• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Would You React if Zelda Wii U's Overworld Was Divided?

Any thread on Zelda Wii U is a difficult one since we know nothing about it yet, but go with me on this as it pertains to present discussions of Skyward Sword too. (Hey, don't roll your eyes...)

By divide overworld i mean the return of provinces as seen in Skyward Sword, which would mean manually traveling (sailing/flying etc) across (sea/sky/space) to reach your next destination, in essence it'd rely heavily on transport as SS did. If Zelda Wii U were to employ the province design again, would you like it or loathe it?

There are a few ways to take this though. Rumours say that Zelda Wii U could be the biggest Zelda to date. So if Zelda Wii U did employ the Provinces, there could be every possibility that the provinces would be bigger, bigger than perhaps OoT in general, this could mean that each province could essentially be the size of a full game, sounds great right?

Of course it could be the other way, the provinces could be not much bigger than SS and just be more in number...

But what it comes down to is this; despite the size of number of possible provinces included in Zelda Wii U. If they were would you hate it on principal because you'd rather have a full and connected overworld?

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Divided as in, having to travel manually to another completely unrelated section then plopping down into another province? Yeah, I would buy a Zelda Wii U game and crush it out of rage; the seperation of provinces in SS is a large factor that lead to it being a tedious and boring game overall to m, repeating this "mistake" would most surely cause Zelda Wii U to be tedius and eventually boring in much the same respect. No offense to anyone, I just prefer to have the overworld as one flowing world, especially since Zelda game worlds are NOT that large to begin with. Splitting up an already tiny world into sectioned off provinces seems a tad ridiculous in my mind.

Division of provinces is alright but unlocking each part of the overworld is simply unacceptable. Twilight Princess handled its provinces appropriately, intertwining each region into a flowing whole. Although the dungeon structure was more rigid, it was a general continuation of the open overworlds of its predecessors where players could travel to wherever they desired when they wanted to.

The problem with Phantom Hourglass is that you needed to complete the first dungeon in order to unlock the second quarter of the sea; second dungeon in order to unlock the third quarter of the sea, third dungeon in order to unlock the fourth quarter of the sea. This problem was only compounded in Spirit Tracks because each area had its own theme leading to forced and unnatural transitions. Skyward Sword did the same with a tablet required to unlock another elemental landmass.

And yet the overworlds were better before.Ocarina of Time is a prime example. In said game you traveled to Zora's Domain in order to obtain the Zora's Sapphire. Accessing the area was also very fitting and realistic requiring you to play Zelda's Lullaby in order for the waterfall to part. The best overworld is an unpredictable one. You should never know when you'll travel to a new locale or where that area is. It's this spontaneous factor which recent installments have been lacking making them seem more like a chore than a true adventure.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I would be against the whole province thing. It made the world feel unconnected like a Mario game. Provinces or Levels, because that's exactly what they were...levels....do not belong in Zelda. It might as well have been Super Mario 3....the overworlds were basically the same.

Needless to say....I would loath it like no one has loath something before.

But I'd still buy it no matter what....damn my fanboyism

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
tumblr_lxsd0kpGlr1qg5mer.png

You're kidding, right?

That was one of the things I actually hated about SS.

See, for me it all depends.

With modern technology I think it's safe to say we could make three or more provinces say roughly the size of OoT Hyrule. Each with several towns, fields and locations to explore. My issue with SS wasn't the disconnected regions so much as the fact the regions didn't actually feel like a large explorable overworld. They felt like dungeons with rooms/areas and lacked the feeling of exploring an epic world. So if you made several regions but had each being large with lots of exploration like towns/forests/rivers/deserts etc I think I would like that a lot. I just don't want to feel as small and claustrophobic as SS made me feel.

That's one big point I would give to TP, I love the feeling of a huge OPEN world.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Something like this:

[video=youtube;jzAufWvuXEk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzAufWvuXEk[/video]

In all seriousness I will be very disappointed. I'll still play it, and i bet i'll like it, but that alone will bumb the game down so many levels for me

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
If the provinces were big, that'd be okay. Ish.

Something like this:

[video=youtube;jzAufWvuXEk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzAufWvuXEk[/video]

In all seriousness I will be very disappointed. I'll still play it, and i bet i'll like it, but that alone will bumb the game down so many levels for me

Hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom