• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild In Which Way Would You Like to See the Gamepad Being Used?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
A big question about the next installment of Zelda on the Wii U is the controls!

One big part of the Wii U's design is the Gamepad itself, it offers a new way to play and interact with the game and from my point of veiw the gamepad is one most innovative and comfy controllers to date! The real question is though is how should the Gamepad pad be utilised?

If you have seen any gameplay or have used the Wii U gamepad yourself you will probably realise that there is many ways to use it, you can use the normal button controls, touchscreen, motion, interaction between gamepad and tv and using the gamepad by itself to play the game. Zelda could benefit from many of these features and personally I would love to see the interaction between the gamepad and TV bieng used. If you take ZombiU for example, this game showed us how great the game can be with the interaction features between controller and TV.....These would also be very useful in a Zelda game, for example you could move the gamepad to look around and zoom in on the TV and use it to zoom in for projectile weapons. Another feature that would work well is the Gamepad acting as sort of a HUD system, this would allow for easy access to options, save features, items the map Ect.

How would you guys like the Gamepad to be used in the next installment of Zelda on Wii U

Definitely shooting with the Bow, Hookshot etc. the way it was done in Battle Quest was pretty well done and I would like it to be used in a similar fashion again. Other uses could include selecting items, first-person viewing, using it like the lens of truth (that would be amazing). There are lots of ideas, but I think they will be heavily used for items and looking around in first-person.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
How would you guys like the Gamepad to be used

Short answer: extensively.

Using it to aim the Bow and Clawshot and any other aimable (is that a word?) items is a good start. The gyro control in Ocarina of Time 3D is very good and I found it really helped my speed and accuracy with both Bow and Hookshot so seeing that kind of functionality would be a big thumbs up for me.

Another obvious use is inventory management. Using the touch screen in OoT3D and the likes of ZombiU or even Assassin's creed III is much more intuitive and quick than a menu. The Gamepad screen is a good size and could display a large number of items at once, making changing items very slick indeed. Along with inventory goes map display. I wouldn't want the map to be on constant display, like in OoT3D. I would prefer if you still had to open the map and then the Gamepad screen became the map. It'd be like actually holding the map in your hand and you could make notes and scribbles and all of that noise too. Very helpful.

Other uses would require a lot more thought and brainstorming. One thing I note is that the Gamepad has 4 more buttons than the Wiimote/Nunchuck which means it has room for either 4 more equippable item slots (which would further streamline inventory management) or room to give Link a few new moves, like a crouch/crawl to add a thin level of stealth or (one can dare to dream) a jump button.

With the mic, touch screen and gyro, I wonder if Nintendo will resist putting in another instrument. The pan flute, like the one found in Spirit Tracks, would be a natural fit since you could blow it and move it like an actual pan flute. I know that instrument wasn't the most popular though but even using the stylus to pluck guitar strings on the Gamepad or play some drums or holding in combinations of buttons and blowing for a trumpet or something would all be possible. Not saying I want any of these, just trying to demonstrate why I think a new instrument might be on the cards; the Gamepad could certainly incorporate a wide range of them.

I look forward, also, to seeing what the Gamepad does for mini-games. While it doesn't seem fair to describe Nintendo Land as 'mini-games' because they are all so robust and... meaty, like, you can play them for hours at a time, it does show off very well how the Gamepad can be used for simple games. Zelda has had some wonderful mini-games in the past, like Skyward Sword's Thrill Digger and Twilight Princess's STAR Game and Majora's Mask's Goron Racing. After playing Nintendo Land, I am very excited to see what simple but endlessly enjoyable mini-games Nintendo will put in ZeldaU.

Beyond that I have a few small ideas that might be good, might be bad but still entered my head so I shall write them down. First off, raising the Gamepad to head-height making Link block with his shield might be fun. I liked how they had the fun little thing in ZombiU where they made you look like a zombie. Perhaps it would be fun to be able to take a pic of yourself that the game then manipulates in a similar fashion and applies to ReDeads or Moblins, add a little bit of humour to some of the enemies. Using the right stick for camera control, while maybe an underwhelming use, wouldn't sit badly with me if they went for it.

That's all I have off the top of my head for now. Some maybe good ideas, some maybe bad ideas. Point is, the Gamepad is a versatile piece of kit and I hope to see Nintendo make much better use of it than I could if I was in charge :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I honestly do not want to see any *forced* usage of the Gamepad. By forcing players to use the Gamepad as an in-game device, it alienates players and ratings are all that really matter for the Zelda series to this day. That being said, I'd much rather have the Gamepad used in the way it's utilized in Call of Duty: Black Ops II: basically two functions are applied in that instance.

1) One can use the gamepad in conjunction with the TV screen in front of you, with the TV being the main breadth of the game, and the gamepad serving as a minimap, inventory screen, and possibly have some ingame connectivity a la Tingle Tuner.

2) One can hit the "display" button in the corner of the Gamepad screen so they can have your full, HD Zelda experience all in their lap in case the player doesn't *have* a TV or access to their TV.

Any forced gamepad usage would largely alienate ME, along with a sizable chunk of the fanbase. :I

In what way would you like to see the gamepad being used?

Sparingly.

Use it to declutter the HUD on the main screen and give it a couple of touch functions for the subscreens and have that be it. I don't even want to hold it up tot he screen to use my bow like i have to use the bats in ZombiU. the WiiU to me, despite what people say, is still very much a DS posing as a home console. OoT3d worked fine, the game looked wonderful, as ZeldaU will, and the HuD was uncluttered enough for us to appreciate the world around us, unlike TP which was cluttered to buggery (so much so that i have to keep my map permanently switched off just to see a little more).

So really, i hope that the hardware gimmick stays out of Zelda's way this time.

Deeds

no text
Touchscreen to complete various puzzles in dungeons, etc.
That would be nice. Also aiming projectile weapons, and extensive camera viewing - like OoT 3D.

Camera viewing, items swap and/or items, minimap, NFC use of some sort for a minigame just becuse it looks like it would be cool. :P

Just to name a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom