• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Impa in Zelda 1 and Zelda 2

I was reading Impa's wiki page for an ALttP/Oracles theory when a quote popped out at me:
"In the Legend of Zelda, Impa appears in the game as an Old Woman, however she is only named in the game's manual."

I had never heard of the theory that one of the Old Women in Z1 is Impa, but it actually makes quite a bit of sense. Are there just random old women giving Link advice, or, much like the sword-giving sages, are they important (or at least as important as possible for the NES) characters?

There is only one Old Woman in the entire game that is not a saleswoman (and Impa has never been presented as a saleswoman).

Two screens left from the Sword-Giving Man sits a smiling old woman with a brief bit of advice. It is her:
Impa.png
The Old Man at the Grave is the Magical Sword-Giving Old Man. Why would a random Old Woman give Link specifically this information, if she were not privy to Link's ultimate mission. She doesn't charge anything for this: she just offers up the location of the Magical Sword. I think this is Impa.

But what about in Zelda 2? Impa is now name-dropped in the opening crawl. All we know is that she handed Link six crystals in the North Palace and asked him to find his Triforce piece and wake Zelda.

There are also Old Women in Zelda 2, but none of them speak about these crystals or this mission...except one:
Zelda 2.png
This Old Woman is the first NPC with unique dialogue Link can speak to after he enters Rauru Settlement...ehem...Rauru Town. She is, in fact, the only character in the entire game to reference the crystals. There are, in fact, ZERO people other than Link who should know about this quest of the crystals other than Impa, and this Old Woman is one of them. Even moreso than the Old Woman in Zelda 1, I think this is definitevely Impa.

Thoughts? Other candidates? Do you think Impa isn't in either of these games?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I've definitely heard it thrown around that the old woman is impa, and I hadn't thought about the crystal connection to the zelda 2 old woman

it's kinda inconsequential anyway, though it makes me wonder if they were to ever remake these games, would they make it clear that it's supposed to be impa or was it really just a random old woman?

Same here, I'm convinced. I had a headcanon that the Old Man is also a sage, like Sahrasrahla or Aginah or Rauru.

Hmm, seems sensible. If nothing else, it's a nice bit of headcanon that doesn't confirm or contradict anything.

Perhaps at the time, the idea of the character was just a thought, so they made the old woman the same in the games so that, if they made Impa, then people could connect the dots and make such a theory.

Would fit, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom