• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If Zelda Went Futuristic

Well it already has time travel, robots, and your basic shapes :dry:. Those things I like:clap:.
But what if Nintendo made it take place in the future:hmm:. I want your thoughts:thinking:.
Personally I'd hate it -.- unless :hmm: they had Link and Samus working side-by-side :clap:

I dont think Id like it either...but if they made it so that you had to travel back in time to work with a past link i think i t would be boss.

in my opinion i would not like that link is a knight in a way so they do a good job but sticking to the model.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
on The Escapist someone once made a thread that a Zelda game should be modernized, taking place in somewhere like New York instead of Hyrule, having a motor bike instead of Epona and guns instead of the Master Sword. they were pretty much laughed out of the forum.

what makes Zelda great is the era it is set in and the land it takes place in. i agree that time travelling to help yourself out would be great but if it went futuristic, as in science fiction or even became modern times, it wouldn't be Zelda

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
I would hate that. Why? BECAUSE METROID IS FUTURISTIC!!! Zelda has a fantasy setting. That's what makes it better. It would ruin it for me if it took place in the future.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If Zelda went futuristic, all the fanboys would complain. If it stood with the fantasy feeling, all the new people would complain. There's no pleasing everyone because everyone complains at some point.

If Link paired up with Samus, I'd hate the game. If the setting was just futuristic but Link was working solo, I'd love the game!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I don't care if technology is implemented at certain points in the games, like the Ancient Robots in SS, but a whole game that's futuristic would kill it. No matter what, Zelda is still supposed to have that medieval feel to it to some degree, and futuristic would take that away.

Last edited:

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
I doubt that Zelda would have the same feel to it if it were futuristic. I mean, other Zelda games have put futuristic elements in it (not pointing fingers at Skyward Sword), but not so much that it takes away the medieval theme of the game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
whole game that's futuristic would kill it. No matter what, Zelda is still supposed to have that medieval feel to it to some degree, and futuristic would take that away.
Not necessarily. Star Wars: Knights ofthe Old Republic (KOTOR) is futuristic simply due to the fact that it's Star Wars, but we still use medieval crafting techniques so as to improve/change colors of the Lightsaber and other weapons of that sort. Just because it's a futuristic game doesn't mean we won't have medieval elements in it. Gunpowder is medieval, to an extent, but people feel that'd take away from the experience. So at the end of things, futurisitic Zelda games are :? to most fans for some unknown reason..

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
That seems legit. But I definitely don't think that Nintendo should go all out as to make Zelda similar to franchises such as Star Wars, even if the fans called for it. I couldn't see a Zelda game where Link wields the Mastersaber.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Not necessarily. Star Wars: Knights ofthe Old Republic (KOTOR) is futuristic simply due to the fact that it's Star Wars, but we still use medieval crafting techniques so as to improve/change colors of the Lightsaber and other weapons of that sort. Just because it's a futuristic game doesn't mean we won't have medieval elements in it. Gunpowder is medieval, to an extent, but people feel that'd take away from the experience. So at the end of things, futurisitic Zelda games are :? to most fans for some unknown reason..

Yes, but Star Wars has always been futuristic. Zelda hasn't. There's a big difference.

Majora's Cat

How about that
The Legend of Zelda series has always stuck to the same style of gameplay and that same old medieval/simplistic setting. I’ve been thinking - will Nintendo ever dare to take the series in a direction so radically different it could either make or break the series? Chances are the answer is no, but I would like to reflect on the idea of changing the series a bit.

We’ve seen so much variation in video games over the past years. A game series originally focused on the modern age can easily jump ahead to the year 2100 or go back in time, perhaps to the medieval era. Many franchises that have taken these measures are quite successful and keep gamers on their toes. We wonder “what will they do next?”. One good example of this is the Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions game. Spider-Man video games have not had much success in the past, and Shattered Dimensions really changed the fans’ perception of the franchise. Instead of shooting for that same old Spider-Man game, Beenox (developer) decided to take Spidey to the next level. There existed a futuristic Tron-like 2099 universe, a 1940s style dark Noir universe, a more classic Amazing Spider-Man universe and the ever-thrilling and strange Ultimate Universe. Each provided a different look, different gameplay and different atmosphere. It proved to be a smashing success compared to previous Spider-Man games, proving that changing up the old formula can prove to be beneficial.

I really like the idea of a utopia Zelda game. Perhaps like BioShock Infinite. BioShock Infinite takes placed in the utopia-gone-wrong city of Columbia that floats in the sky. A story like this can inspire a deeper storyline and seamlessly threads the gameplay into the plot. This is something that has yet to be seen in a Zelda game. Or maybe the Zelda game could be set in a location similar to that of Cocoon in Final Fantasy XIII and the 2099 universe of Shattered Dimensions.

spiderman2099shattereddimensions-570x321.jpg

[The 2099 universe of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions features illuminated futuristic buildings, somewhat reminiscent of those in the original Spider-Man comics.]​

466397_1276522664487_full.jpg

[Final Fantasy XIII's Cocoon is pretty different from the 2099 universe but still provides a vivid image for what a futuristic Zelda game could look like. While this might not be so appealing to hardcore fans, some may find the idea fascinating.]​

Here's a little chunk of a thread I wrote almost a year ago and have used in a post a few months ago. I feel it applies here as well. Futuristic Zelda games need to still have the classic charm, wittiness and nostalgia that Zelda games should have. Several developers have made huge mistakes when trying to alter the formulas of already-successful franchises too much.

A few elements of Zelda need to stay intact in order for a Zelda game placed in a very futuristic setting. Link must still obtain some version of the Master Sword. Although some installments have done well without the Master Sword, I think that it is key to creating a better Zelda game, and will help retain some of the series' staples.

I would still like to see items like the bow and quiver, hookshot, etc. Just because a Zelda title is set in the future doesn't mean that Link's favorite items need to be flushed down the toilet. They could just be reinvented to look more technology advanced and have more advanced capabilities to correspond with the level of technology.

An absolute no-no, however, is sticking a gun in Link's hand. No one really wants Link to have a Halo-type rifle, as slaughtering enemies from afar has always been the bow's job. If Link is given firearms, the player will have an overwhelming sense of power in the game, and that's not what Zelda is about. A more shooter-based game would offer up less variety in the way of puzzles and restrict the different styles of gameplay that are usually incorporated into a Zelda title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom