• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Inspirations of Awesome

It's rather well known that Mr. Myamoto created Zelda after seeing the movie "The Legend" (google it - it's like the book if LoZ is Cliffnotes). However, in later games the story expanded and some of this has come from real legend. For instance, in OoT the three godesses and the triforce speak of the Divine Trinity. Any other thoughts?

Majora's Cat

How about that
Haha. Miyamoto's inspiration called "The Legend" is nothing compared to what Miyamoto actually spawned from the TV series. What was a South Korean TV show created the greatest franchise in video game history. It's funny how such small inspirations like "The Legend" can create something much larger and better. For that I thank the creators of the show for inspiring Miyamoto to create the Zelda series.

I like how ideas can be translated into something greater. Perhaps one day someone will draw inspiration from Miyamoto and create something even bigger. :xd: Just kidding! Nothing will ever be bigger than Zelda... plus... several other game developers have tried copying Zelda and PHAILED. :)

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Really? I thought he said he got the idea from exploring the woods as a child. Maybe that was just for the gameplay.
He also said that he doesn't try to pull anything from specific cultures, but of course common themes (such as the hero's journey) will find their way into the story.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
found this in my search. hadn't seen it before: (Miyamoto Shrine)
I: Do you get inspiration from movies?
SM: No, I never see a film and then say "I'll make this now". But... whenever I'm stuck on something, sometimes I just suck a movie in like a sponge. (laughs) I'm not saying that imitating something is a bad thing. If you're just ingesting it like a sponge, then you still have the ability to think it over for yourself. It becomes part of you. If you stand in the same spot as everyone else, then you'll lose out.
...and another new one that goes against my original statement: (Miyamoto Shrine)
Superplay: Apparently the tale of Hyrule were created by Kensuke Tanabe, and he was very inspired by Tolkien's books. How much of the original manuscript was written by him and what were your ideas?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Are you still talking about the the first Zelda game?

Superplay: Yes.

Shigeru Miyamoto: Tanabe wasn't part of the Zelda team until A Link to the Past. He wrote the story to that and Links Awakening.

Superplay: So it wasn't him that wrote the original manuscript?

Shigeru Miyamoto: No, no... All ideas for The legend of Zelda were mine and Takashi Tezukas.

Superplay: Okay, so what influenced you then?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Books, movies and our own lives. Legend of Zelda was based on my childhood.
off-topic, but interesting (from the same interview as the last quote, which is also the interview in which he mentioned the master timeline document for the first time)
Superplay: The sequel, Zelda II: Adventures of Link was a very different game. Why was this? And why have you never done anything like it again?

Shigeru Miyamoto: It was my idea, but the actual game was developed by another team, different people to those that made the first game. Compared to Legend of Zelda, Zelda II went exactly what we expected... All games I make usually gets better in the development process, since good ideas keep coming, but Zelda II was sort of a failure...

Superplay: So that's why the third game looked like the first one?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Exactly. We actually see A link to the Past as the real sequel to Legend of Zelda. Zelda II was more of a side story about what happened to Link after the events in Legend of Zelda.
....................................../AoL
ZOMG TRUE TIMELINE = LoZ--LttP

back to seriousness, I'm seeing a trend of Miyamoto avoiding any "where do you get your inspiration" questions while searching through mshrine. He often says he gets it from himself or from his games, as in this one:
Fielder: Where do your ideas for the games and the characters come from?

Miyamoto: I wish I could find somewhere where I could get ideas, but unfortunately, I don't have any specific place. Rather, in my case, I often come up with ideas while I am talking with my programmers and creators.

I didn't see the specific quote I was looking for about exploring the woods though. I think that might actually have been in an Iwata Asks.
--just saw it on Zeldapedia, but of course they didn't give a source...

His 'not pulling from specific cultures' quote also escapes me, but I think I've provided enough supplement above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom