• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Hyrule from other continents

I love wandering to the edges of Hyrule and getting a sense of how vast the entire globe is, but now I'm wondering how far away the other continents (for lack of a better term) are. In game they don't see that far away: perspective wise they don't look too far away. Compare the view from the Icefall Foothills or the Deplian Badlands at the north end of the map to that of the view of the cliffs of Dover from the coast of France. It's 20 miles across but the white cliffs don't appear to be nearly as high, so what ever channels that surround Hyrule can't be that far. Which begs the question: couldn't we please have a game where we get to explore the wider world? Do they also know of Gannon and how does that effect them?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
anything they add will simply be called Hyrule just for the sake of it. Perhaps they will let you go to a different continent and there may br a quest about diplomacy or something for the upcoming war.

Which begs the question: couldn't we please have a game where we get to explore the wider world? Do they also know of Gannon and how does that effect them?
There are actually several Zelda games set outside the limits of Hyrule. Link's Awakening is set on an island across the ocean, the Oracle games take place in two different kingdoms outside of Hyrule (and even have Ganon's minions actively plotting within them), while Majora's Mask and Phantom Hourglass both take place in realms outside of the one Hyrule's in. Spirit Tracks takes place in "New Hyrule" which is a continent discovered post-The Wind Waker. Even Ordon Village from Twilight Princess is stated to be outside of Hyrule's borders, though it's still treated as within its territory; in all likelihood many of the locations we've visited are not technically strictly within Hyrule but simply neighboring lands it has influence over. I'd bet the Gerudo Desert is one such area.

In terms of actually traveling to an entire other land along with Hyrule in the same game, it would require either an extremely massive game as big or bigger than Breath of the Wild, or only a relatively small amount of map space dedicated to each of the kingdoms.

anything they add will simply be called Hyrule just for the sake of it.
As I said above, no, many games have taken place in other lands entirely, or simply feature areas (like Ordon) outside of Hyrule's border. =P

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
There are actually several Zelda games set outside the limits of Hyrule. Link's Awakening is set on an island across the ocean, the Oracle games take place in two different kingdoms outside of Hyrule (and even have Ganon's minions actively plotting within them), while Majora's Mask and Phantom Hourglass both take place in realms outside of the one Hyrule's in. Spirit Tracks takes place in "New Hyrule" which is a continent discovered post-The Wind Waker. Even Ordon Village from Twilight Princess is stated to be outside of Hyrule's borders, though it's still treated as within its territory; in all likelihood many of the locations we've visited are not technically strictly within Hyrule but simply neighboring lands it has influence over. I'd bet the Gerudo Desert is one such area.

In terms of actually traveling to an entire other land along with Hyrule in the same game, it would require either an extremely massive game as big or bigger than Breath of the Wild, or only a relatively small amount of map space dedicated to each of the kingdoms.

As I said above, no, many games have taken place in other lands entirely, or simply feature areas (like Ordon) outside of Hyrule's border. =P
Orson is outside Hyrule? I didn't know.

That's so dumb. Now all the events in Hyrule seem extra weird with the perspective of a person from another nation

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
while Majora's Mask and Phantom Hourglass both take place in realms outside of the one Hyrule's in.
Termina is a Parallel World entirely, the same is true of Lorule in A Link Between Worlds. I've never played PH so I'm not exactly sure if it is set in a different world completely, I thought it was just a different continent on the Great Sea, that must have been spared from the flood.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Termina is a Parallel World entirely, the same is true of Lorule in A Link Between Worlds. I've never played PH so I'm not exactly sure if it is set in a different world completely, I thought it was just a different continent on the Great Sea, that must have been spared from the flood.

As far as i can tell it's a new land possibly one only accessible via the ocean king or ghost ship.

Orson is outside Hyrule? I didn't know.

That's so dumb. Now all the events in Hyrule seem extra weird with the perspective of a person from another nation
It's not necessarily another nation at all; no broader government or territory is ever mentioned and they talk about paying tribute to the Royal Family of Hyrule; if they're a nation, they're a nation of one village and are just outside Hyrule's borders.

As far as i can tell it's a new land possibly one only accessible via the ocean king or ghost ship.
That's what I meant from "different realm", though I did forget about Lorule. =P Phantom Hourglass doesn't take place on a continent at all -- you're thinking of Spirit Tracks -- but on a section of ocean. At first you think it's just a different section of sea but it is later revealed:

"Our world? So what is the world that we are in now? What is this place..." That it's a different world. The ending of the game even reveals that after all of the time that Link and Tetra spent in the game, it had only been 10 minutes in their original world.

Although even if this hadn't been true, the story makes it clear that it... is a different section of sea. It would still be outside of Hyrule. xP

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It's not necessarily another nation at all; no broader government or territory is ever mentioned and they talk about paying tribute to the Royal Family of Hyrule; if they're a nation, they're a nation of one village and are just outside Hyrule's borders.

That's what I meant from "different realm", though I did forget about Lorule. =P Phantom Hourglass doesn't take place on a continent at all -- you're thinking of Spirit Tracks -- but on a section of ocean. At first you think it's just a different section of sea but it is later revealed:

"Our world? So what is the world that we are in now? What is this place..." That it's a different world. The ending of the game even reveals that after all of the time that Link and Tetra spent in the game, it had only been 10 minutes in their original world.

Although even if this hadn't been true, the story makes it clear that it... is a different section of sea. It would still be outside of Hyrule. xP
Oh. So PH is basically set in a different realm, or world? On the way to the continent ST is set in?

Oh. So PH is basically set in a different realm, or world? On the way to the continent ST is set in?
We have no idea where the place Link and Tetra encountered the Ghost Ship is in relation to the continent of New Hyrule (from ST) but otherwise yeah. It's a different world, like Termina or Lorule. The went back to their world at the end of the game, though, so it's not like New Hyrule is in that world or anything.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
We have no idea where the place Link and Tetra encountered the Ghost Ship is in relation to the continent of New Hyrule (from ST) but otherwise yeah. It's a different world, like Termina or Lorule. The went back to their world at the end of the game, though, so it's not like New Hyrule is in that world or anything.
Yeah, I get that. But basically there were out searching for a new continent in any case.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
here is a complete list of the other lands and realms now established in the canon outside of Hyrule:

Other Kingdoms:
Lorule
The Sky
Hytopia
Sacred Realm
New Hyrule (in the land of the Spirits of Good)

Parallel Worlds:
The Dark World
The Twilight Realm
Holodrum
Labrynna
The Minish World
Koholint Island
Termina
World of the Ocean King

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
here is a complete list of the other lands and realms now established in the canon outside of Hyrule:

Other Kingdoms:
Lorule
The Sky
Hytopia
Sacred Realm
New Hyrule (in the land of the Spirits of Good)

Parallel Worlds:
The Dark World
The Twilight Realm
Holodrum
Labrynna
The Minish World
Koholint Island
Termina
World of the Ocean King

I woouldn't have thought that Holodrum and Labrynna are parallels as we see even zelda being able to traverse to those realms.
Minish world is a world within a world.
Koholint was a dream and in a way so was ocean kings world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom