• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I just got to play the original Zelda on an actual NES for the first time.

I've played every Zelda game but many of them I've only played ports of on other systems. But today, I just got an N.E.S. and got to play the original Zelda on it for the first time. It's really cool. Has anyone else only played ports? Does it matter to you whether you play on the original hardware, or a port, or a remake or an emulator?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I've played only emulators and the GameCube version. I don't feel like I lost a lot of the experience from not playing it on NES, though it'd be cool to do so.

I've played only emulators and the GameCube version. I don't feel like I lost a lot of the experience from not playing it on NES, though it'd be cool to do so.
Yeah, obviously it's the same game either way. It's just really cool to me to be able to play in it's original form. Now if only I had a Famicom, I could kill Pols voice by blowing in the controller.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I play the GBA version but yeah you can't beat it in it's original format even if the remakes are exactly the same

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I played the Gamecube port. I thought it was awful and I couldn't get into it at all. It might have been good back in the day but it doesn't hold up well.

G

Guest-3

Aw man, I love the NES, though mine is crap, since it's passed down from my own father's child hood. So did you enjoy the original Zelda in all its 8-bit glory? :P

Aw man, I love the NES, though mine is crap, since it's passed down from my own father's child hood. So did you enjoy the original Zelda in all its 8-bit glory? :P
Yeah, it's really cool. I want to try and get the box and manual and map for it too. Also, I have to fiddle with my nes and the cartridges most of the time to get it to work.

I have a working Nes but haven't played the game in some years. I'm planning on getting the Nes Classic(the mini) tomorrow. It will have save points and better graphics. The game is great in any format.
I should be playing it soon.

I can say that in most cases, the ports are the exact same as the original. For example I grew up with Zelda 1 and 2 on the NES. However when I started my collection, I got the GBA ports. They run exactly the same with no real difference other than portability.

Now remakes tend to have some differences, but the core canon experience remains and the remakes actually end up being the better version anyway.

So it is like this, ports have no impact on experience at all.

Remakes will offer the same experience overall, but there are small differences to the execution at times that might leave people prefering one version over the other (even though the remake is pretty much always better).

That is how I see it anyway.

Ah, just had a flashback of reaching the final world in Super Mario Brothers 2 and leaving the game paused because we had to go out, worried someone would touch it while I was gone. That was the NES experience right there.

I remember playing the original zelda. I honestly think the majority of gamers now a days can't beat it without a walkthrough. I remember leaving my nes on when I went to school as I was stuck in the final dungeon and didn't want to start it again. Finally beat it :)

we had Zelda 2 on the NES but my sister traded it for another game. I can't remember what one but it's sad she did as that is the only Zelda game I don't have an original copy of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom