• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"I Found a Mirror Under the Table"

The only words that Link ever spoke in any Zelda game and it was in AoL. I mean, who else could it have been?

(I'm sorry if this has already been brought up but I didn't see anyone else post this and if one has I do apologize)

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I had this kind of speculation about two years ago (you should look in the group section for "the adventure of link fanclub"). I believe those could have been the first (and only?) words that came from Link. Or was it maybe just his reflections, maybe he did not shout it out loud? But I think it is an interesting question and reflection!!

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
I've found something on Wikipedia:

However, he does "speak" two lines in The Adventure of Link; when he locates a mirror under a table, the text, "I found a mirror under the table" appears on screen, and later on, if he examines a fireplace that he can enter, "Looks like I can get in the fireplace" is displayed. He also speaks one line in Ocarina of Time when Mido says he can't see the Great Deku Tree because he doesn't have a sword or shield. Link then comments on that.

What's with the comment in Ocarina of Time :suspicious:?
I don't think so.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
He also says "Wait!" in WW right before Puppet Ganon. He may have spoken also in Spirit Tracks, saying "Maybe we won't let YOU cause any more trouble!" What doesn't make sense is that while the camera is focused on Link and his mouth is moving during the text, it's followed up with a choice of either saying "Yeah!" or "Mmhmm!" so it's not very clear.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
There was also the ending in Phantom Hourglass, when Link and Tetra wake up on the Ghost Ship. Two text boxes show up saying "oh" and "hey", then we see Link and Tetra are the only individuals in sight, but Tetra is unconscious. I don't know if text like that even counts as speech, but they clearly came from Link.

He also says "Wait!" in WW right before Puppet Ganon. He may have spoken also in Spirit Tracks, saying "Maybe we won't let YOU cause any more trouble!" What doesn't make sense is that while the camera is focused on Link and his mouth is moving during the text, it's followed up with a choice of either saying "Yeah!" or "Mmhmm!" so it's not very clear.
I'm pretty sure it was Zelda saying that line, since she speaks for Link all the time, and it wouldn't make sense for the player to choose a comment for something Link says.

I've always been of the impression that these words from Link are either thoughts to himself or grunts and signals of approval/disapproval. Other than his "Come on!" in Wind Waker, I don't think Link ever verbalizes any other words.

he also probably said "Boy, this is really expensive!" in the original, so I find it quite possible that the Hero of Hyrule could talk

That was the shopkeeper that said that.

I don't see how it can give any meaning for the shopkeeper to talk about how expensive his wares are, how can you be so sure, when link's role as a silent protagonist clearly hadn't been created before at least Alttp?

Actually, Link speaks quite a bit in Spirit Tracks. One response even leads to a slight difference in the ending.

germ1137

Lokomo Ninja
You know, the only person whom I can think of in the series who actually SPEAKS out the words instead of them appearing on the screen is Beetle from The Wind Waker. He says stuff like "Oooh" and "Thank you" and "Bye!". It's very spooky.

B

Bocaj910

I'm not sure about any other dialogue that Link has spoken, but I just discovered, "Looks like I can enter the fireplace," in the Adventure of Link, which is a game I actually love. So, two lines have been spoken by him, at least from the ones I've discovered, not including his instances of saying, "Hey!" and, "Come on!" I'd rather Link not speak. He seems better as a mute (scowls at, "Well excuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess!"). >_>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom