• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild How useful do you think the handglider is going to be?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
But it's missing all the windy stuff you could do with the Deku Leaf.

And if the glider is what you use to float in the air then the little Deku Leaves probably do something else.
All the windy stuff?

Like, what? The hand glider reacts to wind just as much as the Deku leaf did.

If you are regarding it to blowing enemies away and stuff. The Deku Leaf in BotW does so that.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I expect it to be incredibly useful. It's what will allow us to not die when climbing things. Miss a step and fall? Take out that glider. Want to get back down quickly? Take out that glider. What to cover a huge distance? Get up high and take out that glider, son. I expect to be using it very frequently.

As long as there isn't some sort of meter limiting how long you can glide I think it'll be great. Find the tallest mountain in Hyrule and see how far you can make it.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
Personally... I'd rather have a bird. But we can't have everything. (me praying for the return of Loftwings)

With the ability to create huge fires and use the updraft with the paraglider, I think it will be a major asset in exploration. Much more than people give it credit for.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
As useful as Deku Nuts and the Ball and Chain...which is to say...useful to players who get creative and milk every oppurtunity, but worthless for players who are waiting for points where it's mandetory.

I think it will be quite useful in the later game when you're trying to get places quickly and just ignore enemies on the ground.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
I think it looks like a ton of fun to dive-bomb enemies. Plus the travel aspect is going to be incredibly useful when you need to travel a large part of the map, I think. Just think of how useful such a device would have been in an Elder Scrolls game.

I think it will be essential to some sort of dungeon at some early point in the game. Then it will have non-essential use at other points, like accessing secret stuff like heart pieces (or whatever the equivalent in this game ends up being).

I bet it's really convenient. It's super fast from the footage we've seen and it will keep us from getting disoriented when we try to go to something faraway from a mountaintop. If you become a skilled pyromaniac you could seriously get an upper hand in battles using updrafts. It's also required to leave the Great Plateau so it's probably pretty important.

Tibari

Rinkuji
The handglider is the most useful item in this game, since it lets you go outside of the Great Plateau.
It will also be useful to do a surprise attack, and use conveniently the slow motion feature.
And to do some epic actions by the way.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
Why does everybody insist it will be required to exit the great plateau? It's a possibility, but we've seen no specific evidence to suggest that. There's more likely a bunch of ways to get out, like how most of the game focuses on different methods of puzzle solving.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Why does everybody insist it will be required to exit the great plateau? It's a possibility, but we've seen no specific evidence to suggest that. There's more likely a bunch of ways to get out, like how most of the game focuses on different methods of puzzle solving.
Because iirc it was said both in-game by the old man and at E3 that you can't get off the plateau without dying from the fall if you don't have the glider.

I think Nintendo will find ways to work the Glider in, as far as combat usefulness and puzzle usefulness go. Really, though, I'm more excited for using it to travel. I'll probably climb mountains just to hanglide off them, not because I need to go from A to B quickly but because dang it I just want to fly some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom