• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How should I play Ocarina of Time on pc?

This has most likely been asked before, if there are any other threads that talk about this link it please.

I want to play Ocarina of Time, this will be my first Zelda game and I want to play it on pc. I have no idea how to even start though, if anyone can give me a explanation or point me in the right direction that would be great.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
You pretty much just have to find a rom of the game in the language you want (can't provide it here, sorry), and an emulator to play it in.

I can tell you that Project64 is probably the best N64 emulator though. Finding a rom of Ocarina shouldn't be too difficult. Just look up safe websites on reddit before you do though. You don't want to get a virus or something on your laptop trying to find it.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Project 64 is the go to N64 emulator, alternatively there's also GameCube ports of OoT like Master Quest and the Collector's edition that come w/ some bonuses, you can run either on Dolphin

as to where to get the rom or iso's, you're gonna have to find those on your own

If you have a Mac, I recommend OpenEmu. It's honestly the best emulator I've ever used, with a really clean UI, and it's really simple to use. If you don't have a Mac, it becomes a little more complicated, because of the number of options out there. I do hear good things about Project 64, so maybe check that out. However, I wouldn't recommend emulating it unless you have a pretty good computer, it won't run all that well, and besides, you can get the 3DS version (which is infinitely superior) for pretty damn cheap nowadays, and have a system on which to play Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past, A Link Between Worlds, The Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, and even Hyrule Warriors Legends if you want.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I am fairly anti-piracy and generally discourage downloading roms of games unless you have purchased the game in some form (I am the same way with music). However, assuming you have the game legitimately, I've heard good things about PJ64, though I've also heard it can suffer from some performance issues and be a little buggy. In that case, RetroArch is the one most heavily recommended by the OoT Randomizer community and I've heard really good things about it.

As an aside, please keep in mind that while discussing emulators and emulation here is fine, linking roms or discussing where they can be found is against the forum rules, so there isn't much help we can give you in that area.

D

Deleted member 14134

I don't really get why people are so unwilling to post roms on here, it's not like it's a big deal anyways. You can find everything you need here, just click the "N64 Roms" tab on the side and it should be one of the top ones on the list. www.nintendoroms.com

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It's not forbidden to talk about emulators or roms. It's forbidden to talk about downloading roms for free because of piracy issues. That's one of the rules of the forums ;)
If you wanna talk about emulating a game on your pc....fine. But don't ask where to download your roms for free. Not saying you did ask where to download them for free but just a reminder

Quin

Disaster Master
Project 64 is your best bet, but N64 emulation in general is pretty bad. it will run OOT 100% fine but it already has some minor issues with MM for example
As for controller, any xbox controller would be fine and most convenient.
This is assuming you have windows atleast.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I’m actually gonna go a different route here and say that you should download a 3DS emulator instead, as the 3DS remake of OoT is much more user-friendly and up to date with current gaming standards. I believe Cirta is a good one, though I have yet to use it as I own 2 3DSs already.

Of course, I’d argue that you’re not getting the best experience unless you use original hardware, but if you’re intent on emulation that’s probably your safest bet.

Quin

Disaster Master
Maybe for citra, but for the original OOT, emulation is probably the best way to play it.
For old games, if you want authentic, you need to go full original with CRT included, but for the best quality, its mostly emulation(unless the emulator is bad or the game isn't just well supported, but you won't encounter that problem for most nintendo games,)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom