• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How to Train Your Cat

At first glance, I thought that this thread would be about a new movie called "How to Train Your Cat". Just like How to Train Your Dragon before it. Sounds like a pretty good movie. But anyways, I usually use a spray bottle and teach it not to bite people, but that isn't going well.

HTTYD inspired the thread naming most definitly that movie is bomb... however if this were a thread about a movie, it would have been made in the "Entertainment" section of the forum.

I'm a proud pet owner of both a cat and a dog. The dog goes to professional training once a week... She has been through beginner and intermediate training already, and is enrolled in advanced which starts in 2 weeks. After she completes advanced she will sit for the CGC exam... (Canine good citizenship) and if she passes she can become a therapy dog and be able to go into places she wouldnt normally be allowed.

This is great for my dog, but they do not offer training for cats. Many times people claim cats are untrainable. But as one member (the name currently escapes me) mentioned. Cats are very much trainable in the same way dogs are, they just take a lot longer to 'learn' because they have so much freewill, and do not insist on pleasing their owner like most dogs do.

Precisely why I made this thread. I am doing what many claim is impossible by toilet training my cat. I was fed up with my dog getting into the litter box every day and eating/dragging the cat poop everywhere. So I looked online and found the toilet training kit and have implimented it with my cat. She showed some resistance at first and even retaliation by peeing on the bed, pooping on my husband, ect... but in the end we won the battle.

Atleast she's learning how to use the toilet faster then shes learning its NOT ok to jump on the table... Positive reinforcement works so much better with animals then punishment. Unfortunately I think a spray bottle is the only way to go when it comes to jumping/being in places the cat isnt supposed to be.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Wow, Jo, I don't know how you train them so well! We could never get our cats to do that...oh look...as I asm typing this my cat has knocked the front off the speaker and my dog is ripping a cat toy to shreds. Jo help! You could be the Cat Whisperer...like that dog one but for cats! :lol:

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I only trained my cats to sit before they get their evening food. At first my parents thought it would be impossible, but after just two days they start sitting without me saying 'sit'. I don't need to train my cats more tricks, although sit and stay would be nice (one of them wants to follow the food I'm holding and then I accidentally step on him).

purplelink

Who started saying Big Mood
it is nearly impossible our cats eat do and sleep what ever and where ever they want they even watch tv listen to our conversations its weird they even know how to open doors

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom