• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How the Split Timeline Works

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Ok, before you freak out and go all, like, "Oh, great, another timeline theory", or, "What the...? JuicieJ's posting a thread in the Theory section??", this isn't a timeline theory, but rather explaining how the split in the "timeline" works. Why am I doing this? Well, partially because I'm bored, but I also understand that there are some people out there that either don't understand it properly or don't understand it at all. I'm going to break down what happened to cause the split and briefly go into the games that go along with it. (Yeah, that's some canon stuff, but I'm not delving into the entire "timeline", nor am I delving into Zelda theory. Just facts. As usual.) So, here we go.

Ok, we all know that in no way was a split in the canon thought of from the start. I mean, who would have predicted that? Not even Miyamoto. However, two separate times were indeed created when Ocarina of Time was released. When Zelda sent Link back to his own time, a split was created to where a separate time branched off of the time Zelda remained in. All the events in Ocarina of Time right up until that point took place on a singular timeline, which is why the time paradox of the Song of Storms exists. If Link were to place the Master Sword back in its pedestal, time would just reverse rather than an actual event of time-travel occuring. However, Zelda knew what was going to happen when she sent Link back. She said "However, by doing this the door between times will be closed." She knew that she was creating a split when she sent Link back. But why would she do that? Because it was the wisest thing to do. Why is that? Read on, and I think you'll understand.

Now, some people are under the misconception that Link went through actual time travel at the end of Ocarina of Time, which is what created a split. However, this is not the case. If Zelda had sent Link back through actual time-travel, he would have landed as an adult, and that would have defeated the purpose of Link "regaining his lost childhood". Plus, this would have caused two Links to be walking around, one of which would have had no knowledge to not collect the Spiritual Stones to prevent Ganondorf from getting the Triforce. And that would have prevented the other purpose of Zelda sending him back, which would be to stop Ganondorf from touching the Triforce, just in a different way. See, he went back farther than he would have by just placing the Master Sword back in the Pedestal of Time on his own. He went back to before he'd even met Zelda. And intentionally so, as if he hadn't, Ganondorf would have already attacked Hyrule Castle. This leaves Link still going through a reversing of time as the only option of how he went back to his childhood. (Plus, an actual event of time-travel wouldn't have created a split, anyway. It just would have sent Link back in time.)

Going further into detail, I actually used to think that Nintendo would never continue on the time Link left behind, as he, well, left it behind, and the times could not be reached in any way possible. But then The Wind Waker came out, which was an obvious sequel to the time Link left behind. I remember being fascinated how Nintendo was able to make it work by having Link not have any connection to the Hero of Time. (Genious.) It was clear at this point that there was a split timeline, as Majora's Mask took place on what came to be known as the Child Timeline, whereas WW took place on what became known as the Adult Timeline. However, I later learned that Ocarina of Time was originally made as the Seal War mentioned in A Link to the Past's backstory. Since that was the case, I realized ALttP originally was to take place on the AT, as the Seal War was in the events that took place in the time Link left behind. But! Nintendo later realized that OoT couldn't be accurately used to depict the Seal War, and for numerous reasons, but mainly for two major contradictions. Link in ALttP was a descendant of one of the Knights of Hyrule that fought in the Seal War. Well, of course Link in OoT would have been that Knight. But since Link left that time behind, that ancestor could no longer have a descendant on the AT. The other main problem was that the Triforce was still split at the end of OoT, whereas it was whole in ALttP. The Dark World was created from Ganondorf's wish upon touching the Triforce in ALttP's backstory. However, he didn't get a wish granted in OoT due to the fact that it split. Due to these inconsistencies, Nintendo abandoned the adult ending of OoT being the Seal War and retconned it with WW, bumping ALttP (and its sequels) off of the AT in the process.

Now, onto the CT. MM was, again, a sequel to the time Link came back to in OoT, which at that point was the actual foundation of the split timeline, as the original four games were on the AT at that time. During the course of time in-between OoT and MM, Ganondorf was chased out of Hyrule, therefore never getting the chance to enter the Sacred Realm. However, at some point, the "divine prank of the gods" happened, in which the Triforce somehow split on its own. Ganondorf, after receiving the Triforce of Power, became "blind to any danger" and was captured by the Sages and executed. He then came back to life through means of the ToP and was sealed in the Twilight Realm. And, of course, the events of Twilight Princess occured a few generations later. After TP was released, Aonuma actually confirmed the fact that there was a split timeline by saying that WW and TP run parallel. In saying that, he said both that there's a split and that the two times cannot be reached, as "parallel" means two objects running side-by-side in a straight line and never meet. This left the canon at:

....../WW
OoT
......\MM--TP

At the moment, ALttP and it's sequels had no official placement, as it was prevented from taking place on the AT (and Ganondorf died at the end of WW), but Ganondorf also died at the end of TP and wasn't sealed in the Dark World (which hadn't been created, yet). There's the chance that Ganondorf may not be truly dead on the CT, but that's not what this thread is about, and I'm also not going to get into anything else with the "timeline". (I can't forget to say that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were later created to be sequels to WW, though, now can I? So, I said it. :D)

So, all these events are what I believe happened to create the split timeline, and what caused it to be what it is today. I'm hoping I was able to clear a couple things up with some of the people who didn't quite understand this properly (or not at all). Not saying you have to agree with this, just putting the information out there. So, yeah, that's all I've got. Thanks guys! =D

Last edited:

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
Ok, before you freak out and go all, like, "Oh, great, another timeline theory", or, "What the...? JuicieJ's posting a thread in the Theory section??", this isn't a timeline theory, but rather explaining how the split in the "timeline" works. Why am I doing this? Well, partially because I'm bored, but I also understand that there are some people out there that either don't understand it properly or don't understand it at all. I'm going to break down what happened to cause the split and briefly go into the games that go along with it. (Yeah, that's some canon stuff, but I'm not delving into the entire "timeline", nor am I delving into Zelda theory. Just facts. As usual.) So, here we go.

Ok, we all know that in no way was a split in the canon thought of from the start. I mean, who would have predicted that? Not even Miyamoto. However, two separate times were indeed created when Ocarina of Time was released. When Zelda sent Link back to his own time, a split was created to where a separate time branched off of the time Zelda remained in. All the events in Ocarina of Time right up until that point took place on a singular timeline, which is why the time paradox of the Song of Storms exists. If Link were to place the Master Sword back in its pedestal, time would just reverse rather than an actual event of time-travel occuring. However, Zelda knew that she was creating a split when she sent Link back to his own time. She said "However, by doing this the door between times will be closed." She knew that she was creating a split when she sent Link back. But why would she do that? All the events in Ocarina of Time right up until that point took place on a singular timeline, which is why the time paradox of the Song of Storms exists.
I was always under the impression that the split was created in the same way a timeline split is always shown to be created: by the person who travelled back in time changing something in the past. Zelda sent Link back in time, but Link's action of stopping Ganondorf instead of giving him the Triforce is what caused the alternate future to branch off. Sure, Zelda may have known that a split timeline was going to be created as a result of her actions of sending Link back in time, but I doubt she has enough power to create a split on her own.

Going further into detail, I actually used to think that Nintendo would never continue on the time Link left behind, as he, well, left it behind, and the times could not be reached in any way possible. But then The Wind Waker came out, which was an obvious sequel to the time Link left behind. I remember being fascinated how Nintendo was able to make it work by having Link not have any connection to the Hero of Time. (Genious.) It was clear at this point that there was a split timeline, as Majora's Mask took place on what came to be known as the Child Timeline, whereas WW took place on what became known as the Adult Timeline. However, I later learned that Ocarina of Time was originally made as the Seal War mentioned in A Link to the Past's backstory. Since that was the case, I realized ALttP originally was to take place on the AT, as the Seal War was in the events that took place in the time Link left behind. But! Nintendo later realized that OoT couldn't be accurately used to depict the Seal War, and for numerous reasons, but mainly for two major contradictions. Link in ALttP was a descendant of one of the Knights of Hyrule that fought in the Seal War. Well, of course Link in OoT would have been that Knight. But since Link left that time behind, that ancestor could no longer have a descendant on the AT. The other main problem was that the Triforce was still split at the end of OoT, whereas it was whole in ALttP. The Dark World was created from Ganondorf's wish upon touching the Triforce in ALttP's backstory. However, he didn't get a wish granted in OoT due to the fact that it split. Due to these inconsistencies, Nintendo abandoned the adult ending of OoT being the Seal War and retconned it with WW, bumping ALttP (and its sequels) off of the AT in the process.
I don't think TWW was made to remove the inconsistencies of the OoT - ALttP connection. As the developers said themselves, they don't care nearly that much for inconsistencies.

In my opinion, TWW was simply made just to be "Aonuma's version of ALttP", one that would connect to the overall story better (TWW happens because MM happens in a different timeline, but ALttP has no regard for MM whatsoever). Basically, the split was created to connect MM to the main timeline, and TWW was made to continue the AT because ALttP was not made with the split timeline in mind.

Everything else you said is solid enough. I don't agree with some things, but it's a good explanation for people who are pretty new to the split idea. Good job.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I was always under the impression that the split was created in the same way a timeline split is always shown to be created: by the person who travelled back in time changing something in the past. Zelda sent Link back in time, but Link's action of stopping Ganondorf instead of giving him the Triforce is what caused the alternate future to branch off. Sure, Zelda may have known that a split timeline was going to be created as a result of her actions of sending Link back in time, but I doubt she has enough power to create a split on her own.

She's a Sage and had the Ocarina of Time. Of course she could do that. Besides, why else would she have said that? If she couldn't do it on her own, she wouldn't have said anything about it at all.

I don't think TWW was made to remove the inconsistencies of the OoT - ALttP connection. As the developers said themselves, they don't care nearly that much for inconsistencies.

In my opinion, TWW was simply made just to be "Aonuma's version of ALttP", one that would connect to the overall story better (TWW happens because MM is happens in a different timeline, but ALttP has no regard for MM whatsoever). Basically, the split was created to connect MM to the main timeline, and TWW was made to continue the AT because ALttP was not made with the split timeline in mind.

Everything else you said is solid enough. I don't agree with some things, but it's a good explanation for people who are pretty new to the split idea. Good job.

In all reality, when it comes to ALttP and WW, it's all opinion. But I do believe this is what happened, as WW changed everything. I will say something I didn't want to bring up in this post, though. In TP, the Sacred Grove was introduced, which was in ALttP. In WW, there was no Sacred Grove. Why? Well, Aonuma implied that Ganondorf tried to break into the Sacred Realm under his own power in the time Link came back to, and demolished the Temple of Time in the process, creating what later became known as the Sacred Grove. That's one of the many reasons I think Nintendo may make a game to connect TP and ALttP.

Oh, and thanks.

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
She's a Sage and had the Ocarina of Time. Of course she could do that. Besides, why else would she have said that? If she couldn't do it on her own, she wouldn't have said anything about it at all.
She could send Link back to his original time, but that doesn't mean she can split a timeline. If she could do such a thing, then that means the whole CT is predestined and Link is just a tool of "fate" with every choice he makes leading to the same outcome. If not that, then Zelda would be risking the possibility of creating another timeline on which the exact same events take place.

I don't see why Nintendo would go for an unheard-of method of creating a split when a split is not that popular and understandable in the first place. Their best bet when dealing with this kind of stuff would be to present it in a way that people are familiar with....

In all reality, when it comes to ALttP and WW, it's all opinion. But I do believe this is what happened, as WW changed everything. I will say something I didn't want to bring up in this post, though. In TP, the Sacred Grove was introduced, which was in ALttP. In WW, there was no Sacred Grove. Why? Well, Aonuma implied that Ganondorf tried to break into the Sacred Realm under his own power in the time Link came back to, and demolished the Temple of Time in the process, creating what later became known as the Sacred Grove. That's one of the many reasons I think Nintendo may make a game to connect TP and ALttP.
Well, yeah, but no matter what you think happened to ALttP when TWW was released/being developed, I still don't think it was done to fix inconsistencies (otherwise certain other games would be trying to do a better job at connecting to it, right?). The developers have never tried to fix inconsistencies as far as I'm concerned.

And I agree that the Sacred Grove is meant to be a connection to ALttP, but not a "this game leads into this game" kind of connection. Part of my reasoning is that TP was being developed to go between OoT and TWW and didn't get switched to the CT until after most of the game had already been finished, so the Sacred Grove must have been in TP at that time (I doubt they could make a whole forest within those extra months they spent transferring TP to the Wii). If the Sacred Grove was meant to connect to ALttP in that way, then ALttP must have also been between OoT and TWW, which I doubt was ever the case. Don't get me wrong, the Sacred Grove is quite a nice and clean progression for placing ALttP after TP, but it should not be used as evidence for placing it there (besides, there are many other good reasons to place ALttP there).

Oh, and thanks.
No problem. :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
She could send Link back to his original time, but that doesn't mean she can split a timeline. If she could do such a thing, then that means the whole CT is predestined and Link is just a tool of "fate" with every choice he makes leading to the same outcome. If not that, then Zelda would be risking the possibility of creating another timeline on which the exact same events take place.

"Tool of fate?" "Exact same events take place?" No, it's the total opposite. If he'd gone back to when Ganondorf had already attacked, sure, but he went back farther than that. Returning him to his original time was mainly for him to live out his childhood. But she sent him back to before he met her so he could prevent Ganondorf from getting into the Sacred Realm, because we all know Link wouldn't just let that happen. And I really don't see why you're not giving Zelda enough credit to send Link into branched-off time. She has the Triforce of Wisdom and the Ocarina of Time. I'd say that's more than enough. I mean, it's the Ocarina of Time. Anything with time, I'm sure it could do.

Well, yeah, but no matter what you think happened to ALttP when TWW was released/being developed, I still don't think it was done to fix inconsistencies (otherwise certain other games would be trying to do a better job at connecting to it, right?). The developers have never tried to fix inconsistencies as far as I'm concerned.

It was a retcon, but they didn't let it limit what they did.

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
"Tool of fate?" "Exact same events take place?" No, it's the total opposite. If he'd gone back to when Ganondorf had already attacked, sure, but he went back farther than that. And I really don't see why you're not giving Zelda enough credit to send Link into branched-off time. She has the Triforce of Wisdom and the Ocarina of Time. I'd say that's more than enough. I mean, it's the Ocarina of Time. Anything with time, I'm sure it could do.
By "tool of fate" I meant that it can't be a different branch in time unless its different from the original branch. For this to be the case, when Zelda sent Link back in time, either the past would have to have been changed (assuming Zelda can change the distant past on top of assuming she can split a timeline is ridonculous), the present (past from her point of view) would have to have been changed (Link is the only one who made anything different as far as I've seen), or the future would have to have been changed (which means that, no matter what he does, the future will always be different from the one on the AT, which gives Link a lack of choice, hence the "tool of fate").

By "exact same events take place" I meant that, if what I said in the last paragraph is not true and Zelda does create an exact copy of the timeline as a new branch, leaving the future up to Link to decide, that risks the possibility of Link doing everything the same (pulling the Master Sword out and letting Ganondorf get the Triforce) and therefore having two perfectly identical timelines.

I don't see what the Triforce of Wisdom and the Ocarina of Time have to do with this though. The Triforce of Wisdom has only ever been shown to give Zelda the ability to change into a pink dress, and the Ocarina of Time has only ever been shown to bring someone back in time (which is exactly what it does). Nothing firmly saying "Zelda split the timeline and here's how" as far as I'm concerned.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
By "tool of fate" I meant that it can't be a different branch in time unless its different from the original branch. For this to be the case, when Zelda sent Link back in time, either the past would have to have been changed (assuming Zelda can change the distant past on top of assuming she can split a timeline is ridonculous), the present (past from her point of view) would have to have been changed (Link is the only one who made anything different as far as I've seen), or the future would have to have been changed (which means that, no matter what he does, the future will always be different from the one on the AT, which gives Link a lack of choice, hence the "tool of fate").

I see. But what you're not getting is that a separate time branched off to where the past wouldn't have to be changed to affect the time Link left behind. The two times are separate and run parallel, therefore they cannot meet and have nothing to do with each other. The time Link went back to was before Ganondorf had attacked, so it wasn't an identical split, as Ganondorf hadn't executed his plan, yet. In WW's backstory, it depicted the story of the Hero of Time perfectly as the people in that time would have seen it. Nothing in the time Link left behind was changed, nor did it need to be changed. Again, if it was actual time-travel, Link would have landed as an adult, and two Links would be walking around. Zelda's too smart to do something like that.

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
Alright then. I'll admit, though, that what you said (or at least what I could understand) did make sense, in a way. It is unlikely that Zelda would send Link back in time without knowing for sure that doing so would not completely erase her future, but then again, how did she know a split would be created? Maybe she sent Link back in time because she knew it would create a split (she dreams prophecies after all) or maybe... she created a split and sent Link into it to make sure her future wouldn't be erased. Or maybe there's the possibility that she was intending for her future to be erased, but that did not happen. It isn't easy to tell what could be the case one way or the other....

Anyway, I'm glad we had this discussion. Very enlightening.

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
That's exactly what I've been saying the whole time. Well...guess you figured that out on your own rather than from me explaining it. XD Hahaha, whatever, as long as you get it.
I know that's what you were saying; that sentence was just to say that both of our theories are equal possibilities. What was confusing me was your justification. :P

BigBig

Who needs a shield?
Me Explaining the Split-timeline.

A lot of people find the spli confusing, so I will explain it to the best of my abilities.

1. When link pulls out the Master Sword, he DOESN'T TIMETRAVEL. He is put into 'hibernation' for 7 years.

2. When he puts it back, he STILL DOESN'T TIME TRAVEL. Well, kinda. But things are 'reverted' to what they were.

3. There's only 1 link [in oot].

4. When he kills Gannon[dorf], he is returned to before he opened the door of time.

--So, here the child timeline starts.

5. HOWEVER, the time where he beat Gannon[dorf] still exists, just that Link is gone.
This is proved in the credits where the people are celebrating Gannon[dorfs] defeat.

-- Adult timeline is where Link is gone and he deafted Gannon.

The rest is very deabatable, and the time-travel stuff is just my opinion, but I hoped i made it as clear as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom