• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U How Old Was Link when He Got the Hero's Clothes?

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
In The Wind Waker it said he got it once he became of age, the same age as the Hero of Time, and it was talking about the young Hero of Time (since Toon Link was not 16... :shake:), so how old was he? 10, 11, 12, 13? Give me your thoughts 'cause I have no clue lol.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
True, it could just be the art style that kind of sets it off, even though he definitely doesn't look 16, I looked in the timeline and since it takes place in the adult timeline so you are probably right.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
Yeah I completely agree with you there, but Japanese characters never look there age, mostly anime but in video games too, like how in the original Dragon Ball Goku looked like a little kid even though he was 14 (?), it's just how they portray characters when drawn, besides, with Wind Waker's "kiddy" art style, do you think a Link that looked 16 years old would fit in with the theme?

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Toon Link's depiction really does seem to be at odds with his age, and not just in Wind Waker. However looking at that, he's definitely around the same age as Tetra, who doesn't present herself like a young child. She definitely comes across more teenage in her actions.

But it's something that always caught me off in Minish Cap as well. They seem young, but Link apparently hasn't set foot in the school in a long time. Added to that, the 'school' scene figure explains how it's where kids learn, and how Link and Zelda used to go there. So they've clearly passed that age by that game. People still treat him as 'young' so he's clearly not an adult, but he's also not like the kids.

Back to Wind Waker, this point is also shown in Komali and Medli being of age, and the youths on Windfall Island are notably smaller than Link. Perhaps they're at Young Link's age.

It is a very deceptive style, not helped by the fact he always uses young Link's voice, rather than Adult Link. However, that'd be jarring in itself, wouldn't it?

WW Link was probably around the same age as OoT [Child] Link, judging from his grandmother's story, which alludes to the Hero of Time ['s era]. And while the HoT's age was never disclosed, many fans peg it at around 9 or 10. However, I'd imagine that he was somewhere around the age of 12 or some other milestone age. What I mean by "milestone age" is an age at which a given person is old enough for a given task; where a "milestone" in maturity has been reached, so to speak. (For example, the age of 18 is the legal age of adulthood in the real world.)

At any rate, seeing as WW Link was old enough to wear the Hero's Clothes. It can be assumed that he reached some kind of milestone age. Whatever that milestone age was - or what it was based on - remains unknown.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
But it's something that always caught me off in Minish Cap as well. They seem young, but Link apparently hasn't set foot in the school in a long time. Added to that, the 'school' scene figure explains how it's where kids learn, and how Link and Zelda used to go there. So they've clearly passed that age by that game. People still treat him as 'young' so he's clearly not an adult, but he's also not like the kids.

Hmm, I'd Imagine in Hyrule they finish school under our normal age, maybe something like 12, it's just the style they use that makes him appear so young, it is very deceptive, they're just trying to appeal to younger audiences, and Nintendo really doesn't think these kinds of things through very much to make it make sense.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I read a bunch of replies and they all pretty much make sense to me, but I want to bank on the idea that Toon Link is twelve years old. He doesn't have the voice let alone the demeanor for a 16 year old -- yes I realize that not every 16 year old is the same but in generally a teen would have a tighter head on their shoulders. Link however, he rushes into situations just because he can. He doesn't understand much of the outside world, a trait naturally inhibited by island-dwellers, and even when he does come to terms with new things he still acts like a child.

A short, funny (to me) way to put it;
Grandma: Here are your new clothes! ^.^
Link: I am 12 nd wat is dis ._.

Also, wasn't the HoT's age confirmed to be 17? He's a young adult in OoT as I recall. I could always be wrong, though.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
Meh, I guess it would make sense if he was 12, regardless of the timeline split, wouldn't both Young Link and Adult Link's stories be passed on through both the adult and child timelines? And I really don't think Young Link was 9 or 10, 12 makes sense to me on that aspect really, for some reason I can kinda see Toon Link being 16, but just not 17, not at all, but 12 fits his looks that's for sure. And maybe as for the school part, maybe they stop school after Elementary age? That makes the most sense to me.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
That I recall no ages were confirmed in OoT. Nor do I think ages were given in the Hyrule Historia. The only time we know about is the 7 year gap between the two times. If you include other games I think only one gives an age at all, and that's Zelda 2. At the very least, its instruction booklet does.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
I looked it up and Miyamoto confirmed Adult Links age in Ocarina of Time as 14-15 (15 is the age of social adulthood in Japan, but not legal adulthood), and since seven years passed between Young Link and Adult Link, that would make Young Link 8, (which makes sense, he is a child, I can't really see him being 12 now that I think about it), but now onto The Wind Waker, 15 or 8? He really doesn't look like 15, but definitely not 8 (think of the little kids that are like 5 years old, does that look like a 3 year difference?) so, my guess would be 15, he just looks a lot younger due to the art style, maybe the reason he's still treated like a kid is because he's not quite a legal adult, most adults in America would consider a 15 year old still a kid (not like a 5 year old but still not mature enough to be anywhere close to an adult), as for the school thing, there was also a school in Wind Waker, and if the Elementary thing is true then you could slash Toon Link being 8 out, besides, those kids look no where near his age. And one more thing (I'm starting to ramble), look at the kids in The Wind Waker, look at Link, look at an 5-8 year old kid, and look at a 15 year old, the differences are almost directly proportionate, he just looks young in face, height and voice because of the art style, once again, trying to attract younger gamers to a new generation of Zelda, that's really all there is to it, so my verdict? Toon Link is 15.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Maybe Hylians ages differently?

Anyways this is something i never gave any actual thought to, I always just assumed he was like 13 or something.

Side note didn't the instruction manual of OoT tell us his age? I seam to want to think it did for some reason.

And no, in adult time line child link wasn't the one who defeated the evil, in the child time line adult Link was a memory only to Link himself (and we know how talkative he is.)

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
Whoa really? Well, since Adult Link was the only one remembered in the adult timeline then I think we've really just discovered Toon Link's age :O, that is until someone comes along to contradict it but really, I don't see any contradictions and this is the only one that seems likely, whoa.

Did anyone play Super Smash Bros Brawl? The trophy for toon link said that he was 13 years old lol you guys are good at guessing with the information given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom