• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule's Past Rivals

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I think I've been scaring people away from this forum lately with my curtness. I apologize and wish that if anyone feels personally offended by my responses it is known that that was not the intent, and that I am willing to try (it's quite possible that I won't be able) to rephrase myself if asked politely.
...or maybe it's just dead due to lack of new SS info. I'm not so narcissistic that I think the former has more weight than the latter. =P

Anyway, I'll attempt to remedy the situation by starting discussion on something I've been thinking about.

When I played through TP recently, I found the Snowpeak Mansion and the iced-over armory/barracks in Northern Hyrule Field particularly interesting.

These symbols are prominently displayed in the field barracks:
416.png

415.png

The first symbol is seen all over the Snowpeak Mansion:
398.png

406.png

407.png

409.png

Both the mansion and the hideout were stocked with weapons as well.

From this I gathered that there was a neighboring nation to Hyrule that went to war with it, probably between OoT/MM and TP. It could also have taken place before OoT, but I placed it afterward to satisfy Link's rise to Hero status on the CT -- there are references to such a hero scattered throughout TP -- and the hero's shade's extensive knowledge of warfare tactics not displayed by OoT Link (I believe them to be the same). The banner with the Royal Crest is evidence that the secret hideout was discovered and taken by Hylian forces.

Alternatively, the Mansion's crest could have been used by the Hylians before the unification shortly before OoT, or maybe even before the people from the sky descended during SS. Yes, of course I have to incorporate SS into this theory. It has been a common consideration, judging by the game's symbol and the nature of skyloft, that Hyrule only adopted the bird (in reverence to SS Link, etc) supporting the Triforce (which gained importance if its location was discovered in SS and it is what the evil forces are after) as the Royal Crest after a hero from the sky saved them from their evil oppressors. In this case, the crest seen in the mansion could have been used by the Hylian faction before that, and the mansion and icy hideout may have been used in undisclosed wars with undisclosed nations (or with other known races). The banner with the Royal Crest is evidence that the secret hideout was still used by the new Hylian nation, while the Snowpeak Mansion may have been abandoned.

What do you think of this unexplained crest that is displayed so prominently in TP? There are also many pictures in the mansion that may deserve some thought (found in ZI's Internal Image Resources under TP: Peak Province).

Anemos

Master of Chaos
*applauds*

Amazing discovery! The games haven't quite described other nations very much, so this is quite extraordinary. I'm surprised I missed it.

If you asked me, it looks like a frog/bird with crossed swords. It's also possible that this was a previous crest of Hyrule.

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
Maybe the crest of Hyrule (the triforce with a bird) is the crest of the Royal family of Hyrule (all guards wear that symbol and the entire palace is covered with it) and the crest you found could be the crest of the Hylians.

I never noticed it, you're really good in finding these things :D

i have all ways whated termania and hyrule to invade each other like when at the beging of the game every one is woried about an ivasion and then after a couple dungeons they invade and ocupie part of hyrule and you have to complete a side quest sort of thing to beat termainia and save hyrue from the termainians while you are beating gannon

i have all ways whated termania and hyrule to invade each other like when at the beging of the game every one is woried about an ivasion and then after a couple dungeons they invade and ocupie part of hyrule and you have to complete a side quest sort of thing to beat termainia and save hyrue from the termainians while you are beating gannon

that would be awesome. It would definitely add a different element to the game.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Thanks for your replies and complements everyone!

Maybe the crest of Hyrule (the triforce with a bird) is the crest of the Royal family of Hyrule (all guards wear that symbol and the entire palace is covered with it) and the crest you found could be the crest of the Hylians.
That's also a possibility. But don't people usually adopt the symbol of their government as their own rather than use a separate one? Maybe if this crest was used for a long time before the Royal Family established theirs tthen the old crest might still be used to represent the people in general.

Indeed, very nice find. I do not think that they are rival country symbols, but rather just the symbol for the area.
It's found in two different areas though: in the mansion at Snowpeak and in a cave just outside Castle Town. They are connected though in that they are icy and involve the ball-and-chain (and are thus encounterd in close proximity time-wise during gameplay).

On a side note, maybe I should try writing an article -- or at least a thread in the SS forum -- about exploring TP themes in SS when my schoolwork slows down in a couple weeks. I'd include:
Oocca, interlopers, Snowpeak Mansion crest, maybe past hero references, and I feel like I'm forgetting something else.
some other articles to read during the research process:
Melchizedek Eleazar; Alex Plant (MS); Alex Plant (Oocca); Alex Plant (war)
*these are just notes to myself, and are not intended to distract from the discussion at hand*

P

pokemainiac

That's really interesting! I'd not noticed that before. Alternatively though, it could just mean that they were preparing for war, but great find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom