• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild How would Shiekah Tech handle a high end heat wave? (backstory below) (real and fictional climate talk)

Back Story: Here in Oregon we are going for the all time record for PDX which was 107F in the multi day 100F heat wave in August 1981. Here is the data if you care to look: National Weather Service - NWS Portland Here is a sample of that time period:
Max Min Average: Departure: HHD CDD Rainfall Snowfall Depth
1981-08-06996180.08.40150.000.00
1981-08-071036383.011.50180.000.00
1981-08-081076586.014.50210.000.00
1981-08-091056786.014.60210.000.00
1981-08-101076184.012.70190.000.00
1981-08-11976480.59.30160.000.0

Now we are going to look at not only breaking that being broken but be the first time PDX or any major PNW populated area reached/exceeds 110F. If ocean flow Monday is delayed we EVEN HAVE A LEGIT CHANCE AT MAKING IT TO 115F WHICH IS SACRAMENTO'S ALL TIME HIGH IN CALIFORNIA!!!! The extreme numbers show 117 to 120F but have 'cooled off' from that. If you can call it that. . .

What kind of scenario might cause this in Hyrule? Could they get winds from the Gerudo Desert similar to Columba George winds here in the PNW that causes massive heat spikes and cool/cold waves with EXTREMELY lip cracking dry dewpoints? How Hot do you imagine Hyrule to get in such a scenario could the castle have a legit shot at going at or beyond 110F?

How would Shiekah tech handle this as I don't think they are designed with high heat tolerance as computers are sensitive to changes like that and besides all that internal mech parts wear and tear faster causing internal damage to said tech like Guardians,Divine Beasts and maybe even to powering the shrines causing dark Shrines.

Would Guardian's/Divine Beast even risk melting out right due to running 24/7 in these f'ked up conditions? Sorry for swearing but this kind of heat is like something from a VERY bad B movie yet the weather models are not only NOT backing off from this event but a chance of a round 2 on the 4th of July.

Oh and Seattle is going to go to 105 maybe even 110F. I learned only 33 percent of Seattle's homes are AC. Seattle is least air-conditioned metro area in the U.S. So how do locals keep cool? | The Seattle Times I'd love to see an updated figure.

Last edited:
I mean... the shrines in the volcano seem to be fine, so they probably could withstand it fine. If they can handle the place that's literally on fire, then temperatures in the 100s is no sweat. The Sheikah Slate also has no protection from the elements and doesn't ever glitch out, or, melt.
Those shrines may be purposely hardened just for that area because IT IS A STUPID VOLCANO!!!
It's like the power grid in Las Vegas is designed better then the grid in Portland. Central Hyrule is NOT a volcano nor ever considered to be that way. If you read my post fully you'd see where I'm coming from. We are having ALL TIME records be broken!! So I'M curious to an ALL TIME event for Hyrule. The mother lode!!!

Having Hyrule prepare would be like NYC having tornado shelters everywhere because tornados always seem to strike NYC.

That would be game mechanics and the Shiekah Slate's temp reading DOES give 'error' report in the game which I think is Nintendo proving a point that it can glitch out but don't want to leave the player stranded as they were still reeling in from the Skwyard Sword hand holding mechanics. If they wanted to I bet they could've had various 'rune' failures including failure to fast travel if you remained in a hot enough area or hot enough for too long. Then a cool down timer would begin once you leave 'manually' said area before the slate can become usable once again.

Perhaps you could gain a skill set that lets you bypass the timer instantly fixing the shiekah slate depending how you do things: Speaking about skill sets this could apply to other durable equipment: Regular wear would still happen like swords and stuff being dulled or the Shiekah tech just aging thru general use. When blades are dulled they give less damage over time until you sharpen it either yourself or pay someone. Hot weather for too long will affect some blades more then others costing efficiency.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I think the only reason the slate glitches out in the volcano is because it's hotter than the thermometer can read. All the other functions work just fine.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Sheikah technology appears to be primarily based on some kind of energy source, as shown by how the slate can receive information from liquid energy at the towers, can dissolve into thin air when teleporting, and is used as a weapon by Guardians, as well as other instances. Given that heat is energy as well, it makes sense to me that the temperature wouldn't affect the technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom