout the game. The dark world was pretty dark I would say :P
ALTTP and TP are similar in a lot of ways with that dark vs light theme going on. I love the way ALTTP did it though, you could tell the dark world really was a twisted awful place.
I wouldn't say it was "too" dark. I think dark can be good in story telling and to really get sucked into a game or world it's helps to see just how evil the bad guy really is. I thought ALTTP was a brilliant game and they nailed the atmosphere there.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I would definitely agree that the very beginning where it's raining and you sneak into Hyrule Castle and witness your uncle's death(?) is very dark, much moreso than you would probably expect from a 2D game, but once you leave the Sanctuary and get all the upbeat music and whatnot it's just as light as the rest of the series. Even when you get to the Dark World, the music is still quite upbeat, although the hazy colors and whatnot does give off its own unique feel, but not something I would necessarily describe as dark.

M

Majora Deity

This game was Dark and Serious at the same time.
A Balance of Darkness and a Serious Theme fits A Link to the Past.
Great game also :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom